is there really no host automation in any plugin?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

is there really no host automation in any plugin?

Postby Wooot1899 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:17 pm

almost every major DAW has the posibility to quickly and without much hassle map vst-controls inside the DAW. At least Ableton and Studio One can do this. But only when the plugin allows host automation.

I don't really get, why IK Multimedia doesn't allow this (as it seems in any plugin) but instead wants the user to use their own midi mapping technique.

Guys, this is 2021 and usability should be not be something unfamiliar... There are free plugins (like for a B3) from hobby programmers out there that can do that!

or am I missing something?
Wooot1899

Re: is there really no host automation in any plugin?

Postby Promidi » Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:13 am

As a test, I opened up an instance of Sampletank Max 4.13 in Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB).

I loaded a patch (Classy Saw)

I right clicked on Macro 1 and selected “Automation Assignments”

Then I was able to record automation data from Sampletank Max into CbB. I was also able to enter the nodes directly.

Then I played back the track. Sampletank correctly responded to the automation nodes.

So, from that, Sampletank does indeed allow Automation.

You need to right click on an adjustable parameter and select “Automation Assignments”

Mind you, I did also load up the same patch in Syntronik, and it appears hat automation is not available in that particular synth.
Promidi

Postby Wooot1899 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Hi, maybe I just didn't used the correct term, what I meant is MIDI Learn → Enable Host Automation.

But I just read that at least in ableton ther is a max for live device that may do the trick. I#ll give it a try
Wooot1899

Postby DarkStar » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:09 pm

SampleTank 4 has 1600 unassigned automation parameters. Select a knob in an instrument, right-click and select "Automation". The next unassigned parameter will be assigned to that knob. Then that parameter can be used in the DAW to control the knob.

However, the parameter names published to the DAW are not meaningful. In some DAWs they can be renamed.

On the other hand Syntronik does not have any host automation. Knob control uses MIDI CC messages from a MIDI keyboard or host MIDI item.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More