Difficult and frustrating experiences with Miroslav and ST

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Difficult and frustrating experiences with Miroslav and ST

Postby kalessin » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:24 am

Hello
* I am having a difficult and frustrating time with IK Support over problems with Miroslav and Sampletank. I have a new high-end audio PC and am trying to install my legacy versions of Miroslav 1 and SampleTank 2.5 so I can revisit some older productions. In addition I purchased Miroslav Philharmonik 2.
* I can install Miroslav 1 and SampleTank 2.5 but cannot authorise as IK seem to have closed the authorisations options for these legacy programs. I really don't like the interface on SampleTank 4 and/or CS and also want to be able to use my older Combis and Presets, and I do not want to have to learn a complicated and unintuitive new instrument interface from scratch. SampleTank 3 looks very strange on my 4k screen, tiny and unscaleable, so that doesn't help.
* I have asked IK Support to allow me to authorise these on my new PC and they repeatedly tell me just to install ST4 CS and load the sounds on there ... which is the opposite of what I want, as well as not being at all clear how to do it.
* I then bought and installed Miroslav 2 (with the enforced installation of ST4 via the IK Product Manager). It shows as successful but M2 will not open (it simply comes up as 'failed to open *.*).
I have asked IK Support about this and sent screenshots and they came back with the unhelpful answer "oh it's fine, you can load the sounds in SampleTank 4, you need to import them".
* They then asked me for the serial numbers of my older products, which I supplied, and they wrote again saying "you will have no problems loading these sounds in ST4".
* I have just asked I can PLEASE have a support CALL with someone who actually uses the programs and/or can make changes at the authorisation end for me.
* I don't understand why it has become so difficult with what were originally extremely user-friendly, high-quality plug-and-play VST instruments.
* The installers are also problematic - I have followed the process (the only choices you have are where to install VSTs) but I now see IK folders, presets and files all over my C: drive, in the Documents folder as well as in Programs, and I don't seem to be able to put samples into my preferred library locations.
* All I really need now is someone who is confident and competent with the software to assist me with hands-on reinstalling or problem-solving, and just any quick answers about the new IKM approach to managing sound libraries, and perhaps some sort of point-and-click explanation of the opaque iPad style interface on ST4/CS if I really have to understand it.
* Back in the old days I remember calling the lovely Paul K from IKM in the UK who was patient, knowledgeable, kind and effective. I wonder if he is still reachable. The current support replies are literally ignoring or deliberately misreading my requests and simply refer me repeatedly to ST4 with no details, saying "you will have no problems".
* No doubt many people will wish to troll and insult, feel free :lol: . I have installed NI Komplete, EW Composer Cloud, Cubase 12, Waves, 8Dio, Best Service, Antares Pro and many other music programs and libraries on this new PC and everything is working fine (including sound libraries, program files and VSTs all being nicely organised in preferred locations). This is definitely an IK-specific issue.
* If anyone has any suggestions about to break through the walls put up by IK Support, or a phone number, or a fix, or as an expert user wants to offer me some tech support (I'm more than happy to pay a consultancy fee if the problem is fixed eg. I have my legacy instruments and Miroslav 2 working at the end), then I would be extremely happy to hear from you!
* Please don't posit comments about system diagnostics, Windows versions, RAM/hard disk space, virus checkers etc., reinstalling OS, firmware etc. etc. As mentioned I have every other music software and DAW tool as well as countless plugins all working fine. The PC is barely sweating with an i9 and 20+ cores, multiple NVM and SSD drives. Also I only use licensed products.
THANKS for listening!!
Kalessin
kalessin

Re: Difficult and frustrating experiences with Miroslav and

Postby DarkStar » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:52 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have run into and can understand your frustration.

A1: Authorizing ST2.5 and MP1:
I believe that some users used this Authorization Manager
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/authorizationmanager/
or, try this page:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/registration/

A2: Loading into ST4
ST4 cannot import / load sounds from ST2.5 or MP1 (unless a big change has been implemented recently)

A3: MP2 fault
You may have run into the "VPA problem". As I understand it the latest MP2 installer (v2.0.6?) does not install one essential file. Go to your User Area / My Products for MP2, click on [Past Releases], download and install v2.0.5. After that, install v2.0.6 (you can get that version there too).

A4: Phone Support
I do not know if such a service is available.

A5: Locations
The software by default is installed into sub-folders in the Program Files (or Program Files (x86) folders, Some supporting folders, for Presets etc) are created in the Documents folder. S for the sounds libraries their location can be selected in two ways
-- by running the stand-alone program and specifying the desired location in the Preference Settings
-- where available, in the IK Product Manager, selecting "... More options", then "Install to..." for the sounds library.

Have a look at the IKPM Tips thread: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26365

If you have already installed any libraries, they can be moved relatively easily .
+1 for Paul K, he helped me out too, over the years.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby kalessin » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:41 pm

A3: MP2 fault
You may have run into the "VPA problem". As I understand it the latest MP2 installer (v2.0.6?) does not install one essential file. Go to your User Area / My Products for MP2, click on [Past Releases], download and install v2.0.5. After that, install v2.0.6 (you can get that version there too).

