Q for Users of SampleTank 4, Reaper DAW, Win10

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Q for Users of SampleTank 4, Reaper DAW, Win10

Postby ChrisHeinen » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:34 pm

Hi fellow ST4 users... Is anyone here actively using SampleTank 4 with Reaper DAW on Win10 ? If so, could you take the time and let me know your experiences with the following...

1. Are you using the VST2i or the VST3i ?

2. In Reaper, when adding a VSTi to a track, you can optionally select "Run As..." with several choices. Which do you use ?

3. Is ST4 in Reaper stable for you (e.g. have you noticed any anomalies/crashes in sessions with ST4 on a track) ?

4. Do you typically run only one instance of ST4 with multiple instruments in that instance (e.g. separate parts in ST4) or do you typically run multiple instances of ST4 on separate Reaper tracks (e.g. one instrument/part per ST4 instance) ?

I'm wanting to "compare notes" on these topics with other forum readers.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
ChrisHeinen

Re: Q for Users of SampleTank 4, Reaper DAW, Win10

Postby DarkStar » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:59 pm

I am using Windows 7 here.
A1: VST2i (no-one has confirmed any advantages of using the VST3i)
A2: No special options
A3: Stable
A4: Both - separate instances if I want to freeze them individually.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby meridian_smith » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:12 am

I can't get any of IK's products to load properly in Reaper. Sampletank4 just loads a blank FX window. . . when I try to close that window Reaper crashes. It seems to work for other Reaper users. . but not me. ..very annoying! I payed for Sampletank4 MAX.
meridian_smith

Postby dctoe » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:13 am

I noticed you asked this question a while ago and I wanted to confirm your question with some answer specific to what you asked.

Running SampleTank 4 Max on Windows 11 in REAPER 7. Been using REAPER since Version 5.

i5-9400F - 16GB RAM - 1TB SSD (for running programs) - 2TB for storing sound banks and samples. (Time to buy a newer system after the holidays).

I have not experienced any issues running any IKM programs in REAPER. I have only experienced crashes when I get impatient loading samples and start trying to do other stuff before letting everything load. That causes problems with anything though. I also use NI, UVI and Arturia plugins and the same thing happens, so it's not an IK problem.

I don't know what the benefits of using VST2 versus VST3 is. I have begun using VST3 for everything because I don't know when Steinberg/Yamaha will pull the belt tighter on VSTs and we find ourselves struggling to work with the old format. So I use VST3 whenever it's available.

I've had no problems using the two together, as I do use some Open Source stuff that only comes in VST2. I have not experienced the same issues that some people have reported with VST3s.

Regarding track work: I typically run ST4 as a single module and route tracks to it as needed. I would rather run it on each track separately, but I try to be nice to my CPU because I often have other things running on other tracks. MixBox, TRackS5, Amplitube, _, Toontrack, Hammond B-3X, etc. LOL!

So... to try and make sure that I don't overload the CPU\GPU, I keep an eye on that meter. But that is me and my compositions can become rather track intensive. It gets crazy in here. However, for some of my smaller stuff; I have run a couple of tracks with separate ST4 instances. Truth be told... on two of those, I did end up consolidating them down to one ST4 and using individual outputs in REAPER to process them separately.

My advice on that would be "You do you." Whatever works to blossom your creativity is what you probably should do. My ideas come and go very quickly, so I often will use individual instruments to tracks just so I can get my idea down quickly; and then come back later and sort it all out.

Well, I hope better late than never and helpful. I have found that going digital has really stressed my workflow. There are so many options and choices that I have lost a few ideas to just getting going. Not like the old days when my biggest interruption was striping my sequencer to a tape track before getting busy. :P

Good luck and happy creating!
i5-9400F @ 2.90GHz 16GB RAM
Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
ASUS 24" Mon - 6TB - Storage HDDs
Win11 Home
dctoe

Postby limestone » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:19 am

1. Are you using the VST2i or the VST3i ?

2. In Reaper, when adding a VSTi to a track, you can optionally select "Run As..." with several choices. Which do you use ?

3. Is ST4 in Reaper stable for you (e.g. have you noticed any anomalies/crashes in sessions with ST4 on a track) ?

4. Do you typically run only one instance of ST4 with multiple instruments in that instance (e.g. separate parts in ST4) or do you typically run multiple instances of ST4 on separate Reaper tracks (e.g. one instrument/part per ST4 instance) ?

I'm wanting to "compare notes" on these topics with other forum readers.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Cris, I've been using IK sampletank since 2.x on Win Vista, which feels like something less than a thousand years ago. I have reaper up to date on win11, i7-11000, 32gb ram. So:

1. vst3i
2. I do not use "run as...", I just load vst3 as an fx on a track.
3. version 4 is very stable for me on win11 as of this date.
4. 99% of the time, I run one instance of ST4, keep midi data on other tracks, and route the midi tracks to the track that ST4 is on. But, I do NOT do complicated 64-128-256 midi track orchestration/scoring. 16 available tracks of midi is almost always plenty for me.

Feel free to message me privately if I can be of help.
limestone

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More