Hammond B-3X: External Leslie Control Switch

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3X: External Leslie Control Switch

Postby Mikemusic66 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:10 pm

[Mod note: moved to appropriate forum]

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, and I could use some help finding the answer to my question below.

:?: Is there any type of external switch that I can purchase to control the leslie cabinet in the Hammond B-3x software?

The reason for this question is that I want to be able to control the leslie cab on the fly during recording as opposed to going back and playing around with the R/W switches in Cubase 11 Artist Pro.

Any help would be appreciated very gratefully.

Sincerely,
Mike Gregg
Mikemusic66

Re: External Leslie Control Switch

Postby garfy » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:13 pm

Hello Mikemusic66 and welcome to the forum.

By default, the Leslie speed in B-3X is controlled by CC#64 which is normally sustain. So if you have a sustain pedal connected to your controller keyboard then that can be used as a footswitch. Set it to Latch in the Settings menu and a single tap will switch the speed up or down.

Alternatively, you can change the default CC# in the Setting menu to anything else you may have that sends out MIDI messages. For example, changing the CC to #1 will mean you can use your Mod wheel as the switch, which is much more akin to the hand operated switch on a real Hammond.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Re: External Leslie Control Switch

Postby Mikemusic66 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Hello Garfy,

Thank you for the quick reply.
I am not as well versed as you, so I now need to ask where/what to do change a CC#. Your suggestion of the mod wheel is great. I am using Yamaha YPG series, 88 key, as my hardware piano and midi input.

Thanks again, now I just hope my old brain has enough hp to get this done! LOL

Thanks again,
Mike Gregg

SYSTEM:
HP Tower:1Tb SSD, 1Tb external ssd
Yamaha YPG, Windows 11, Cubase 11 Art Pro,
Software: IK, Native Inst,XLN,East/West
Mikemusic66

Re: Hammond B-3X: External Leslie Control Switch

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:41 pm

1 Click the cog wheel to open the Settings
2 Drag the Leslie Speed CC number up/down to change it, or click the [Latch] button.

Note that you can change the other CC numbers too and MIDI channels etc
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Mikemusic66 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:33 pm

Hello Darkstar,
Wow, thank you for such a fast and informative response.
As soon as i get home from work i am going to try your suggestion.
Sincerely,
Mike Gregg

Wisconsin
Mikemusic66

Postby peterbeng » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:14 am

Hello, I hope, anywhere can help me!? I have now Hammond B-X3, and it plays wonderfull with my Keyboard Yamaha DGX-305. This Keyboard has no "mod wheel"! The Sustain Pedal does only Sustain, also the Organ, but no switch the Leslie. What can I do for this? Thanks and musician greetings Peter Bengelmann
peterbeng

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:05 pm

peterbeng wrote:Hello, I hope, anywhere can help me!? I have now Hammond B-X3, and it plays wonderfull with my Keyboard Yamaha DGX-305. This Keyboard has no "mod wheel"! The Sustain Pedal does only Sustain, also the Organ, but no switch the Leslie. What can I do for this? Thanks and musician greetings Peter Bengelmann

That controller appears to only have a pitch wheel and that does not typically send MIDI CC messages. The keyboard itself doesn't appear to transmit any CC messages outside of a few only via the accompaniment, song, or harmony functions so that would not work either.

I gathered this from the MIDI Implementation Chart for that keyboard: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/19628 ... l?page=105
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby ptolomeo007 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:27 pm

Hi friends my question is very simple, how can i have leslie speed in my afterttouch, i have it in other hammond libraries, but no one is so close to the real thing as th bx3
I already have sustsin pedals volume pedals bypass pedals for my harmonizer so i dont have more space for another pedal
My solution would be to have my leslie speed in the aftertouch so i wont be nnecesary to take my left hand d from my piano and control all the expression and the performance with just one hand , without adding more pieces
Inwill appreciate your fast answer i am touring using main stage and the hammond is essential
Thanks Alejandro Lerner 40 years performance carrera ptolomeo007@hotmail.com
ptolomeo007

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More