Sampletank Data file compatiblity? PC-Mac

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank Data file compatiblity? PC-Mac

Postby 1Dallascat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:59 pm

Ok, so i've downloaded most of my sampletank instruments, etc, to one of my PC's. I have successfully transferred and setup Sampletank to see the "instrument sound files" on my studio backup PC and all is good.

Of course, I have started the process of downloading the Mac software on to the Mac.
However. I'm asking about the data files that are downloaded when you install the various sounds pkg's such as Cobham Drums, Malletopia, etc......

So now,,,, the $64k question is....?

Can I simply transfer them from my PC to my Macbook Pro? (putting them in appropriately created folder on the mac, and point sampletank to them, or are those files proprietary in toto to the PC prg's, and therefore I need to download the "Sounds" packages to the Mac as well...?

Thanks for your time....
Just trying to save myself some serious download time.....
1Dallascat

Re: Sampletank Data file compatiblity? PC-Mac

Postby DarkStar » Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:02 pm

I think that the installed libraries are the same.

As you have both systems, why not try it out? Back up the library from your PC to an external
disk and plug that into the Mac.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 pm

The installed libraries are the same so you can use them on an external drive for both Windows and macOS systems as long as the drive is formatted in a way that both can read/access.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby 1Dallascat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:50 am

Peter_IK wrote:The installed libraries are the same so you can use them on an external drive for both Windows and macOS systems as long as the drive is formatted in a way that both can read/access.

i'm sorry but you have me confused. There are absolutely Zero dmg or pak files in PC land. From what i've downloaded so far there is nothing BUT dmg and pak files in a Mac install of sampletank libraries. I understand pc's pretty well, not nearly as fluent in applespeak.

I get the idea that a dmg file is some kind of image file, and pak is a compressed file
A Mac can unzip a zip file, but is that a native extraction or do you need a 3rd party prg?

So to clarify are you saying that I can just put my PC libraries where the dmg and pak files reside.... and point sampletank to those folders, and everything will be copacetic...?

Thanks for your help!
1Dallascat

Postby garfy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:07 am

Hi 1Dallascat

1Dallascat wrote:From what i've downloaded so far there is nothing BUT dmg and pak files in a Mac install of sampletank libraries

Exactly. These are the downloaded files but not the installed files mentioned by Peter_IK. The installed files are in a format that can be read by SampleTank (eg *.st4i etc) and are non-OS exclusive.

Peter_IK wrote:The installed libraries are the same so you can use them on an external drive for both Windows and macOS systems as long as the drive is formatted in a way that both can read/access.

This is going to be the crux of the matter if you want to use the same external drive containing the SampleTank sound content across two OS platforms. The only format read/writeable by both macOS and Windows is ex-FAT or FAT32 which you might find a hinderance speed-wise.

Personally, a separate external for the Mac would be my preference. A SSD formatted to APFS would give you some speed benefit and all you would need to do is copy/paste your sound content installation from your Windows drive at the top level folder (IK Multimedia) and then point ST4 at the SampleTank 4 folder within it.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Yes, we all talked of the installed files. They are the same. As long as your disk is formatted so that both systems can read and write it.

PS .pak files certainly do exist on PCs. They are an IK Multimedia file extension type, I reckon.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby 1Dallascat » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:50 pm

garfy wrote:Hi 1Dallascat

Exactly. These are the downloaded files but not the installed files mentioned by Peter_IK. The installed files are in a format that can be read by SampleTank (eg *.st4i etc) and are non-OS exclusive.

This is going to be the crux of the matter if you want to use the same external drive containing the SampleTank sound content across two OS platforms. The only format read/writeable by both macOS and Windows is ex-FAT or FAT32 which you might find a hinderance speed-wise.

Thank you garfy, there is some excellent info here. However, you are partially missing my point...
I have ext drives formatted afps, an exfat drive, and an NTFS drive , and totally get the differences between all of them. I have also upgraded the SSD drive in my mac. In my original post I am asking how to avoid the painfully slow download process from the ik servers..

Rant on
(PLEASE do NOT lecture me about how FAST the ik servers are....) I have tried downloading with\without my vpn. tried logging on to servers in Miami, and elsewhere, tried using both my blazing fast wireless router, and an ethernet connection, Tried using one of my PC's and my Macbook pro,and in EVERY single case my download speed from ik servers is a LOUSY" 4-4.4 mb a sec ... Interrupting the download in ikpm, and running ookla speedtest from servers in EVERY ONE of those locations gave me download readings of 35-36 mbs...) After doing some reading here in the forums to try and fix this, it seems i am not alone in this regards........
Rant off....

So now thanks to your expanation, it looks like I can avoid that process, which would be way cool... All I'm looking for now is which are the installed files, or the folders they are installed in on my PC. I have them installed on a 2nd hdd in my PC, so pathways are not the same as default installs

The easiest thing would be if all the Sound directories I have are what need to be copied over. I have folders for cobham, malletopia, etc, just copy those folders to my data directory in the MAc?

However what about all those zip files in my Sampletank 4 directory
cuban trpts
pedal steel
etc..
Or is there simply no avoiding downloading the 83 gigs of sampletank4

If someone has a list of sampletank data file extensions, than I will find those folders and copy them to my mac.

Thanks to all for your help with this.....!
1Dallascat

Postby garfy » Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:09 pm

1Dallascat wrote:All I'm looking for now is which are the installed files, or the folders they are installed in on my PC. I have them installed on a 2nd hdd in my PC, so pathways are not the same as default installs

1Dallascat wrote:The easiest thing would be if all the Sound directories I have are what need to be copied over. I have folders for cobham, malletopia, etc, just copy those folders to my data directory in the MAc?

Have a look at this FAQ link

About halfway down it will show you the folder structure for the sound content installation. It will be the top level folder "SampleTank 4" that you need to move onto you secondary drive (and, if you have any ST3 instruments, "SampleTank 3" as well). The link also shows you what file extensions to look out for so you can match things up.

The folders in "Documents" must stay/be located on your system drive.

1Dallascat wrote:However what about all those zip files in my Sampletank 4 directory

If these are the downloaded files then you don't need to keep them post-installation, excepting for the purposes of backing up in case you need to reinstall at a later date.

Hope that clarifies.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Trensharo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:49 am

garfy wrote:Hi 1Dallascat

1Dallascat wrote:From what i've downloaded so far there is nothing BUT dmg and pak files in a Mac install of sampletank libraries

Personally, a separate external for the Mac would be my preference. A SSD formatted to APFS would give you some speed benefit and all you would need to do is copy/paste your sound content installation from your Windows drive at the top level folder (IK Multimedia) and then point ST4 at the SampleTank 4 folder within it.

Use NTFS and install new library content from Windows. MacOS can read that.

Obvious solution; -)

I don't recommend using FAT32 or ExFAT. They aren't robust file systems, have lots of drive space waste, and perform slower.

NTFS is the best option, as both OSes can at least read it, and you can simply use the windows machine to add more content to it.

APFS not an option for obvious reasons, and neither is HFS+.

I do prefer to use separate drives, though, and just use the native file system for each OS.
Trensharo

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More