Yes! That worked ... Thanks so much for this very useful contribution. :D
kalessin

Postby kalessin » Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:13 am

I believe that some users used this Authorization Manager
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... onmanager/
or, try this page:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/registration/

I tried this and it appeared to work, but when I open Miroslav and ST I still get the "x days left to authorise", and the authorisation code request option is no longer available (I have authorisations left but there is no button to request). The digital ID linked to the serial is (I assume) my old computer which is why the previous authorisation codes are not accepted.

I painstakingly explained this in repeated support emails and am asking just to be able to get these products authorised, but the replies are surreal and hilariously unhelpful, for example:

Looking into your account, it seems you already have ST3-CS available in your User Area. With that said you will simply need to download and install. Thereafter you may proceed with the following: SampleTank 3 CS can import and use your sounds from SampleTank 2 L/XL, SampleTron, SampleMoog, Sonik Synth 2, Miroslav Philharmonik (CE), and the Xpansion Tank 2 titles.

I explained AGAIN that
(a) I have the full versions,
(b) I want to use my combis and the original instrument interface, and
(c) that SampleTank 3 CS (and in fact all ST versions from 3 onwards) have a horrible iOS-style interface that does not scale properly on my 4k screen and that does not offer any kind of straightforward functionality as I do not want to have reinvent all my patches - which are working fine on the original VSTs when I load them here.

I then get this kind of follow-up:
I am awaiting the serial necessary.
Once received I can get back to you and proceed with a method of action.

I've provided the serials. Nothing new.

Thanks @DarkStar, you have been very helpful, but I just don't know why they are being so unresponsive with a pretty simple query that shouldn't require much work - but more irritating, seeming to deliberately misunderstand and not even try to answer my specific questions.

I sadly doubt it will work, but I may try calling their various numbers (I have an Italian friend who can perhaps help), and I may have to resort to the "Do you know who I am" or "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells" customer approach :evil:

I still have emails from Paul K (at least 6 years old) but I guess I could see what happens there too.

Thanks again and any other suggestions welcome!
Kalessin
kalessin

Postby DarkStar » Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:58 pm

Report back to Support that the methods on those two links ran into problems and request further advice. (Yes, you would need to generate a new Digital Id on your new system.)

The info about you having ST3_CS Registered to your account is new. Support is suggesting that you install / authorize that program, Then use it to Import all your legacy libraries (St2.5, MP1 etc) into ST3-format. Then install / authorize ST4 and add the ST3 library path to ST4's Preference Settings. \that way you can use the legacy libraries in ST4. But I understand that you do not wish to go down that route.

You mentioned that the GUI for ST3 onwards does not scale properly on your 4K screen. Aren't the ST2.5 and MP1 GUIs pretty small too (and they weren't too big / clear on non-4K screens anyway).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby kalessin » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:08 pm

Thanks @DarkStar

I have, but customer support are just not replying (and when they do, it is with these one-liners that don't answer my Qs). I'm sure they mean well, and I know this isn't a huge company. I like their products and want to support them. As mentioned I just bought Miroslav 2, I also bought a license transfer and an extra authorisation credit as I thought that might be the answer (it wasn't). I will happily accept that wasted £30 if they could just fix this.

Here is Miroslav 1 - perfect, readable, movable ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m7zs4tww87328m/p2.jpg?dl=0

The same with SampleTank 2.5 - note the move and minimise options as above too ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2i2wenmod0olm7/p3.jpg?dl=0

Now look at Miroslav 2 - tiny, non-scaleable ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/74z2rf2hb84li9i/P1.jpg?dl=0
ST3 and CS are the same (I uninstalled them)

And here is ST4 - hogging the whole screen with it's entirely un-intuitive interface with no hover tips, ambiguous buttons, and look: no move, resize or minimise option ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9k8s3hecpcaaz68/Picture4.jpg?dl=0
... back to using ALT+TAB when I want to see my DAW :shock:

MP1 and ST2.5 are also working perfectly but I won't have them in 1 day! All someone needs to do is either
(a) re-open the authorisation function on the website temporarily, or just for me - or
(b) clear my digital ID and allow me to authorise as if for the first time - or
(c) advise me on how to make it work

The old authorisation manager says "successful" when I put my serials in but it doesn't work. The new one doesn't list the legacy products but I can register the serials and it says "successful" but also doesn't work and doesn't show them in the notifications.
Also, a lot of the weblinks relating to authorisations and instructions don't work (especially those embedded in the authorisation tools)

This is just a lack of coding, probably on the assumption or hope that everyone should upgrade (although I consider the newer versions less appealing and user-friendly). If they wanted to make that process more bearable, then the ST3 and 4 interfaces should be better, the instructions about importing legacy sounds MUCH more straightforward, the ability to import combis, patches and FX should be there, and support should be ready to talk me through it in detail rather than brushing me off!

Anyway, it's only mildly therapeutic being able to vent about it, it's more frustrating seeing MP1 and ST2.5 working perfectly and feeling that IK are deliberately blocking me from being able to use them and don't care!

Here is a snippet of one of my older tracks using MP and ST that I really would like to mix and finish:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pus4jrwm4t0i55u/Las%20Estrellas%20-%20Rough%20Mix%20Sample.wav?dl=0
The thought of reprogramming from scratch is traumatic ...

Oh well. Thanks again
Chris
kalessin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More