How to use Sampletank in Logic Pro

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How to use Sampletank in Logic Pro

Postby russelcrowe » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Please Help.
What is the best practice to use Sampletank in Logic Pro X as Software Instruments?

I see in Youtube, Sampletank can load many instruments in different channel and also can play together. I can not find how to to use SampleTank as plugins in Logic Pro X which is sample tanks can load many instruments (in different channel).

I think it is not effective to use sampletanks only load one instrument for every channel in Logic Pro.

Regards
russelcrowe

Re: How to use Sampletank in Logic Pro

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm not a Logic Pro user but I see this video about instantiating a multitimbral virtual instrument in Logic Pro which might h elp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFMTNKhRg7Y
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby garfy » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:15 pm

Hello russelcrowe

I think it's a bit of trial and error really. Even though Macs are a bit of a closed shop, different systems will be different in how they use any software instrument effectively.

It's probably worth experimenting with an empty project and test whether a multi-timbral/multi-output instance of ST4 is less processor and RAM intensive with, say, 10 instruments compared to 10 individual instances of ST4 on their own channels.

That said, the way that Logic works is that a whole channel is processed by just one core of your CPU. So if you have a single ST4 with 10 instruments, all will be loaded and processed by one core. However, 10 instances of ST4 will be loaded across the cores in turn. How your Mac deals with that will be down to single and multi-core processing which differ depending on your machine specs.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby russelcrowe » Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 am

Peter_IK wrote:I'm not a Logic Pro user but I see this video about instantiating a multitimbral virtual instrument in Logic Pro which might h elp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFMTNKhRg7Y

Thank you Peter and Garfi
I just want to know how to use sampletanks as plugins is Logic Pro X. I think It is also applicable to other DAW. I think is https://youtu.be/aveP32NHfS0 ST4 as standalone. how to use ST4 as plugins?

I have try these steps :
1. New ...
2. For Tracks 1 Pick Software Instruments say it Inst1. (I mean Tracks not Channel in my question, sorry)
3. I choose Audio Instrument and pick Sampletanks 4
4. Then in ST4 I load instrument with MIDI channel 1 for Track 1 in ST4
5. Question #1 : after this step, Is it possible to load another instrument for Track 2 in MIDI Channel 2? of course I can load another instrument in track 2, but the output keep from the instrument in track 1 with MIDI Channel 1. Do I have to change the MIDI channel first from my MIDI controller? I use Irig Keys I/O 25.
6. Then I add Track 2 in Logic Pro and choose Software Instrument, say it Inst2.
7. I choose AU instrument ST4 for Inst2.
8. Then I load another ST 4 instrument for Inst2 in MIDI Channel 1
9. Question #2 : So I have ST4 plugins of every track I create to use ST4 as plugins?

I am sorry that it's look alike stupid question :D but I can not find the answer from Youtube as well.

I am a fan of IKMultimedia products. All of my interfaces, controllers, softwares and sounds are from IKMultimedia.
lastly, sorry if my English is not fluent or good.

Regards.
russelcrowe

Postby garfy » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:34 am

russelcrowe wrote:I think is https://youtu.be/aveP32NHfS0 ST4 as standalone.

Yes, this video is showing ST4 as a standalone.

russelcrowe wrote:1. New ...
2. For Tracks 1 Pick Software Instruments say it Inst1. (I mean Tracks not Channel in my question, sorry)
3. I choose Audio Instrument and pick Sampletanks 4
4. Then in ST4 I load instrument with MIDI channel 1 for Track 1 in ST4
5. Question #1 : after this step, Is it possible to load another instrument for Track 2 in MIDI Channel 2? of course I can load another instrument in track 2, but the output keep from the instrument in track 1 with MIDI Channel 1. Do I have to change the MIDI channel first from my MIDI controller? I use Irig Keys I/O 25.

To achieve this you need to follow the video that Peter_IK linked to and open ST4 as multi-timbral in Logic Pro. This is shown at 1 minute in the video. Once you have done this you can load a different sound/instrument for each MIDI channel in ST4. You will have to change the MIDI Channel of your controller to play each different one.

russelcrowe wrote:6. Then I add Track 2 in Logic Pro and choose Software Instrument, say it Inst2.
7. I choose AU instrument ST4 for Inst2.
8. Then I load another ST 4 instrument for Inst2 in MIDI Channel 1
9. Question #2 : So I have ST4 plugins of every track I create to use ST4 as plugins?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this question. If it helps, you can add as many instances of ST4 as you need. You can either have one sound/instrument in each instance of ST4, all set to MIDI Ch1 and you select which one you want to play by clicking the track in Logic. Alternatively, you can make them all multi-timbral using the instruction in the video.
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:39 pm

I am not a Logic Pro user, either :)

You could follow this tutorial: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209558589-Using-KONTAKT-as-a-Multi-timbral-Instrument-in-Logic-Pro-X and replace K*****t by SampleTank 4.

In "Loading and Setting Up a Multi-Instrument":
Instead of the pic at Step 2, look at this:
Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/zJnzNMC.png

Skip steps 3 and 4.

And, instead of the pic at step 5, look at this:
Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/oFYv0ob.png

Change the audio output channels at the bottom of each Mixer channel
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby russelcrowe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:03 am

garfy wrote:If it helps, you can add as many instances of ST4 as you need. You can either have one sound/instrument in each instance of ST4, all set to MIDI Ch1 and you select which one you want to play by clicking the track in Logic. Alternatively, you can make them all multi-timbral using the instruction in the video.

Thank you. I understand now.
russelcrowe

Postby russelcrowe » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:18 am

DarkStar wrote:And, instead of the pic at step 5, look at this:
Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/oFYv0ob.png

Change the audio output channels at the bottom of each Mixer channel

Thank you.

But It works without change the audio channel like your picture. All instruments with multi timbral in ST4 have output channel 1-2.
russelcrowe

Postby DarkStar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 pm

Yes, it works. But I was just replacing the images in the tutorial.

Generally people use different outputs for the different sounds so that they can add different FX plug-ins to each one.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby russelcrowe » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:40 am

DarkStar wrote:Generally people use different outputs for the different sounds so that they can add different FX plug-ins to each one.

Thank you DarkStar
I have changed the audio output in ST4 as you told me in picture. But I don’t know how to relate it to Logic Pro to send the output/ sound to ST4 Mixer with different audio output. Is it sends to BUS from Logic Pro? But I don’t see BUS in ST4 Mixer.

In ST4 Mixer Audio Output, Is it auto set to BUS 1, 2, and so on if i change the audio output ST4 and set Logic Pro to Sends to Bus 1, 2 an so on?

Help much appreciated.

Regards.
russelcrowe

Postby garfy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:41 am

To make any multi-output instrument available, you need to have instantiated it as such in your instrument track.

https://i.imgur.com/nvOcR8X.png

Once this is done, the multi-outputs will show up as a '+' sign at the bottom of the output channel in the mixer. By clicking the '+' the outputs will unroll to show where the input connections come from in ST4.

https://i.imgur.com/SmK1OWC.png
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More