Syntronik 2 Installation steps - just for info

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Syntronik 2 Installation steps - just for info

Postby DarkStar » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:46 pm

This is done using the IK Product Manager ("IKPM") and is posted here just for info.

-- run the IKPM and log in
-- set the IKPM downloads folder if needed
-- select the Software tab
-- navigate to the Syntronik 2 software and click [Install]
-- respond to the installer's prompts / choices
-- when complete, Cancel the suggestion to install the sounds

-- in Explorer or Finder double-check that there is enough disk space for the download files AND for the installed library

-- switch to the Sounds tab in the IKPM
-- for the Syntronik 2 library, click "... More Options" then "Install to" and navigate to the desired destination folder (e.g. L:\IK Multimedia\Syntronik 2), create it if you need to
-- once selected the download starts straight away (So make sure that you get it right),
-- go grab a coffee, while the sounds files are copied to the destination folder

-- when complete, Register your Syntronik 2 Serial Number

Now you can run Syntronik 2:
-- it will start to build its cache DB
-- I Cancelled this and went to Settings / Library to check the library paths
-- the default path (C:/Users/Public/...) was listed
-- as I have Syntronik 1 installed the ST3 library path was listed too
-- all looked OK, so I clicked [Rescan All]
-- it looks like the scan scans the complete ST3 library looking for Syntronik 1 instruments, rather than just in the relevant folders (reported to Support)
-- so I went for another coffee
-- 10 minutes later the scan completed and I was in business.

Finally, I copied the IKPM downloads folder to a back-up disk and emptied the IKPM downloads folder.

I got a Firewall Alert on the standalone as it did not have a digital certificate (reported to Support).
Last edited by DarkStar on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added the disk space check
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: Syntronik 2 Installation steps - just for info

Postby DarkStar » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:13 pm

I then updated ST4 (to v4.1.5).

On loading ST4, a DB Build was triggered. After it has completed ONLY Syntronik instruments (and only some, not all, of them) were available. I closed ST4, and did a "Restore my Purchases" in the Custom Shop. On restarting ST4 the DB Build was again triggered and this time all the expected libraries, including the Syntronik 2 instruments, are available.

Then, on loading Syntronik 2 again, another DB Build was triggered (again scanning the complete ST3 library). All the expected sounds are available.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Chrisk-K » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:25 am

1. Do I need to uninstall Syntronik 1 before installing Syntronik 2 to avoid potential issues?

2. Relatedly, do I need to delete all the dmg files of Syn1 before installing Syn2?

IKM's install process has been always tricky, so I'd like to be extremely careful.
Chrisk-K

Postby DarkStar » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm

No and No.

Syn2 does NOT replace Syn1 on disk or in your projects.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby sean8877 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:43 am

Thanks for this info. I came here to ask if the Syntronik 2 Max sound content can be installed to an external hard drive since it's 200gb (my main HD is already almost full). I'm guessing by your example that this is possible? Can I install all of the sound content to an external drive? Thanks.
sean8877

Postby soundwand » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 am

Yes you can install it on an external drive.

Mine runs from a USB3 SSD. Took about 8 hours to download and install. After that it rebuild the Database when I first opened Syntronic 2 and everything was fine. Double check the library path in the settings, to make sure it will find the external drive.

After I that used a sync program (pure sync) to backup the usb SSD to a usb HDD (both have 2 Terabyte). Since USB HDD are cheap (about 50 euro here) i have two of those as a backup. On the USB SSD I have all my sounds from Syntronik, Sampletank, Sampletron etc. Also all my Cubase Content and some other sample libraries.

So I have all my sound content on 1 SSD and as backup on 2 HDD, all usb. If my SSD crashes for whatever reason, I can connect my USB HDD, change the drive letter to the letter of the SSD and I am good to go....
soundwand

Postby sean8877 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:47 pm

Good to hear it can be installed on an external drive, thanks for the info.
sean8877

Postby sschow1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:23 pm

Just upgraded from Deluxe to Max. I'm a little confused about which sound content I should install. I see that there is an item in IKPM for Syntronik 2 Max...but there are also a lot fo individual synths listed in my sound content area...I want to make sure of two things:

1. I want to make sure I am using the latest version of every synth, in order to make sure as much as possible I'm using updated presets, etc.

