Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Mac install problem [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Mac install problem [Resolved]

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 am

Hi all, This is my first post here, having just purchased and downloaded the Miroslav Philharmonik 2 package.

My system:
Mac Pro (early 2008)
2 x 2.8 GHz quad-Core Intel Xeon
32 GB memory
275gig SSD (startup disc)
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
HOST DAW - Logic Pro 10.0.0

Purchased MP2 from Black Octopus Sound - on offer.
Installed IK Multimedia Authorisation Manager, serial number accepted - other products showing up as available - as well as MP2 there is SampleTank Custom Shop & SampleTank 4 CS.

I tried installing the latter two first - unsuccessfully. are either of them necessary for installing MP2?

Proceeded to download and install all 17 (including the Harp) dmg.
These seem to have ended up on my main drive (from the custom install location suggested) in >Users>Shared>IK Multimedia.

2 folders inside - SampleTank 3 & SampleTank 4.

In >SampleTank 3>Instruments there is a folder 50_Miroslav Philharmonic 2 and in the other subfolders they resolve to either .st3i files or .pak files or .mid files.

In >SampleTank 4>Instruments there is a folder SampleTank 4 - again resolving to .st4i.pak or .mid files.

There is nothing in my >Library>Audio>Plugins>Components or the VST or VST3 folders - and unsurprisingly - Logic is not detecting MP2 at all.

Any help greatly appreciated - thank you.

My SSD is virtually full - and I have had to trash all the .dmgs to make enough space for the install.
Once I have solved the install problem -I shall be wishing to move as much as I can to another internal disc - if this is possible.

Thanks.
Tim1Cumper

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Mac install problem

Postby DarkStar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Hello Tim1Cumper and welcome to the forum.

First of all some background

SampleTank 4 CS is the free edition of SampleTank 4 ("ST4"), with a selection of sounds.
SampleTank Custom Shop is the free edition of SampleTank 3 ("ST3"), with a selection of sounds.
Miroslav Philharmonik 2 ("MP2") uses the same instrument format as ST3 and its sounds can also be loaded into ST3. The MP2 sounds are installed into sub-folders in the ST3 sounds library.

---------------------------
I did see somewhere that ST3 should be installed before MP2, but I do not know why.

Exactly why did the software installs fail?

The MP2 sounds are installed in the location set during the MP2 (or ST3) install. The default is what you have. But you can move the ST3 (including MP2) and ST4 libraries to another disk, and change the paths in the Preferences of ST3, MP2 and ST4.

As your SSD is nearly full, it would be wise to move them now:
-- copy them all to your desired location, with top folder named "IK Multimedia"
-- run the standalone MP2 program, and in the Preference settings, select the "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" folder
-- run the standalone ST3 program, and in the Preference settings, select the "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" folder
-- run the standalone ST4 program, and in the Preference settings, select the "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4" folder and the "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" folder. Yes ST4 can also load ST3 instruments (including MP2)
Once you are happy that all is working, then you can delete the folders and files in ">Users>Shared>IK Multimedia". I also suggest backing up all the library to a separate external disk, just in case.

Have a look at these FAQs:
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1235
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1239

As for Logic not seeing the plug-ins: it uses Audio Units, doesn't it? Maybe you needed to select that format during the install? Maybe rerun the install to be sure. But forget that for the moment, let's focus on getting the standalone program(s) working first and the libraries where you want.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:00 pm

Hi Dark Star - many thanks for the response.
I did eventually get SampleTank Custom Shop installed, and this now has a presence in >Audio>Plugins>Components and once it was opened in Logic - it scanned and included all the MP2 library.
However - this looks entirely different to the GUI I have seen operating in videos - being mainly red not the yellow/gold - and has different functionality in that the trigger notes do not have the information squares immediately above them on the on-screen keyboard in Macro view.
Perhaps this difference would revert to the expected GUI with the installation of SampleTank CS 4 - but there only seems to be one file available for download which was not a .DMG file.
I have transferred the ST CS4 library to another internal disc for safekeeping - so I will attempt to install the ST CS4 app today.
I have clawed back a bit of space by moving another library - but I could not see an option in ST CS3 to point to a different location - the scan of the library was automatic.
There is some useful stuff in ST CS3 though - perhaps I will be able to keep this as an option if I get ST CS4 to install.
Will report back.
Tim
Tim1Cumper

Postby DarkStar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:59 pm

Some progress made - good oh :) (and just think how much you will have learned when this is all resolved.)

