ST4: articulations fot the Basses?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

ST4: articulations fot the Basses?

Postby ronniez28 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:13 am

Hi All,
Does anyone know how to do a super basic note bend with any of the Basses in ST4? I'm not at all a keyboard player so I mouse click and build all of my tracks in my DAW's Piano Roll. I can do bass slides fine in the piano roll but I don't see any articulations for anything else:( mutes, hammer ons etc). Is there a CC map that I'm missing? I see a "KS" next to a lot of instruments which I'm guessing means Keyswitch, but I don't see or can't find what it does. I'm currently using the
Ricky 4001 Sunburst if that even makes a difference.
Thanks Much!
ronniez28

Re: articulations

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:04 pm

Sadly, key-switching is not described in the ST4 User Manual.

Here is an extract from the ST3 User manual (I cannot recall how ST4 implements it)
Multis can contain three different kinds of Instruments in SampleTank 3: First, there are standard Instruments like pianos, organs and synths. Then there are “multi-articulation” Instruments that use key switching, velocity switching or mod wheel switching to change between different performances of the same sound such as a violin that is played with sustaining notes, staccato notes or pizzicato notes. The articulation switches are indicated by gray icons next to the Instrument name: KS for key switch, VS for velocity switch and MW for mod wheel switch.

Key switching Instruments let you press specific keys in the low register to act as buttons that change the articulations. They are indicated in red on the SampleTank 3 keyboard. Velocity switching Instruments play different articulations selected by how hard you press the key. And mod wheel switching moves between different articulations depending on the position of the modulation wheel.

Key Switch Instruments show the switching keys as red or dark gray on the SampleTank 3 keyboard. Red indicates the active articulation. To see a description of the available articulations within a Key Switch Instrument, click any of the coloured keys to open the Key Switches window that shows each articulation labelled on the switching notes.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: articulations

Postby ChrisHeinen » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:02 pm

DarkStar wrote:Sadly, key-switching is not described in the ST4 User Manual. (from ST3 manual...) To see a description of the available articulations within a Key Switch Instrument, click any of the coloured keys to open the Key Switches window that shows each articulation labelled on the switching notes.

Thank you for retrieving this from the ST3 manual (I don't have ST3...) because I didn't realize ST4 did this. However, I have not discovered how to have it show a "Key Switches Window" as described. Maybe that feature is depricated?? Hope not. Similar to the OP, I'm interested in seeing the keyswitches "at a glance" too, for the purpose of using Miroslav Philharmonik 2 instruments in ST4, and it has many instruments pre-programmed with this feature...

As always, thanks for keeping the conversation about ST4 going... :)
ChrisHeinen

Re: ST4: articulations fot the Basses?

Postby ronniez28 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:51 pm

Thank You DarkStar,
I haven't read through the ST3 manual, but I sure will now. I've been using ModoBass for several years now but I just think that the ST basses sound much better, even though they may use the same processing. I'll keep "plucking" away at it.
Thanks Again!
ronniez28

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:43 pm

Well, I've done some research ...

For info, I do not have the full ST4 library installed here.

This is how (ST3) key-switched instruments can be found in ST4:

I selected the ST3 library, then "Strings" and typed "KS" into the search filter.

When loaded, it looks like this:

The articulation keys are shown on the virtual keyboard in dull red, the currently selected articulation is in a bright red, and its name is shown in the instrument slot, below the instrument name

And, you can see the full list of articulations in the Edit panel:

----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby ChrisHeinen » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:23 pm

Doh! I never thought of checking out the edit panel for articulations. :o Thanks for this...
ChrisHeinen

Postby ronniez28 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:29 pm

Well, once again DarkStar, you ROCKED it!!!
That's precisely the answer I was looking for, especially with the numbered arrows!! Seems that you even helped MR. ChrisHeinen out which I'm sure is hundreds of times better at this stuff than I am! This may actually help me reduce my blood pressure medicine :P . Unfortunately there were no Basses with keyswitches but that's okay, I've been playing around with the Elements and Oscillators in the edit panel and getting some decent note bends but still working on some Hammer-ons.
Once again, Thanks So Much!
ronniez28

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More