B-3X Two Keylab Essential 61 Controller for Upper/Lower

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

B-3X Two Keylab Essential 61 Controller for Upper/Lower

Postby maprifi » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:21 pm

Hi there
I want to use the B-3X with two midi controllers to play upper and a lower manual. Specifically, I would like to buy a second Arturia Keylab Essential 61 as a lower manual. I already use such a controller successfully with the B-3X software. The idea is to layer these two controllers in an overlapping manner. The lower controller serves only as a lower manual. The knobs, faders and buttons are covered by the upper controller and are no longer accessible. The upper controller acts as upper manual and controls also the functions of the B-3X. Is that possible and how do I have to wire the keyboards, the computer and the interface together for this purpose? Maybe important to mention that these controllers only have a midi-out, no midi-in.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards, Martin
maprifi

Re: B-3X Two Keylab Essential 61 Controller for Upper/Lower

Postby dougs.ik » Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:14 pm

I have been doing exactly what you are describing with a pair of m-audio Axiom 61 1st generation keyboards. The only controls for the bottom keyboard that are exposed are the pitchwheel and modwheel. Here is a link to how I used On-Stage products to create a stand that has the keyboards very close together.

https://community.cantabilesoftware.com ... ig/633/315

To answer your question, I control everything with the upper keyboard controls except the lower keyboard's drawbars. Since it's for bass and comping I don't change those much so if I do I rely on sending a preset change from my VST Host - Cantabile
dougs.ik

Postby maprifi » Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:23 pm

Hi doughs
Thank you very much for your answer. I didn't know the m-audio axiom. I like your stand with the two keyboards one above the other in close distance.
My installation is for home use only and sits on a Rhodes 73 piano. I have to admit that it's not comfortably to play on a seat but ok when standing.
I placed the upper keyboard directly on the lower, using a squared timber with the hight of the keyboard controls as a frontrail between them, so controls of the lower are completely covered and the B-3X is controlled with the upper keyboard only. In the back I mounted a support on the wall for the upper keyboard. It all works fine. The distance between the two manuals is 7,2 mm which is 0,6 mm more than on a orignal Hammond Console.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zr8BVmhYoFoJeyyKrbP3Wpo_a51GyEQk/view?usp=sharing

Greetings Martin
maprifi

Postby reuelt » Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:47 am

maprifi wrote:Hi there
I want to use the B-3X with two midi controllers to play upper and a lower manual. Specifically, I would like to buy a second Arturia Keylab Essential 61 as a lower manual. I already use such a controller successfully with the B-3X software. The idea is to layer these two controllers in an overlapping manner. The lower controller serves only as a lower manual. The knobs, faders and buttons are covered by the upper controller and are no longer accessible. The upper controller acts as upper manual and controls also the functions of the B-3X. Is that possible and how do I have to wire the keyboards, the computer and the interface together for this purpose? Maybe important to mention that these controllers only have a midi-out, no midi-in.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Kind regards, Martin

Do Arturia supply any software to program the buttons and sliders and knobs of the Arturia Keylab Essential 61?
I use two M-audio Oxygen 61 (gen 1) MIDI keboard contollers and I could use a program called ENIGMA to reprogram all the buttons and sliders and knobs.
So I have the top keyboard controlling all the functions of the Upper (swell) B3-X manual and the lower keyboard controlling all the fuctions of the the Upper (great) B3-X manual.
I am able to program ALL the other functions programable with MIDI CC without altering even one B3-X factory defaults.

Reuel
reuelt

Postby dougs.ik » Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:19 am

Since Arturia is the developer of many great synth VST's their software is aimed more at that integration than for the keyboard to be a controller for your DAW. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment on how easy it is to change settings.

I do have a comment on this. Enigma stopped working after Windows 10 update 20H2 so I created a one page helpsheet on the changes I needed to make for it to work with B-3X. I tried to change everything I could in the VST host software so that only some minor edits are needed on the keyboard itself. Once I got used to the process of choosing a controller, editing it's parameters and saving I wasn't as concerned about trying to get Enigma running again. I do have an old Windows 7 laptop that will run Enigma but I don't have to bother getting that out just for editing the keyboard knobs and sliders.
dougs.ik

Postby reuelt » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:00 am

dougs.ik wrote:Enigma stopped working after Windows 10 update 20H2

True.
I have a Dell laptop upgraded to Win11 from Win 7x64 and then win10x64 that I can dual-boot Windows XP from a HDD in the Expansion Bay to run M-AUDIO's Enigma program. (I also use Windows XP to run E-MU Xboard control program to program my EMU Xboard 61 MIDI keyboard controller)

By programming the keyboard Controller with Enigma, it is possible to assign not just CC# but also specify MIDI-Channel to each button, slider or knobs.
So even though the upper keyboard is MIDI Channel 1 and lower keyboard is MIDI channel 2, the buttons or sliders or knobs or the lower keboard CAN still be assigned to Channel 1 for example to trigger all B3-X MIDI controllable functions.
reuelt

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More