Using Syntronik 2 to Generate Crazy Noise

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Using Syntronik 2 to Generate Crazy Noise

Postby Steve-xyz » Sat May 14, 2022 10:34 pm

If any one is interested in using Syntronik 2 Instruments to generate crazy, electronic noise, you might want to experiment with the phaser filter and playing with various settings such as cutoff, resonance, feedback, and depth. Maybe it will work for you, too.

So, if you are into controlling noise and you find you can do it on your computers with Syntronik 2, I recommend recording the audio because on several occasions, the extreme variations caused Syntronik 2 to crash on my system. (I wish I had recorded some of those noise jams, myself!)

Not sure if everyone can access these whacky sounds on their computers, but if you are into crazy noise stuff, it might be worth a try.

WARNINGS: Don't try with headphones on, keep the volume low when you start and don't crank it up high, etc. Not sure if this voids any warrantees (IK Multimedia, PCs, etc.). Experiment at your own risk!!!!!!!
Steve-xyz

Re: Using Syntronik 2 to Generate Crazy Noise

Postby Steve-xyz » Sun May 15, 2022 5:54 pm

I was thinking of contacting support to see if they thought this was an issue, and if it was would it be helpful to have specifics of some of the crazy sounds I have been making, but (1) the support web pages are set up for users who want solutions to problems and (2) since I like some of those sounds I have been making, I am not sure I want the synths "fixed." They are more like "Easter Eggs" for those of us who want to make these kinds of sounds. (I do wish that they wouldn't crash Syntronik 2, though.)
Steve-xyz

Postby Steve-xyz » Mon May 16, 2022 11:17 am

More info about making crazy sounds with Syntronik 2 (originally written for a thread about issues with the String Box):

Based on the SH-V Boomy Square filter issue in a different thread, I started playing with the filters in other instruments. As I commented above, I found that some of the filters, especially the phaser filter, were easily kicked into an extreme mode where I could play the settings and do weird noise jams.

I found other peculiarities with some instruments when playing with the filters, but I was more interested in finding uses for the oddities rather than systematically trying to confirm what some people call bugs. (When I get lemons, I make lemonade.)

Details: With String Box's Bodegraven presets, I played around and got some more really cool crazy sounds. Analog: It almost feels as if some max/min/range trim pots were not adjusted properly at the factory so with some settings it is nice and easy to take advantage of self-oscillations, or something like that.

With the Bodegraven presets (especially in phaser mode), it was possible to play resonance and other parameters in such a way that modulation settings would drive the pitch of the of crazy sounds in a musical way (for people who like to make use of what others might call noise). This seems consistent with what at least one other user on a different set of issues described as running hot.

I hope IK doesn't "fix" what they might see as a "bug," but if they are so inclined, I hope they would add an "EXTREME" switch so this crazy sound generator feature can still be used, perhaps without the occasional crash--which could very well be an unrelated issue.

NOTE: While editing this, I pulled up one of the presets and may have stumbled onto the virtual trim pot which might need tweaking in order to avoid the crash. If I can cause the crash predictably in the same way with other instruments, I will share my findings.
Steve-xyz

Postby oqpoil » Mon May 16, 2022 2:27 pm

:lol: :lol:
Steve-xyz wrote:I hope IK doesn't "fix" what they might see as a "bug," but if they are so inclined, I hope they would add an "EXTREME" switch so this crazy sound generator feature can still be used...

You killing me Steve.

Do want i report this bug to IKM support or not :lol:
oqpoil

Postby Steve-xyz » Sat May 21, 2022 12:43 pm

oqpoil wrote::lol: :lol:
Steve-xyz wrote:I hope IK doesn't "fix" what they might see as a "bug," but if they are so inclined, I hope they would add an "EXTREME" switch so this crazy sound generator feature can still be used...

You killing me Steve.

Do want i report this bug to IKM support or not :lol:

After spending more time with Syntronik 2 and the presets as they work in ST4, I have decided it is not a reportable bug. My reasoning: (1) Probably a large number of Syntronik users primarily use the factory presets which have been well crafted and don't display bugs related to extreme settings. Probably a large number also tweak the factory settings. (2) Any one courageous enough to do extreme tweaks or extreme preset design can (a) avoid problematic settings or (b) make use of the problematic settings. There are other reasons, but those are the main ones.
Steve-xyz

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More