How to relocate VirtInst file to External Disk?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How to relocate VirtInst file to External Disk?

Postby chuckolucas » Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:23 am

I appreciate any help and I am sure I am not the first person to ask this question.
- If there is a guide or best practices for moving stuff to an external disk I will try to read that first.

I started loading products a long time ago by downloading to the local disk. Now, I have run out of room so I would like to move all my virtual instruments and plugins to a new external drive.
Sample Tank with Miroslav, Syntronik and Pianoverse take up 300gb of my 480GB drive on my iMac Air.
Here are some questions which someone may know the answer(s) to.

Can I install or reinstall:
all of my IK apps on an External drive (2tb with 950gb r/w speeds)
Leave the apps by install the sounds externally?
Can I download and directly install everything on an external disk or do I have to move files from the local disk to external disk.
Do I need or can I create an alias to help move most of the files to the external drive?

Thank you for your time!

BTW, love the sounds for Pianoverse, Bx3 and a long time fan of the modeling stuff!
chuckolucas

Re: How to relocate VirtInst file to External Disk?

Postby DarkStar » Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:56 pm

Leave the software programs and plug-ins where they are.

You can move the complete sounds library for each of the products to a different folder) on your other disk).

Then run each standalone program and in its Preference Settings, select the new destination folder. Remove the old folder entry if needed. It may take some time for the program to rebuild the database cache.

When you done that for a program, rename the old sounds library folder and run the program. Check that its sounds can be loaded and played OK. If everything is OK you can delete the sounds library from your local disk. Repeat for each program.

Also, you do not need to keep the downloaded files in the IK Product Manager's "downloads" folder. You can back them up to an archive disk (just in case you need them again), then delete them. (You can also download them again from the IK Multimedia web site, but that could take some time, depending on your broadband.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More