How do I stop patches overwriting eachother when opened?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How do I stop patches overwriting eachother when opened?

Postby Steveulrich1 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:19 pm

Dear Anyone.

Wasn't sure whether to do this as a continuation of my last post or not, mods, feel free to move it.

Dark Star very kindly showed me how to open patches in Sampletank. I go to the neon light list up the top, click on it, up come a list of presets, I choose the one I want. BUT....

Sampletank's multitimbral. So say the first preset I choose takes up - I'm not good at techie words, be gentle - but takes up the first 3 positions in the list, all being output to Track One in the DAW. I want the next preset - logically, surely - to start from Position 4 and carry on down from there. So I click on Position 4 in the list, make sure Position 4's highlighted, go back to the list of presets, click on the preset - and it overwrites the first-chosen preset, starting from Position One again!

Assuming for argument's sake each preset's got 3 sounds in it, how do I tell Sampletank to start the second preset from Position 4 and carry on down to Position 6, instead of restarting from Position One and overwriting the first preset I chose?

I know this is a dumbass question, I know I'm missing something obvious again - I'm just not seeing this and I'm flat outta ideas. I mean it's multitimbral, I shouldn't have to open one instance per preset, should I? I should be able to load several presets into one instance?

Yours puzzledly

Chris.
Steveulrich1

Re: How do I stop patches overwriting eachother when opened?

Postby DarkStar » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:32 pm

A "preset" (an .ikmp file) in SampleTank 2 is a Combi which can contain the data and parameters for up to 16 instruments.

The SampleTank 2 term for this is a Combi (in later versions of SampleTank it is a "Multi"). It loads all 16 available instrument slots in ST2, replacing any existing loaded sounds. It is not possible to load one Combi and then another into subsequent slots. {*]

The only way to get additional sounds is to load the Combi first, then load individual instruments from the browser on the right-hand side.

Here's an awkward work around:
-- load the first Combi
-- save each loaded instrument (and its settings, FX etc) as a user preset, using the [Save] button on the right-hand side; write down what the name is.
-- load the second Combi (replacing the first one)
-- find the first user preset that you saved and load it into an empty slot
-- repeat for the other user presets
-- save the whole lot as a new Combi, using the [Save as] button at the top.

Save a User Preset

Add your Presets to the second Combi

Reloading the new Combi (after Saving it):

----------------------------
[*} This feature was first requested over 10 years ago ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:14 pm

... any news?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby ulrichburke » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:27 pm

Dear All.

Sorry it took me a little while to read this!

I'd discovered that and thought I was just being stoopid, I mean I know it's no comparison as a VST but my Korg M1 Emulator can load Combi patches into consecutive slots, it just carries on from the end of the last one. If the first one takes up 3 places, say, and you put the selector/cursor (call it what you will!) into space 4, it'll happily load the next one from Space 4 onwards.

I mean considering Sampletank's multitimbral, you'd think you'd be able to load presets multitimbrally. So you can't load 2 Combi patches into 1 instance of Sampletank? You'd think they'd just have some kind of in-program counter, or let you load the next one wherever the selector was in the list, or just do it automatically from the next empty space (which would be where the in-program counter would come in.) Doesn't sound THAT difficult a thing to program, considering the overall infrastructure's there...

Thankyou very much for showing me how to do it, and that I wasn't being as dumbass as I thought I was. For once.....!!

Yours respectfully

Chris.
ulrichburke

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More