Syntronik Doesn't Respond to MIDI Velocity

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Syntronik Doesn't Respond to MIDI Velocity

Postby pmilliken » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:46 pm

I'm a new Syntronik user, so forgive me if there's an obvious solution to this issue. I'm using Reaper (lastest) on a Windows 10 machine. I've recorded a MIDI track using the Syntronik plugin. Everything records well and plays back well except Syntronik does not respond to the velocity of the MIDI notes. If I push the notes' velocity to max or pull it down to zero, Syntronik's output level does not change. How can I get Syntronik to respond to MIDI note velocity?
pmilliken

Re: Syntronik Doesn't Respond to MIDI Velocity

Postby Promidi » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:34 am

I just tried Syntronik here with the the synth “99” and its patch (Old speak for sound) “Classic EP 8 Velos” in standalone mode and it responded to Velocity correctly (Using a PCR-800 controller)

Does the same thing happen in Syntronik stand alone at your end. If so, what is the exact name of the Syntronik patch you are using?
Promidi

Postby pmilliken » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:38 pm

Thanks for the response. I was using the Memory-V "Formanting PWM Lead" patch. After reading your response, I loaded some patches from the "99" synth as you suggested, and the few patches I tested all responded to the velocity settings in the MIDI editor. I then went back to Memory-V and tested several other patches, and none of them responded to the velocity settings. So I'm wondering if this is something specific to the Memory-V synth, a bug in the synth or there's some setting or configuration that I'm unaware of.
pmilliken

Postby Promidi » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:11 pm

According to the Memory V product page, Memory V is based on the Memorymoog.

I looked up the Memorymoog on Wikipedia and on there it states that the actual Memorymoog synth indeed does not respond to velocity. This could explain the lack of velocity with those patches based on the Memorymoog.

However, not all is not lost.

If you open the edit screen (click on icon to the left of patch name) of any Memory V patch, there are two velocity settings available. One is in the filter cluster and the other in the AmpliTube Envelope cluster. You can experiment with these velocity values to allow Memory V patches to respond to velocity.
Promidi

Postby pmilliken » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:43 am

Promidi -- Thank you very much for taking your time to look at this. You are correct: Turning the Velocity knob in the AmpliTube Envelope cluster to the right increases the synth's sensitivity to velocity. (Turning it to the left appears to invert it's velocity sensitivity. :shock: ) I'm just learning about synths, so this was very helpful. Not only did you solve my problem, but you also gave me some insights on how to research these problems myself in the future.

Thanks again!!
pmilliken

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More