Understanding Authorizations

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Understanding Authorizations

Postby Angaroshi89 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:56 am

Can someone explain to me how the "X authorizations left" works?

Suppose I need to reinstall my OS, do I lose 1 license? or it's attached to the hardware? if so, what happen if I add a hard drive or something?

I tried to find some information about it, but I was unable to find a deep explanation. Thanks in advance.
Angaroshi89

Re: Understanding Authorizations

Postby DarkStar » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:12 am

For each (software?) product you have 10 authorizations (more generous than some other manufacturers).

IK Multimedia will not reveal the exact details of the authorization parameters. But adding hardware may require a new authorization.

But
(a) in the IK Product Manager you can Unauthorise a product
K Multimedia provides 10 authorizations for each product you own. Check your authorizations left in the software tab, below the product name. Conversely, if you want to unauthorize a product you own, simply click on the “Unauthorize” button. A dialog will appear asking if you want to confirm unauthorization.

(b) If you do manage to use all 10 authorizations, then, all things being reasonable, IKM Support will reset the count back to 0.

So, no need to worry.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby MideBass76 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:01 am

Do I understand it correctly:

I could install a software product with 10 authorizations on 10 computers owned by me at the same time (and use it at the same time?)

If I have to replace one of my 10 computers, then I simply unauthorize it on this computer and authorization it again on the new computer?
MideBass76

Postby DarkStar » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:48 pm

No.

You can authorize up to three systems at any time, but you can only use one at a time. Please see https://www.ikmultimedia.com/legal/index.php?R=license-agreement

Authorizations can be unauthorized (from the relevant system) and that Authorization used on another system. This is done using the IK Product Manager.

I would expect that IK Multimedia keeps an eye on the number of Authorization, UnAuthorizations, etc to prevent abuse.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby MideBass76 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm

DarkStar wrote:You can authorize up to three systems at any time, but you can only use one at a time.

Thanks for the clarification.

I get 10 authorizations for a product an can authorize it on up to 3 computers, but what are the 7 other authorizations for? Are they "reserve" or "spares"?
MideBass76

Postby DarkStar » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm

Let's say you install a new OS or significantly change the HW (no, I do not know what change would be regarded as significant) then you would need a new Authorization. Or, say, the system just failed - you would have no chance to Unauthorize that authorization.

So the others are 'reserves'. Unauthorizing in the IKPM lets you build up your reserves. And if you do manage to burn through all 10, then , if the circumstances are reasonable, Support will assign another 10.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Warren P » Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:16 pm

I quite like this authorization system compared to many companies who over a meagre SINGLE activation when I buy their products.

I really appreciate how easy un-auth/de-auth/uninstall and reinstall is with IK products.
Warren P

Postby Kevin1990 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:52 pm

Did ikmultimedia just recently lower the authorization amount? I now have 3 to 4 authorizations left on all my products when I used to have 8 to 9. I'm the only one using the software and only on one pc.
Kevin1990

Postby bill.schneller » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:03 am

I have the exact same issue as Kevn1990. I only use my IK Multimedia on a single computer and everything went from 8 or 9 authorizations left down to 3-4. Did the number of authorizations drop? Has someone else accessed my account and downloaded and authorized software? Is there an easy way to get a list of machines that are authorized on my account?

This doesn't seem like the kind of thing you should change without notifying users.
bill.schneller

Postby alexvillain » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:33 am

Kevin1990 wrote:Did ikmultimedia just recently lower the authorization amount? I now have 3 to 4 authorizations left on all my products when I used to have 8 to 9. I'm the only one using the software and only on one pc.

Same issue here. Some friends of mine are reporting this exact problem. Hope that ik fix that or it will be a shame.
alexvillain

Postby vac713 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:33 am

Having read this thread, I checked my authorizations and was surprised to find that of my 16 installed products I only have 1 to 3 authorizations left

I've only ever installed the products on 3 MACs with the only exception being AmpliTube 4 which should have been 4

What gives?
vac713

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:58 pm

Some of you may have already heard this same thing directly from IK Support but to make sure all here are aware. Also, please note the EULA has always stated that you are licensed to install IK software on a maximum of three computers at a time and the license is not to be used simultaneously on any combination of those three devices.

As you may have noticed, the maximum number of authorizations per IK product has been changed from 10 to 5.

Although our EULA limits the installation of our software to 3 devices, in the past there was no way to unauthorize licenses so we increased the number of authorizations provided as a workaround to save you the trouble of contacting support each time the limit would have been reached.

Since IK’s new Product Manager introduced the ability for users to manage authorizations, including removing and re-activating them at will, we have reverted to our system to previous behavior. With the ability to unauthorize as needed, you should never reach the limit of your authorizations.

In the rare case this does happen, please just contact us and we’ll take care of you as always.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby bill.schneller » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:41 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the info. While this makes sense given the fact that we got 10 authorizations because there was no mechanism to unauthorize a computer install (and the three machine limit), it would have been nice to have been informed about this change via email. I get IK Multimedia emails almost every day advertising new products, upgrade offers, and new builds for existing products, etc. It would have been nice if this license/authorization change had been communicated via one of those frequent emails.

Thanks again
bill.schneller

Postby akademie » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:31 pm

^^^^^^ absolutelly agree

This is for example the answer I got for my licensing question in September 22, 2023:

"Yes, you have up to 180 days to install the sounds to your software. You also receive up to 10 authorizations which means you can install and authorize the software on up to 10 computers.
We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. "

Does that mean that the IK's own support department does not know what is going to happen few days later in the field of licensing? Unbelievable.

Also can confirm, that I got few other advertising emails since that email and nothing about licensing change.

I am very disappointed, really!
akademie

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:59 pm

You will only receive information about what exists at that time, not what is coming. Also, this change does not change anything in IK's software EULA (it still is more than the EULA allows for as far as installed devices) so it should not affect anybody's actual use of IK's software within that EULA (the ability to unauthorize in IK Product Manager was introduced many versions ago).

Typically a support email is sent when a product is updated with the Release Notes, I'll let the team know that such an email was not received.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More