SampleTron 2: I need a Loops 101 session: I don't understand

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTron 2: I need a Loops 101 session: I don't understand

Postby helier » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:21 pm

I have never paid attention to audio loops because I don't use them. I just don't know how.

I have recently got my SampleTron 2 installed (thanks to Darkstar) and the excellent interface allows easy access to loops. The snag is, when I go up and down the keyboard, the speed changes instead of the pitch which is what I would expect.

As a result, they are all useless to me. I like the old Talent Maker loops but I cannot use them in my productions.

Can someone set me straight?
helier

Re: SampleTron 2: I need a Loops 101 session: I don't unders

Postby Steve-xyz » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:35 pm

helier wrote:The snag is, when I go up and down the keyboard, the speed changes instead of the pitch which is what I would expect.

I haven't gotten into importing loops into SampleTron 2, but if you've ever worked with tape loops, you would know that playback speed changes pitch. Not sure where your expectation is coming from.

For example an A 440 Hz tone recorded at 3 3/4 ips and played back at 7 1/2 ips is going past the tape head at twice the speed, or 880 Hz. [Hz = cycles per second, ips = inches per second]

Its not an either-or thing (speed v. pitch). Basically, a sustained tone of any frequency within the audible spectrum will sound an octave above since the frequency is doubled.

There's more to it in terms of samples, sampling, looping samples, etc.

If you are talking about rhythmic samples or loops as opposed to sustained tones, the rhythm will also be 2x the speed if the tape is played 2x the speed.

Hope this helps in terms of the speed-pitch theory.
Steve-xyz

Re: SampleTron 2: I need a Loops 101 session: I don't unders

Postby helier » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:44 pm

Hi Steve

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am familiar with tape loops and the speed/pitch relationship. In this case, I am not importing loops as WAV files into SampleTron2 (not sure if I even can or want to). Let me clarify.
I use ST2 as a vst instrument in Cubase. All instruments in ST2 are MIDI. If I call up a loop like Talentmaker loop 08, I get a guitar picking sample which I can record as a MIDI instrument. As you said, the higher I play on the keyboard the higher the pitch AND the speed.

My basic question is: how useful is this in my music production if I cannot manipulate pitch or tempo?

I am wondering if this is more of a Cubase issue.
helier

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More