Hammond B-3X and expression pedal

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3X and expression pedal

Postby danwat1234 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:10 am

[Split from the Official Hammond B-3X Wish List! thread. for focus and clarlity]

ATJohnson83 wrote:I just bought the b3x and it is wonderful however I am not seeing a way to calibrate the expression pedal. I am using a korg expression pedal with my controller and it does not respond accurately to the software expression pedal. Is this something that can be fixed in b3x or is it a hardware issue?

Also, would be lovely to be able to CC the keyboard split.

+1 !
I also would like a way to remap, as in be able to change every X to Y value. % activated the pedal says it is versus the software pedal. Because, I plug the expression pedal into my JG3 Tech pedal board, which converts to digital to MIDI then a device to convert to USB. It does not translate the analog to digital linearly at all. Using a Yamaha FC7 pedal it is useless. Software pedal just moves at the very end of physical pedal movement.
Using an M-Audio EX-P pedal is usable but still not optimal. Most of the movement in the software pedal is from the last bit of physical pedal movement, but better than the FC7.

Is there a way to do this manually by editing a file now? Anyone recommend a device devoted to plug the EX-P into to USB instead of thru the bass board?
danwat1234

Re: Split from: Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!

Postby Raydyo54 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:08 pm

danwat1234 wrote:
ATJohnson83 wrote:I just bought the b3x and it is wonderful however I am not seeing a way to calibrate the expression pedal. I am using a korg expression pedal with my controller and it does not respond accurately to the software expression pedal. Is this something that can be fixed in b3x or is it a hardware issue?

Also, would be lovely to be able to CC the keyboard split.

+1 !
I also would like a way to remap, as in be able to change every X to Y value. % activated the pedal says it is versus the software pedal. Because, I plug the expression pedal into my JG3 Tech pedal board, which converts to digital to MIDI then a device to convert to USB. It does not translate the analog to digital linearly at all. Using a Yamaha FC7 pedal it is useless. Software pedal just moves at the very end of physical pedal movement.
Using an M-Audio EX-P pedal is usable but still not optimal. Most of the movement in the software pedal is from the last bit of physical pedal movement, but better than the FC7.

Is there a way to do this manually by editing a file now? Anyone recommend a device devoted to plug the EX-P into to USB instead of thru the bass board?

This sounds more like a pedal compatibility issue. There are two "standards" for pedal wiring. One used by Yamaha(and others) and one used by Roland (and others) What you are describing is exactly the symptoms of a Yamaha pedal being connected to a Roland-style input. The FC7 is a great pedal for the price. You can fix it by reversing the wiring between tip and ring in the pedal, its connector, or or in the JG. You can also buy adapters that do this for you without getting out the soldering iron. Google it.
Raydyo54

Postby danwat1234 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:39 pm

Raydyo54 wrote:This sounds more like a pedal compatibility issue. There are two "standards" for pedal wiring. One used by Yamaha(and others) and one used by Roland (and others) What you are describing is exactly the symptoms of a Yamaha pedal being connected to a Roland-style input. The FC7 is a great pedal for the price. You can fix it by reversing the wiring between tip and ring in the pedal, its connector, or or in the JG. You can also buy adapters that do this for you without getting out the soldering iron. Google it.

Thank you. After reading that, i bought a BOSS/Roland EV5 and tried it. It just twitches a little randomly through the entire pedal movement and the same no matter the position of the grey dial on the pedal too. So that rules out that the wiring is reversed. The M-audio pedal works the best through the jg3 tech pedal board. Don't want to hijack this thread.
danwat1234

Postby Raydyo54 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:53 pm

danwat1234 wrote:
Raydyo54 wrote:This sounds more like a pedal compatibility issue. There are two "standards" for pedal wiring. One used by Yamaha(and others) and one used by Roland (and others) What you are describing is exactly the symptoms of a Yamaha pedal being connected to a Roland-style input. The FC7 is a great pedal for the price. You can fix it by reversing the wiring between tip and ring in the pedal, its connector, or or in the JG. You can also buy adapters that do this for you without getting out the soldering iron. Google it.

Thank you. After reading that, i bought a BOSS/Roland EV5 and tried it. It just twitches a little randomly through the entire pedal movement and the same no matter the position of the grey dial on the pedal too. So that rules out that the wiring is reversed. The M-audio pedal works the best through the jg3 tech pedal board. Don't want to hijack this thread.

Sorry about that. I was sure that was the problem. I hope you can return it. Agreed - off topic. I'll shut up now.
Raydyo54

Re: Hammond B-3X and expression pedal

Postby ababab251 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:03 pm

And I have tried unsuccessfully to use the Moog EP-3 connected to a HOTONE Ampero Control unit (to convert CV to MIDI). The Ampero supposedly has a pedal configuration option that supposedly calibrates to the full sweep of the pedal. The EP-3 is useless unless its potentiometer is set all the way up. I set the Ampero to send MIDI CC 11, tried all the expression curve options on the Ampero config app… and still get very unrealistic results… minimum volume yes when pedal is all the way up, but achieve maximum volume with only 50% depression, often with a lot of jerkiness.

Having much better luck for live performance with a BOSS FV-50L, but this is useless for DAW recording of course.

Are there any settings in B-3x that can help out here (haven’t figured out whether “Latch” should be on or off for expression pedal. Are there any better CV=>MIDI converters out there?
ababab251

Postby ababab251 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:42 am

Anybody splurge on the Hammond EXP-50j to determine if the claim below is true when connecting to B-3x (https://hammondorganco.com/exp50j-2):

“The Expression Pedal of Classic Hammonds had a very unique response or “curve”. No other Expression/Volume pedal has ever matched it’s unique feel. Many Hammond Players have developed their styles with regard to this. The Exp-50J is the same size, has the same “feel”, and most importantly, has that same “curve” as the Classic B-3. Every Hammond player will feel right at home wiith this pedal.”
ababab251

Postby ababab251 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:35 am

Eureka! I was able to achieve a smooth expression pedal curve with:

1) Nektar NX-P (yes, that $20 pedal!) connected to:
2) DOREMiDi MPC-10 Expression Pedal Converter ($45) connected to USB MIDI
ababab251

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More