Control Change don't work with SampleTank 4

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Control Change don't work with SampleTank 4

Postby Largojsb » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:24 pm

Hello,
I installed SampleTank 4 Max V2 earlier this year and noticed the following problem :
Control Change 7 (VST volume management) is not taken into account. The only possible alternative is automating the track but it is very restrictive because once fixed, the volume can no longer be easily modified... unlike the automation of VST via Control Change.
Other CC are not taken into account: CC1 (Modulation), CC10 (Pan).
I use Cubase 13 and this issue does not occur with my other VST (Halion Sonic, FM8, Massive, Absynth, etc...).
Does anyone know how to fix this ?
Thanks
Largojsb

Re: Control Change don't work with SampleTank 4

Postby Promidi » Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:42 am

What I did is create a mapping for CC7 > volume (and CC10 > pan) on all 16 parts, then save this as a multi.
Promidi

Postby Largojsb » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:43 pm

Hello,
I don't understand your suggestion.
What do you mean by "create a mapping for CC7" and how do you do it ?
Thanks
Largojsb

Postby Promidi » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 pm

You right click on a parameter in Sampletank (in your case, a volume or Pan). Click “MIDI Learn”. Then move a slider on on your MIDI controller.

That will create a mapping between that slider on on your MIDI controller and that parameter in Sampletank.

Of course, this relies on your MIDI controller actually transmitting MIDI events when a slider is moved.

See the Sampletank user manual, sear for “MIDI Learn”.
Promidi

Postby Largojsb » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:25 pm

Hello,
Thank you for this informations that I tried to put into practice :
1)I launched a Cubase project containing a ST4 track including a CC7.
2) I edit the instrument and I obtain the ST4 screen.
3)I right click on the volume button and select Midi Learn.
4)A window appears saying "Move the control on your midi controller that you want to assign to this parameter"
And I don't see how to "move the control on Cubase". Could you tell me ?
At the same time, I asked the question to IKM support who does not understand my problem. They have tested and, for them, the CC7 works correctly even though I sent them a video of my screen showing that the CC7 does not work with an ST4 instrument while it works with 3 other VSTs.
I think you have the same issue since you looked for an alternative solution.
Do you know why Control Changes are not taken into account by ST4 (I don't know if this issue exists for all instruments or only for some) ???
IKM support tells me it comes from my DAW but, from my point of view, Cubase sends MIDI CCs the same way regardless of the VST they are intended for.
I wanted to attach a photo of the MIDI editor of the instrument track showing the positioning of the CC7.... but it doesn't work.
Thank you for your help.
Largojsb

Postby Promidi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 pm

I don't know why, be default, Sampletank has not been programmed to respond to CC7 or CC10. However, like I said, you can map MIDI to parameters in ST4.

Do you not have a MIDI keyboard (also called a MIDI controller) that can transmit MIDI?

If you do have a MIDI keyboard that can transmit MIDI, then you don't even need a DAW to create the mapping.

If you have a MIDI keyboard, then open up ST4 Standalone. Then when ST4 says "Move the control on your midi controller that you want to assign to this parameter", then move the slider on your MIDI controller.

If you don't have a MIDI keyboard, then get one.

Until then, when ST4 says "Move the control on your midi controller that you want to assign to this parameter", you need to find a way to get Cubase to send the single CC. I do not use Cubase, so I am not sure how you would go about that. Probably just create a MIDI track with just that CC in it and just put the play head before that CC and hit play.
Promidi

Postby Largojsb » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

Hello,
Of course, I have a MIDI keyboard but I don't manage CC from that keyboard. I only use the keyboard to record tracks in my DAW and to find the sounds that suit me on my different VSTs.
Once my tracks are recorded, I only work with the DAW for mixing (and, among other things, volume variations on some instruments which are easier to achieve by CC than by automating the track) .
As indicated in my previous message, the Control Change I may need are integrated into the relevant instrument track. These CCs work great with all the VSTs I use...except ST4.
Unless I misunderstood your previous message, you have no solution to have CC7 taken into account by ST4 from my DAW.
If so, thank you for your help... and I will continue to manage the sound level variations of ST4 instruments through automation.
Largojsb

Postby Promidi » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:42 pm

I already told you how to create the mapping.

You have a MIDI keyboard. Simply move the volume or pan after clicking "MIDI Learn" in ST4. Most MIDI keyboards will transmit CCs when moving sliders.
Promidi

Postby Largojsb » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:41 pm

I'm sorry but I misunderstood your previous message. I thought that "MIDI Learn" only managed the association between ST4 and a MIDI keyboard.
So I did the manipulation with the keyboard by displaying the ST4 instrument that I use in my Cubase project. And after that, the CC7 included in the track of my Cubase project was taken into account.
But this is the first time I've dealt with a VST that doesn't "naturally" recognize Control Changes.
I don't understand why ST4 has this particularity... and I doubt that IKM Support will answer me on this point.
In any case, thank you for your patience.
I don't know how to indicate that this topic is closed. If you know, please do it for me.
Largojsb

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More