Issues with automation in Ableton

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Issues with automation in Ableton

Postby djschmidi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:43 pm

I checked the manual and didn't find this in there. I'm trying to simply select an ST3 parameter (filter frequency) in an Ableton (v9) track for drawing in arrange mode automation. There was no obvious way to select this.

I then clicked the Ableton GUI shell/container for ST3 and clicked "configure" which normally allows me to click a knob/slider in a plugin and it will populate to the Ableton GUI with the parameter allowing for automation. This did not work either.

Does this mean that ST3 does not allow automation in a DAW unless I Learn/map a GUI parameter to a physical midi controller?
djschmidi

Re: Issues with automation in Ableton

Postby djschmidi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:46 pm

I can use the Live plugin GUI "configure" to learn Macros 1-8 which would work, however, I am unable to change the ST3 Macro assignments!

Is there at least a way to remap the Macros in ST3?

If I hit "control" in the ST3 Edit page, I can only remove Macros, not add them!
djschmidi

Postby DarkStar » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Nope, Macros cannot be remapped.

But you can Learn any other control in ST3 and assign a MIDI CC number.

As with ST2, most of ST3's automation is done with MIDI CC messages; VSTi parameter automation is only used for a few controls (Volume, Pan and the Macros)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby djschmidi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:41 pm

I really appreciate your input Darkstar. You help out a ton on here!

dang...that really sucks on both the Macro and interface level! I suppose it would be tricky to have all parameters available in automation lanes given there are 16 channels of said parameters...But no user assignable macros is very sad!

So does this mean that each and every time I want to record a new track with ST in it, I have to first map every parameter to a physical control source in order to automate it? What a creative vibe killer!

I suppose i'll just find a sound and sample it into a Simpler in Ableton for a work around.
djschmidi

Postby ethanscott1996 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 pm

So is sample tank the only way out of this issue still? I just downloaded syntronik a week or two ago and love it but can't configure any of the controls to ableton live. I don't understand what midi cc or control numbers are. Could you guys spread the wealth of knowledge?
ethanscott1996

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More