Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion compatibility

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion compatibility

Postby AlanHall » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:02 am

Hi! First time posting here. I tried searching with keywords OSX Lion, OSX 10.7.5, et. al., but nothing turned up. Any direction or comments welcome.

In my IK 'User Area', there are installers available for products other than what I have installed on my Mac (currently MP2 and ST3). I see ST4 CS, Amplitube CS (and Amplitube 5 CS), TrackS 5 CS, and Syntronik Free. Visible are links to installers for the latest version as well as several previous releases.

My question:
Is there any available documentation that you've seen to reference min system requirements for any of these products (I'm thinking specifically about the previous releases). I'm trying to eke out as much life as I can get from my Mac Pro 1,1 with its end-of-support OS 10.7.5 Lion.

Thanks!
Alan
AlanHall

Re: Mac OSX 10.7.5 Lion compatibility

Postby DarkStar » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Hello AlanHall and welcome to the forum

The System Requirements are described for each product. Look at each product page on the web site - its Specs tab will show you the details.

For example ST4 CS is:
Mac® (64-bits)

Minimal: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo (Intel Core i5 suggested), 4 GB of RAM (8 GB suggested),
macOS 10.10 or later.
40 GB (SampleTank 4 SE), 128 GB (SampleTank 4), 300 GB (SampleTank 4 MAX) of hard drive space.
Requires an OpenGL 2 compatible graphics adapter.
Supported Plug-in formats (64-bit): Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby AlanHall » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:52 pm

DarkStar,
Thanks for the welcome! I appreciate the helpful nature of the forum, I hope that I can be a good citizen while I'm here.

I see that for all current products, the spec for system requirements is listed. For prior versions, I can get to installers from my user area but do not see system reqs listed in the updates nor any other comments. Since many of the current offerings supersede my OS by only a few minor revisions (OSX 10.9 or 10.10 versus 10.7) My hope is that there are previous versions that are in fact compatible. My next hope is that there is a list somewhere.

My last hope is that I do not have to download a bunch of installers "just to see" if they work on my system. :shock:
Alan
AlanHall

Postby garfy » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:02 am

Hi Alan

Unless another user running an older system chimes in, I think to get definitive answers you should open a ticket with Official IK Support and see if they can help you.

Bear in mind that your version of OSX Lion is over 9 years old now and Apple dropped support for it 7 years ago. Also, the differences between whole number OSX versions such as 10.7 to 10.8 are not deemed as minor revisions (that would be 10.7.0 to 10.7.1 for example) and so this may have an bearing on how effective the older OSs are.

Hope you get it working though.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby AlanHall » Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:44 am

garfy wrote:Hi Alan

Unless another user running an older system chimes in, I think to get definitive answers you should open a ticket with Official IK Support and see if they can help you.

Bear in mind that your version of OSX Lion is over 9 years old now and Apple dropped support for it 7 years ago. Also, the differences between whole number OSX versions such as 10.7 to 10.8 are not deemed as minor revisions (that would be 10.7.0 to 10.7.1 for example) and so this may have an bearing on how effective the older OSs are.

Hope you get it working though.

Garfy, thanks!
I appreciate the sage advice. I have opened a ticket with support, but wanted to get as much assistance as I could. I know the community has a wide and deep knowledge of all things IK.

My hope for previous revisions rests on the fact that when I bought MP2 (v 2.0.5 last year, I think?) it was listed as compatible - and is compatible - with OSX 10.7.5 where the latest revision 2.0.6 says compatibility only with 10.10 or later. So there's that. Of course I realize that sometimes an OEM will state a minimum system requirement simply because that's the oldest system on which the product was tested; not something I'd want to assume, though.

My options for upgrading the computer hardware include buying a decade-old computer that cannot run the latest OS, or buying a newer computer that cannot support my audio interface. Either way I feel like I'm losing ground :?
AlanHall

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More