DMG files, can they be deleted?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

DMG files, can they be deleted?

Postby SenecaReader2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:48 am

in IK Product manager there are all these big sized DMG files on my Mac, are these actually used by Sampletank? Aren't they just installation files, and can they be safely deleted?
SenecaReader2

Re: DMG files, can they be deleted?

Postby DarkStar » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:00 am

Are these in the downloads folder that is used by the IKPM?

If so, then yes, your can delete them. But it would be better to back them up to an archive disk first, so that if you need them again you would not need to download them again (saving time and possibly a Downloads Reactivation fee).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby SenecaReader2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks. Yes they have been found by CC Cleaner Pro on my Mac, it says 'junk files that have not been used'. Already cloned the whole drive with the amazing Sampletank loaded and working, which I can even use as boot disk by just plugging in, so I don't really need to do any more backups :)
SenecaReader2

Postby darkogav » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:19 pm

FWIW..I keep all the old SampleTank download files. I place them on a separate drive.
darkogav

Postby SenecaReader2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:39 pm

I would too, but I would never have the patience to reinstall all these huge files manually.
SenecaReader2

Postby darkogav » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:30 pm

SenecaReader2 wrote:I would too, but I would never have the patience to reinstall all these huge files manually.

I went through that ordeal not too long ago. It took forever. LOL!! Now I am thinking maybe next time i'll just use Jam points to get credits in future. It was a bitch and half to re-install from scratch all those zip files.
darkogav

Postby SenecaReader2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:57 am

DarkStar wrote:Are these in the downloads folder that is used by the IKPM?

Actually, I don't know. They are in Documents> Ik Multimedia product manager

I think that yes it should be downloads only, they are the image files, or dmg. What do you think?
SenecaReader2

Postby SenecaReader2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:00 am

darkogav wrote:
SenecaReader2 wrote:I would too, but I would never have the patience to reinstall all these huge files manually.

I went through that ordeal not too long ago. It took forever. LOL!! Now I am thinking maybe next time i'll just use Jam points to get credits in future. It was a bitch and half to re-install from scratch all those zip files.

No kidding it would be a bitch. Which is why I clone my hard drive regularly, plus I am getting another drive just for backups.

I am getting old and have no time to babysit crazy computers anymore :)
SenecaReader2

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:27 am

SenecaReader2 wrote:

Actually, I don't know. They are in Documents> Ik Multimedia product manager.

I think that yes it should be downloads only, they are the image files, or dmg. What do you think?

That folder is, I think, the default downloads folder used by IKPM. You can check it / change it is IKPM's Preference Settings.

They are the download files, not needed to run the software. Back them up and delete them then check that the software all runs OK.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DarkStar » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:30 am

PS If you understand what you are doing, you can just back-up the complete INSTALLED library and delete the downloaded files. Then if you need to, just bring the library back from its archive.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby SenecaReader2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:36 am

DarkStar wrote:PS If you understand what you are doing, you can just back-up the complete INSTALLED library and delete the downloaded files. Then if you need to, just bring the library back from its archive.

Yep, like I said earlier, I clone the ENTIRE drive. The aim is to avoid wasting time reinstalling anything
SenecaReader2

Postby SenecaReader2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:40 am

DarkStar wrote:
SenecaReader2 wrote:

Actually, I don't know. They are in Documents> Ik Multimedia product manager.

That folder is, I think, the default downloads folder used by IKPM. You can check it / change it is IKPM's Preference Settings.

They are the download files, not needed to run the software. Back them up and delete them then check that the software all runs OK.

Yeah I had cloned the drive before deleting them, all seems OK. Had it not worked, it would have been a simple matter of starting up from the usb cloned drive. So yeah it looks like all is well :) thank you
SenecaReader2

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More