Which ST Goup Buy itrems are ST3 based?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Which ST Goup Buy itrems are ST3 based?

Postby Paul_R » Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:22 pm

I need some direction on determining which Group Buy ST items are ST4 based and which are ST3 based requiring a pre installation of ST3 which, from what I understand, can only be done on a MAC running an old OS (pre-catelina).

I don't see any indication in product descriptions indicating which are ST3 instruments and which are ST4? - I must not be looking in the right place - is there a versions list somewhere? How can I see if an ST product is ST4 based?? and will not require a previous install of ST3? (which I cannot do running on a newer MACOS). I'm asking for this help as it appears I may have wasted a number of Group Buy selections on ST3 based instruments not installable on a newer MAC OS unless one already had ST3 installed previously - going forward I need to make my remaining selections ST4 based instruments only - which is which?
Paul_R

Re: Which ST Goup Buy itrems are ST3 based?

Postby Paul_R » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Update - I did get my ST3 licenses up and running in ST4 after some trial and error so my install issues are resolved. I do still think that it would be better if ST3 items were clearly labelled as such on the IK website as these have some differences at least in their installation characteristics that customer may want to be aware of prior to purchase.
Paul_R

Postby DarkStar » Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:54 pm

To help other users, can you post for findings?
-- which libraries are ST4-based? Which are ST3-based.
-- and what steps you took to install / authorize each type?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Paul_R » Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:34 am

DarkStar wrote:To help other users, can you post for findings?
-- which libraries are ST4-based? Which are ST3-based.
-- and what steps you took to install / authorize each type?

Well, I believe the ST3/ST4 label is information that should be clearly stated in the IK product descriptions, not something that customers should have to maybe figure out without knowing if any conclusion is correct, but, if it helps anyone, from what I've been able to gather from dealing with the licenses I have, and the patterns those followed, below is my best guess as to the breakdown.

The biggest categorization hints I see are that:
1. after install, purely ST4 items are listed in product manager in the "products" tab directly under the ST4 where as the ST3 ones are only listed in the more general "sounds" tab at the top.
2. ST3 instrument install packages downloaded directly from users' product page were failing execution for me (probably due to Big Sur) where as installing ST3 from within the Product Manager Sounds page was fine.
3. The "sample tank instruments" seems to be more or less in chronological order with new ST4 based instruments showing earlier in the list.
4. Some ST3 instruments only seemed to be "registerable" using the old license manager program as opposed to the new product manager program. This was the case for sure with Neil Peart Drums - maybe others - I kind of lost track of what was working.
5. ST4 based instruments all installed neatly directly under the /IKMultimeida/Instruments directory where as ST3 based instruments seemed to install to more funky locations (my ST3 installs all seem to want to go under the "Miroslav Philharmonic 2" directory???).

So here's a shot at categorization - if others see an ST3 item listed here that shows up directly in the products tab of ST4 in product manager, please repost an updated list. "*" items are the ones I was fiddling with directly to install on Big Sur Mac with no prior ST3 install (so I'm pretty sure of these). The "?" items are guesses.

SampleTank4
- Electromagnitik Pianos *.
- Cinekinetik Series Instruments
- HitMaker Series Instruments
- L.A. Confidential
- Clavitube
- Alternate Keys
- SpacePort77
- The Resonator ??

SampleTank3
- American Accoustic *
- Alan Parsons Piano ?
- Brandenburg Piano ?
- Art Deco Piano ?
- Bill Cobham Drums ?
- Hugh Padgham Drums ?
- Neil Peart Drums *
- Terry Bozzio ?
- London Grooves ?
- Cinematic Percussion ?
- Orchestral Percussion ?
- Electronika Series Instruments ?
- Beats Series Instruments ?
- Syntronix Series Instruments *

fyi - I spent some time trying to get licenses working with the file copy method, however, in the end got them installed in Big Sur with no existing prior ST3 install using the product manager install method - so, not sure that the file copy method should really ever be needed.

I really don't get why IK does not simply upgrade the install process for all these products to the same ST4 spec as the newer ST4 instruments and be done with it - they all seem like viable products to me. I mean - are Neil Peart Drums ever going to become obsolete? - don't think so.
Paul_R

Postby DarkStar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:30 pm

Thank you for providing that information; those details will surely help other users. :) I agree that it should be provided in the product descriptions.

And, yes, the IKPM needs to support the installation and authorization of all of the current products

Regarding your point #5:
-- the ST4 library uses one library location, here it is L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 4,
-- the ST3 library uses another library location, here it is L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3,
-- the MP2 library also uses that second library location,
For more info
-- the Syntronik library would also use that second library location,
-- the STron2 library would use a third library location, here it is L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTron II.

In your case it looks like you installed the MP2 library before the ST3 library, but they still share the same location.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More