Having a bit of trouble assigning after-touch?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Having a bit of trouble assigning after-touch?

Postby jodenmi » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:37 am

Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do this?

I've tried clicking on the MOD Wheel to try and "midi-learn" the aftertouch controller from the keyboard, but that doesn't work, not that I really expected it too haha! But thought I'd give it a go.

I looked over the editor screen and, to me, it's not quite obvious where I can set this.

All I really want is to assign simple modulation (CC1) to the sound being used.

Thanks
jodenmi

Re: Having a bit of trouble assigning after-touch?

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:17 pm

The Mod Wheel in ST4 is automatically mapped to MIDI CC# 01 messages.

You may wish to assign CC#01 to some underlying control parameters (on the Edit page) or to an FX parameter (on the Fx page).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jodenmi » Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 am

DarkStar wrote:The Mod Wheel in ST4 is automatically mapped to MIDI CC# 01 messages.

You may wish to assign CC#01 to some underlying control parameters (on the Edit page) or to an FX parameter (on the Fx page).

Thanks, and sorry for late reply...I didn't realise I had a reply to the OP.

Umm, yeah I figured the MOD wheel would be, it's the MIDI default, but I really need to usurp that to the aftertouch from the keyboard. I did look at the edit page, but ST4 was not "seeing" the aftertouch when I tried MIDI learn, so I sorta figured if it doesn't see it for that it won't no matter how or what I assign.

The pitch and mod wheels cannot be edited, at least from the edit page.
jodenmi

Postby DarkStar » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:38 pm

By "aftertouch" do you mean "Channel Pressure" (MIDI message type 13) or "Poly aftertouch"? (MIDI message type 10). I do not think that ST4 responds to either (but I have not tried them).
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jodenmi » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:55 pm

It's really Channel aftertouch - very few (only relly exxy units) have poly aftertouch (where each key has it's own AT control.)

Channel is the whole keybed on one channel only. Although I daresay you already know that :) - written more for others reading who may not know.

Umm, yeah I guess technically that is what it would be (re CC #'s) and like you I have no idea if ST even recognises them?? If not, that WOULD explain why it is not being "seen".

If not, I would suggest to IK (if they even notice this thread, hahaha!) they implement it. These MIDI CC's are, after all, part of the basic MIDI spec :D
jodenmi

Postby jodenmi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:20 pm

*bump*

So is this not do-able at all? And why cannot the Pitch and Mod wheels not be accessible to MIDI Learn?
jodenmi

Postby Promidi » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:24 am

jodenmi wrote:*bump*

So is this not do-able at all? And why cannot the Pitch and Mod wheels not be accessible to MIDI Learn?

I did the following test.

I have a PCR-800 MIDI controller which is definitely capable of transmitting aftertouch events when I press harder on the keys.

I opened up ST4 Max and loaded the patch “Detuned Textures” from DCO-X

I went into the that patch’s editor screen and right clicked on the Depth parameter for LFO 2 to access MIDI learn for that parameter. I also adjusted the LFO 2 filter parameter to 2.48 (so I could hear the effect).

While MIDI learn was active, I played a note on the PCR-800 and then pressed harder to get it to generate the required Aftertouch events.

This indeed mapped aftertouch to the LFO 2 Depth parameter.

So now when I press harder on the keys, I can hear LFO 2 modulating the filter frequency

I also go into the “MIDI assignments” and my new mapping is listed there at the bottom:

“Element 1 LFO2 Depth > Aftertouch 0% 100% Latch off”

So from that, I can safely say that Sampletank 4 does indeed allow assigning aftertouch to parameters.

What you would need to do is confirm that your MIDI controller is capable of transmitting actual aftertouch events. (Note: these are different from CC events)
Promidi

Postby jodenmi » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 pm

Thanks - yep already knew it did, both from the keyboard specs AND using it with other keyboards.

I only have ST4 not the MAX, but it would be the same... I too tried mapping to the LFO using learn, and apart from not actually doing anything, the value jumped from 0-127 almost immediately. NOT the Keylab as it works fine with pretty much everything else, just ST4.

Ok, some more research needed!
jodenmi

Postby Promidi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:04 am

jodenmi wrote:I only have ST4 not the MAX, but it would be the same... I too tried mapping to the LFO using learn, and apart from not actually doing anything, the value jumped from 0-127 almost immediately. NOT the Keylab as it works fine with pretty much everything else, just ST4.

Yes ST4 or ST4max, would not make a difference.

After you have made the MIDI assignment, what is the source of your newly added assignment as shown on the “MIDI assignments” dialogue? On mine, it shows the actual word “Aftertouch”. What is more, when I press harder on the PCR-800 keys, the assigned knob moves smoothly between 0 and 127.
Promidi

Postby jodenmi » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:42 am

Thanks ...I'll check
jodenmi

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More