"SampleTank Custom Shop" is SampleTank 3. Its interface is mainly black / dark grey and red:

MP2 is gold and yellow:

So it depends on which program / plug-in you run.

To change the Disk Path in ST3 or MP2 -- click the Cogs icon to show the Settings window and select Preference:

I would not worry about installing ST4 for the moment. You do not need it to run MP2 and ST3.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DarkStar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:02 pm

And, yes you can have ST3 and ST4 both at once. And you can load the ST3 (and MP2) sounds into ST4 too.

In ST3, you can get the "trigger notes" (key switches) by clicking on one of the (dark-grey) key-switch notes to the left-hand end of the virtual keyboard

PS The "CS" or "Custom Shop" suffix just determines the instruments that are provided. You have all the SampleTank functionality.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 pm

Thank you DarkStar - I didn't get to try the standalone version yesterday - maybe that will have the GUI I expected to see, although the majority of use will be in Logic.
Can't wait to get back at it when free.
Tim
Tim1Cumper

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:23 pm

PS - I had the trigger notes fine - but there was no information as to which note did what in respect to the different articulations.
I believe the gold/yellow GUI has squares set into the keyboard panel - informing of the articulation.
Tim1Cumper

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi DarkStar - Opened the standalone version - same GUI as ST 3 - red/black/grey.
Managed to point ST 3 to pick up the library on the alternative internal disk - dead easy - and removed the library from my startup disc.
With the gained space I thought I'd give ST 4 a go - but encountered the same problem.
There is only one option for download - it is a .dmg file for download - but it opens up as a WINDOWS .EXE file - which doesn't apply to my system.
Maybe they haven't ported ST 4 for Macs yet.

Tim
Tim1Cumper

Postby DarkStar » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:42 pm

Tim1Cumper wrote:Hi DarkStar - Opened the standalone version - same GUI as ST 3 - red/black/grey.

Pics, please. See https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27252

Tim1Cumper wrote:Managed to point ST 3 to pick up the library on the alternative internal disk - dead easy - and removed the library from my startup disc.
Good progress

Tim1Cumper wrote:With the gained space I thought I'd give ST 4 a go - but encountered the same problem.
There is only one option for download - it is a .dmg file for download - but it opens up as a WINDOWS .EXE file - which doesn't apply to my system.
Maybe they haven't ported ST 4 for Macs yet.

That seems very odd. ST4 certainly is available for Macs. You should download and install the IK Product Manager ("IKPM") and use that. Or you can go to your User Area / My Products / SampleTank 4 CS, click on [Past Releases] and download the installer from there.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Tim1Cumper » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:59 pm

https://i.imgur.com/xFoZCo0.png

Ages since I've played with BB . . .

I only have SampleTank3 appearing in Launchpad - nothing at all that looks like an actual MP2 app.

I have downloaded the IK Product Manager - there are options there to install - plus 5 or 6 updates from 2016.

Maybe I haven't even downloaded the app?
I can see the latest version is there for MP2 Mac.

5 minutes later . . .

I hadn't downloaded the app - found it in Previous Releases. I'd been using ST3 all the time.
https://i.imgur.com/AaX91bt.png

SLOW CLAP PLEASE . . . .
Tim1Cumper

Postby DarkStar » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 am

;) We've all done something like that in the past. Are you now all good to go?

-------------------------
Just for info, the IKPM (IK Product Manager) is a relatively new program, designed to simplify download, installation and registration of current and future IK Multimedia products. It does not currently have all desired features.

Users can go to their User area / My Products and download the software and sounds librairies in the traditional way. Then run the installers, Authorization Manager etc.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Tim1Cumper » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm

Hi DarkStar, yes thanks - all good - also success with ST4 - & all libraries on alternative internal drive.
Just need to do a backup to external drive - TODAY.
Thanks for all your help.
Tim
Tim1Cumper

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik 2 Mac install problem [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:17 pm

Ta da! :)

--------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More