Why SampleTank Why!?!?!

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Why SampleTank Why!?!?!

Postby zedd » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:14 am

I've been doing some SampleTank 4 exploring, and I have saved a few custom presets by adjusting the amount of reverb in the mix, or even disabling a couple of the effects in the factory preset.

Imagine my surprise when I went to look for those presets to compare their file sizes to the preset that I modified only to discover that the preset I saved is BIGGER in file size than the one I adapted, even though I made changes that should not have increased the file size.

In fact, saving a preset should NEVER be creating files that are so big (often more than 10 MB)... the preset should be REFERRING to the same actual instrument that the preset I am editing is pointing to so that there is no unnecessary data added to the preset. The presets should be kB and not MB.

This really bothers me. What aren't preset file sizes tiny??

I was one of the ones that disliked the fact that in ST2 I could not save a child preset outside of the parent instrument folder. I wished for the ability to put presets wherever I wanted so that I could organize them better according to my own scheme... BUT I never wanted the actual parent/child relationship to be broken.

It was a good system for keeping track of presets and knowing that everything in a parent folder was based on the same sampled instrument and would therefore load instantly because samples were not being reloaded... just different FX and settings. GOSH, I wish it was still like that.

It's one thing to no longer see the parent child relationship (which kind of drives me crazy), but quite another to discover that the actual relationship may be totally gone in some cases or operates in a very strange way since I cannot understand why a preset should ever be larger than what it is based on.

Why SampleTank Why!?!?!

Why IKM Why!?!!?

The presets should be tiny. And there should also be a way to see which presets come from the same parent.

There is much to like about ST4... but the file system is really rather troubling for me, as it was in ST3 which caused me not to use it.

I'm trying to adapt and get into it, as there are definitely some great instruments and some powerful features in this new version.
Non-MODO Drum compliant MacPro, 32GB RAM, OSX El Capitan (soon to be Sierra), Digital Performer 8, SampleTank 2XL (using 32Lives), SampleTank 3 & 4, Amplitube 5, T-Racks 5 Deluxe, and more...
zedd

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More