Slow download / install speeds

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Slow download / install speeds

Postby Nikmuzka » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:08 pm

[split from the: Official Syntronik 2 Mac/PC Wish List! thread, for focus and clarity]

I wish it installed faster, i thought it was download speeds but it seems to be the installer. Galaxy has been installing for almost 7 hours today. In 2 days i have installed just 5 synths. At this rate i will have installed all 33 in around 2 weeks time lol. Ive tried both the IK product manager and from my account but both are painfully slow

Cant wait to check them out though
Nikmuzka

Re: Slow download / install speeds

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:31 pm

Typically the install of a Syntronik 2 sounds library should take minutes, not hours.

What are your system specs?

Other users may chip in with ideas, but meanwhile, the best thing to do is contact Support, after searching the FAQs, on the IK Multimedia web site.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby zzz00m » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:57 pm

Just a quick thought on the install speed, and disk utilization.

The installation actually involves 2 steps.
1. Unzip/unpack the downloaded file. This creates an uncompressed copy of the installer.
2. The installer runs from the uncompressed file, and places the installed content in the selected library location.

Step #1 could take longer if you create the uncompressed file on the same drive as the downloaded file, because both the read/write activities are sharing a single drive. If you can use a secondary drive for writing the uncompressed file to, it will go faster as you are avoiding a bottleneck.

Step #2 could take longer if the target installation folder is on the same drive as the uncompressed installer. A similar read/write bottleneck that can be avoided by using a different target drive.
zzz00m

Postby Nikmuzka » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:42 pm

DarkStar wrote:Typically the install of a Syntronik 2 sounds library should take minutes, not hours.

What are your system specs?

Other users may chip in with ideas, but meanwhile, the best thing to do is contact Support, after searching the FAQs, on the IK Multimedia web site.

I am using a 2021 m1 MacBook Air with 8gb ram.

I have tried installing to the inbuilt ssd and my external crucial x8 ssd. Both are really slow. I have installed maschine kits and ableton devices and sample sets that have all been as fast as they usually are. It’s only my syntronik synths taking ages. They are taking hours. I have installed mod drums from the same app and they were ok. Maybe 5-10 mins each kit
Nikmuzka

Postby Nikmuzka » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:17 pm

I am still trying and this is probably the worst experience I have ever had of downloading content for vsts. As I very slowly worked through installing the synths individually I came to Syntronik 2 cs (I have this and Syntronik 2 max). It installed ok but shows all synths as now installed in the product manager but still showing the number of files still be installed for each synth. Which I guess is all the presets as I'm getting a couple in there app for each synth.

Now it wont let me install those files in the product manager, I click install to, select destination and nothing happens. I tried to download from my account in the website and some wont download and others are showing errors when opening them. This is the 3rd day of trying to install syntronik 2 and many hours wasted.

going to contact tech support though had hoped I wouldn't need to for such a simple process :(
Nikmuzka

Postby Nikmuzka » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:41 am

Update. A week later and I’ve installed the sounds for 16 synths, an average of 2-3 a day. I should have them all installed in around 2 weeks at this rate. 3 weeks to install syntronik 2 lol

Messaged support and got nothing back.
Nikmuzka

Postby Monkehfu@1975 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:47 pm

The speed from IK is laughable.

Just downloading the IK Product Manager is challenging enough. A 104MB application download should not take longer than 60 seconds. I'm still waiting 2 hours later as IK's servers/CDN stops a 6MB and the download speed drops to 0.

This is the second time downloading the product manager.

Then there's trying to install ANY application. Amplitube 5 CS is 3GB, yet IK's CDN only lets you download at 240kbps. My estimate was 52 days to download CS.

Why is IK's solution so poor? I can usually download a 3GB file in a matter of minutes, but no, not with this software.

I've got so bored arguing with the product manager that it's put me right off using IK software. Didn't have this issue with Native Instruments and their set-up is almost identical.

I've read all of the excuses on the forum from IK, mainly pointing the blame at the end user, but this is definitely an issue with IK's delivery. Why. can't we just download the app installers separately? But then if it tales 3 hours to download the product manager, then I see no hope moving forward.
Monkehfu@1975

Postby zzz00m » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:46 pm

Monkehfu@1975 wrote:The speed from IK is laughable.

Just downloading the IK Product Manager is challenging enough. A 104MB application download should not take longer than 60 seconds. I'm still waiting 2 hours later as IK's servers/CDN stops a 6MB and the download speed drops to 0.

This is the second time downloading the product manager.

Then there's trying to install ANY application. Amplitube 5 CS is 3GB, yet IK's CDN only lets you download at 240kbps. My estimate was 52 days to download CS.

Why is IK's solution so poor? I can usually download a 3GB file in a matter of minutes, but no, not with this software.

I've got so bored arguing with the product manager that it's put me right off using IK software. Didn't have this issue with Native Instruments and their set-up is almost identical.

I've read all of the excuses on the forum from IK, mainly pointing the blame at the end user, but this is definitely an issue with IK's delivery. Why. can't we just download the app installers separately? But then if it tales 3 hours to download the product manager, then I see no hope moving forward.

In my experience IK's CDN has been one of the fastest I've used. Sounds like a network routing issue between the CDN and the ISP at your location. Suggest opening a support request with IK.
zzz00m

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:55 pm

The above is correct. Just also tested from multiple non-IK locations (which doesn't matter since we use a CDN which distributes the load and is not at any IK office) and the speed was fast. It seems something is up either with your provider or somewhere between you and the CDN or similar. Your provider can assist you if you need to troubleshoot your connection using traceroutes etc. If you want to explore more options and get advice and assistance from IK, the IK Support team will also be more than happy to help you.

I know it can be frustrating when things don't work as expected but please note that there are rules to posting in this forum and even in frustration posting needs to remain civil and non-disparaging.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ramseysounds » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:45 pm

I've done a download speed test and with the cat 6 connection I have it says 900 mb/s. IK servers downloading at 44mb/s and freezing. Brand new PC here. Windows 11 64 gb ram, super quick. What's the issue IK? Thanks
ramseysounds

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:34 pm

ramseysounds wrote:I've done a download speed test and with the cat 6 connection I have it says 900 mb/s. IK servers downloading at 44mb/s and freezing. Brand new PC here. Windows 11 64 gb ram, super quick. What's the issue IK? Thanks

I'm not seeing slow results and you can see others above with great results. I'd suggest opening a ticket with IK Support as well as consulting your internet provider as there are a number of things that can affect downloading from a remote service/site.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More