midi configuration for Hammond B-3X

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

midi configuration for Hammond B-3X

Postby Busybee1952 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:03 pm

I have an old Electone HC-2 keyboard organ with 2 manuals and foot pedals (circa 1990) with simple midi outputs of channel 1 for the upper manual, channel 2 for the lower manual, and channel 3 for the pedals. I've connected the midi ports to a Presonus audiobox 96 audio interface which is in turn connected to a windows 10, 64 bit computer. I'm running Studio One, 5, Artist edition for my DAW, and I cannot get the proper configuration so that the output channels on my Electone will match the Hammond B-3X. I've tried everything I can think of but I'm also a beginner so maybe I missed something? Will I end up having to buy a midi controller to get this to work properly? Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Pat
Busybee1952

Re: midi configuration for Hammond B-3X

Postby DarkStar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:29 pm

As your keyboard sends the MIDI on 3 different channels then the B-3X should be able to use that MIDI. You need to set the MIDI channels in B-3X's Preference Settings and make sure that all the MIDI gets through Studio One unchanged to B-3X.

You should not need a separate MIDI controller.

Can you Record the 3 MIDI streams in Studio One?

Where are you getting stuck?

----------
PS I removed your duplicate post, to avoid confusion / inconsistent advice.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Busybee1952 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:50 pm

Thank you for your reply. Sorry about the duplicate post but my computer said my connection timed out just as I hit "submit" so I thought I had to do it over.

In Hammond, Advanced, I have upper/lower/pedal hi-lighted.
In Hammond, Direct inputs, I have my Electone set for midi inputs 1, 2, and 3
In Hammond, upper right hand corner by the cog wheel, Electone HC-2 is hi-lighted
In Studio One Track Info, Hammond B-3X is the instrument, and next to it, I only can choose 1 midi input which is set to 1 ( I think this may be a problem)
Below that in Studio One, I have "all inputs", then, "None", then "Hammond B-3X"

If I play notes on the upper manual of my Electone, it shows me playing both the upper and lower manual of the Hammond. If I play notes lower than middle C on the upper manual of my keyboard, it shows that I'm playing the pedals as well. So, it appears that it's splitting even though I have "split" turned off. If I play the lower manual of my Electone, it shows that I"m playing the upper and lower manuals of the Hammond, and if I play notes lower than middle C, it also shows me playing the pedal.

I downloaded and ran Midiox to see if data was being received from all 3 midi channels and it is fine so I'm lost. I haven't tried recording a midi file yet. Not sure I know how to do that yet.
Busybee1952

Re: midi configuration for Hammond B-3X-Solved

Postby Busybee1952 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:00 pm

I think I've just solved the problem!! There is an option to split the midi channels in the edit function of Studio One for my Electone. I checked that, then opened 2 instances of the Hammond with Channel 1 in the first one and Channel 2 in the second instance and I am now getting the correct sounds from both manuals! So simple and yet who knew?
Busybee1952

Postby DarkStar » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:29 pm

I am glad that you have got it sorted out. :)

There is probably a way in Studio One to use a single instance of B-3X driven by notes on all three MIDI channels. Maybe a Studio one user will chip in with advice, so I'll leave this thread open for the moment.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Busybee1952 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:35 am

Thanks. It still doesn't work right but I'm closer than I was before. The sounds are not right and it skips some of the notes I'm playing. Oh well. I'm just going to use the stand alone version because that works pretty well. Maybe Santa will bring me a new keyboard for Christmas this year.
Busybee1952

Postby DarkStar » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:37 pm

That's a long time to wait :)

Can you try a different DAW?. Reaper is free for 60 days (and is easy to remove) or WaveLab 11 perhaps?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Busybee1952 » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:47 pm

I will give those two a try. Thanks! Nothing ventured, nothing gained and I've gotten really good at uninstalling! LOL
Busybee1952

Postby Retsoor » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:53 am

Wave Lab doesn't support VST instruments, this is a Cubase job.

But since this post is here, can I ask DarkStar a question about controlling the features in the B-3X (Standalone) with my Studio Logic NC2x keyboard (and a MOTU M6 interface) running on my desktop DAW. MOTU is connected to the desktop via USB2, my NC2x is connected to my desktop via USB MIDI, as well.

Here's where I'm confused. Opening the B-3X in a Cubase project, I can use USB MIDI into Cubase13 and it can receive a few MIDI commands automatically. Not a lot, but I can certainly record MIDI with it in Cubase. BUT!!!! I think I am suddenly realizing that the Standalone version DOES NOT recognize the USB MIDI connection from the NC2x. Is this correct?

When I open the Audio/MIDI tab, as I get down to the 'MIDI INPUT' panel, when I open it for my connection options, I see, from top to bottom: MOTU M Series MIDI In/NC2x/MIDIIN2 (NC2x)/Any. The entries that I can click on to install in that window is: 'MOTU M Series MIDI In', and 'Any'. And either of these options do not result in a MIDI connection to the Standalone B-3X VIA MY USB MIDI CONNECTION.

Does the B-3X in Standalone mode recognize ONLY the typical MIDI cable connection to my MOTU - and NOT the USB MIDI connection to my desktop that I can use in Cubase13? I am confused here, thanks for an answer.
Retsoor

Postby DarkStar » Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:42 pm

The stand-alone B-3X program should be able to use the same MIDI connection as you have configured in Cubase. Check the settings in Cubase and set the same in the B-3X program.

Also, if you can, try plugging the keyboard MIDI Out into the MOTU MIDI IN (if it has such an input0 and try that.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More