2. I want to make a backup copy of my sound content installers so that in the future I won't have to pay for another download

So it looks like possibly the "Max" sound content is everything...I should ignore all the seperate synth content downloads, bur I need to verify that. Is that true?

I actually ended up downloading them all, and ended up with a folder full of many synth installers.....and a bunch of synth installers a level above that..I'm pretty sure I have duplicates now...so now I need to thin out the duplicates. Should I just go with the "Max" folder full of DMG's and ignore the rest?

Secondary question...how can I download the windows versions also? It looks like I am unable to download the Max content through IK website anymore, only using the IKPM and only for the the platform I'm currently on, MacOS. Is that also true? No way for me to specify to download the windows installers?

Third question too I guess, I notice that all the presets from Syntronik1 don't allow the EDIT screen in Syntronik2. Is that going to always be the case, even after buying Max? I was under the impression that if I bought Syntronik2 Max, all my presets would end up being available through the EDIT screen, including all the wonderful presets that came with Syntronik1, but maybe that is not the case, or maybe in my above confusion about installing sound content I somehow installed non-max versions which don't support it? Just asking. Hope they will consider enabling the EDIT screen even for the olde presets, otherwise.
sschow1

Postby sean8877 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:35 pm

^^^^
I have this exact same question, it's not clear in the IK Product manager how you install the full Max version. I did the individual synths first and now downloading the Max version which is huge. Not sure if I could have only done the Max version and skipped the individual installs. They should make this process more clear.
sean8877

Postby DarkStar » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:52 pm

In the Sound Content tab, for Syntronik 2 MAX:
-- how many files are in the "N of N remaining" statement?
-- what is the total file size?
How does that compare with the sum of the figures for the individual synths?

I guess that the latter are listed individually for users who do not want them all downloaded / installed at once. Remember for Syn2 MAX you will need 2 lots of 200GB free disk space. One for the downloads and one for the destination library.

A1:
I would have gone ahead and done the Syn2 MAX download then checked that I have all 33 synths.

After installation, back up all the sounds Library installers so you can avoid any 180 day reactivation issues. You should be able to weed out any duplicate download files by comparing the file names and sizes.

A2:
You can get the PC and Mac Sound Content installers from your User Area /My Products / Syntronik 2 MAX - click on the [Sounds Download] tab then select the ones you want from the list. But, I am pretty sure that the installed sounds files are the same for both Mac and Windows so it would be better (and quicker) just to copy across the installed library. Give that a try.

a3:
Syntronik 1 presets (i.e. those in "Syntronik Generation 1") cannot be edited using the Edit page. That is technically impossible. But, as I understand it, you should have "Syntronik Generation 2" editions of all those presets. They have been upgraded to use the "ST4 engine" and can be Edited.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby sschow1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:04 am

DarkStar wrote:
A2:
You can get the PC and Mac Sound Content installers from your User Area /My Products / Syntronik 2 MAX - click on the [Sounds Download] tab then select the ones you want from the list. But, I am pretty sure that the installed sounds files are the same for both Mac and Windows so it would be better (and quicker) just to copy across the installed library. Give that a try.

That has been the case for many products in the past, but this time, no its not there through website. There is no button for "Sound Content" there.

I suspect they are similar, but the DMG version for Mac includes a Mac installer and the EXE for windows includes a windows installer...they each have a folder full of sounds, so its conceivable I could just keep one of them, would have to be the windows one since zip file format is more universal then dmg. Then just ignore the installer and manually copy the content folder.

For now I am just running IKPM from another PC and will copy the results over to where I can keeping an archive.
sschow1

Postby DarkStar » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:26 am

Maybe IKM has not put the Sound Content up yet. It is there for Syntronik 2 CS. Give Support a nudge.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby sschow1 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:27 am

I see it for CS also. That has always been the case in the past I agree. Maybe its a temporary oversight...or maybe its a new thing since its so big or something...(shrug)

Like I said, I'm just running IKPM from another pc for now.
sschow1

Postby sean8877 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:10 am

I'm getting similar errors with some of the presets. The installation process is really confusing. I wish they had an installer that just installed everything in one shot instead of having to guess at the installation steps.
sean8877

Postby Chrisk-K » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:14 am

I've installed hundreds of programs on my PCs and Macs. Syntronik 1's installation was the worst ever. Just reading Syn 2 installation steps has almost killed my interest in Syn 2.
Chrisk-K

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More