SampleTank can't find .pak file

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank can't find .pak file

Postby limestone » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 am

The IK product manager says SampleTank is installed and authorized. I have installed all .exe files on the website associated with ST.
Last night I got this error trying to load a C7 piano sample:

Instrument ST4 Error. Cannot locate Tank at path 'C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Samples/SampleTank 4/Acoustic Pianos/C Grand Close Mics SE/C Grand Close Mics Sustain/C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak'.

Have I missed an .exe installation somehow?
limestone

Re: SampleTank can't find .pak file

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Did you also install the sound files under the "Sounds" tab? If so, I would recommend trying the Reinstall option there and if that doesn't work please work with IK Support via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support for direct technical assistance.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby limestone » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Thanks, Peter. I started a ticket yesterday with IK support. At the moment they don't have a clue why ST4 seems to be working fine, but clicking on all C7 piano variations produces a "can't find .pak" error. I saved personal copies of EVERY sound install file. The installer seems to be defaulting to a file location it should not be going to. I NEVER mess with changing default file paths, so no one knows what the problem is yet. They with tunnel into my pc with team viewer soon.
limestone

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:54 pm

Possibly stupid question:

Is the file "C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Samples/SampleTank 4/Acoustic Pianos/C Grand Close Mics SE/C Grand Close Mics Sustain/C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak" present on disk?

If not, can you find the file "C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak" anywhere-else on disk?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby limestone » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Darkstar, it's truly crazy. I SWEAR that I do NOT change any default install path.

All those piano sample .exe files intalled to:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 4\

BUT, the error says it can't find...:

"Instrument ST4 Error. Cannot locate Tank at path 'C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3/Samples/SampleTank 4/Acoustic Pianos/C Grand Close Mics SE/C Grand Close Mics Sustain/C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak'."

So, the error apparently indicates they should have been installed in C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3\ in a SampleTank 4 subfolder. I am a retired IT professional - that makes NO sense to me.

But, my ST4 content paths are set to:
C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 4\

So why in the H*** can't it find that file anyway? Those .pak files were installed in the ST 4 folder path? :cry:
limestone

Postby limestone » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:51 pm

I should clarify that ST4 is technically working FINE! Lots of sounds showing and usable.

What I tried to do was load one of the listed available pianos starting with "C7...". That's when the error showed up.
limestone

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 pm

limestone wrote:BUT, the error says it can't find...:

"Instrument ST4 Error. Cannot locate Tank at path 'C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3/Samples/SampleTank 4/Acoustic Pianos/C Grand Close Mics SE/C Grand Close Mics Sustain/C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak'."

You're right, that does not make sense. That path does not look right (but maybe it's a typo?) - the high-level "SampleTank 3" should not contain any SampleTank 4 sub-folders. It may be that ST4 expects to find only ST3-format instruments in the SampleTank 3" folder and only ST4-format instruments in the SampleTank 4" folder.

For that sample file, exactly where is the instrument definition file (same file name, probably, .st4i file extension)? (Each SampleTank instruments consists of 2 files - the sample in a .pak file, and the instrument definition file (including parameter values, FXes, Sends etc) in a .st4i or a .st3i file).

And, where is it listed in the ST4 Browser tree?

if you want to post some screenshots, have a look at: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27252

----------------------
Anyway, if you are happy enough to proceed, and are able to back-track if needed, you might try this:
-- for all the sub-folders and files in C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3/Samples/SampleTank 4/
-- move them into C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Samples/SampleTank 4/
-- remove the now-empty folder C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Samples/SampleTank 4/

-- for all the sub-folders and files in C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3/Instruments/SampleTank 4/
-- move them into C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Instruments/SampleTank 4/
-- remove the now-empty folder C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Instruments/SampleTank 4/

Start the ST3 standalone program and rebuild the cache database. Close it, Then do the same for ST4.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby limestone » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:42 am

Thanks so much for your concern, DarkStar. Your logic is solid, and I followed your suggestions to the letter. I still get the error message:

Instrument ST4 Error. Cannot locate Tank at path 'C:/Users/Public/Documents/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4/Samples/SampleTank 4/Acoustic Pianos/C Grand Close Mics SE/C Grand Close Mics Sustain/C Grand Close Mics Sustain.pak'.

CRITICAL! I have just realized that I do NOT have this "close mic..." folder in any install folder. I would have be my savings (small bet!) that I have downloaded every sound file for ST4. Can you possibly tell me what the exact download file would be?
limestone

Postby limestone » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:31 am

I have 19 variations of the C7 piano to choose from. 18 of them get the same error listed previously. What the heck is a "Tank"? Error says it can't find a "tank"?

Variation 19 - "C7 Grand Binaural - Natural SE" loads perfectly?!?! My brain is fried.
limestone

Postby limestone » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:38 am

I have 161 folders with sound installabe .exe's. There are 53,514 files in those folders, and the total storage is 345+gb of data. And yet, I'm sitting here wasting my time trying to wonder what the heck needs to be reinstalled. Tech support has been VERY responsive, but they didn't contact me today.
limestone

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:56 pm

A1: In which download is "C Grand Close Mics"?
Sorry i do not know.

A2: What is a "Tank"
Just IK Multimedia (historic) jargon for an instrument or sample file, I guess

------------------
I have just found these threads:

https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=23745&p=100682
and
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26538&p=113136

Try the first one first, maybe the IKPM is working on an incomplete list of downloads??? Download them, extract them one at a time and run the installer.

And here is a full list of ST4 MAX instruments:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/include/st4/soundlist/SampleTank_4_MAX_Instruments.pdf
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby limestone » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:34 am

DarkStar, I thank you very much for your concern and help. I highly respect all your posts and the tips you provide to the forum!

The first link did not work. I already had the 1.5 installer folder downloaded. I ran the .exe file again to no avail.

Any opinion regarding the 2nd link and its referral to "missing files not in the download section"? I asked him if he still had them and could he get them to me.
limestone

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Nope, I'm now stumped!

Make a list of the 18 problem instruments and the path quoted in the error messages. Send those details to Support. Ask what download files are needed to install those instrument samples, where to get them and how to run them.

Check to see if you already have those download files (downloaded by the IKPM?)

If appropriate, point out the that IKPM did NOT download or did not install or wrongly installed them, depending on what you find.

Let us know how you resolved the problems.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby limestone » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:34 pm

Will do. Support ticket was filed last week. They said they would tunnel in to my pc Friday. Didn't hear from them. They are currently stumped.
limestone

Postby Peter_IK » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:43 pm

Please don't solicit files from others (another thread) which violates TOS/EULA and you can reply to your ticket at any time to get further action from IK Support. They will work with the devs and others to get any files you might be missing and the MAX files on IK PM should be complete and IK Support can address that too if you are seeing something missing/different.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More