Philharmonik 2 articulations unusual nametures

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Philharmonik 2 articulations unusual nametures

Postby DavidR1 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:05 pm

I am working with strings at present and have added my articulations in Cubase in the project folder in a folder called express maps because the instruments with KS beside them can be linked this way. The articulations in the sound work no problem.

However I am a string player and I am slightly confused as to the naming terms in this piece of software because some don’t match those I know ie Detache 0.3, 0.6, 1.99, 2.0 and 3.5. These terms and how they apply to the score don’t make sense. I am assuming detache is meant to be like a detached note or a whole note slurred into a note with a staccato on it.

Sustain A, B, Fast, Slow etc.....these again don’t match with what I know.

However some of the more important articulations such as

Accent
Tenuto
Temello 1 bar and 2 bar
Stactissimo

In Cubase you have endless articulations you can add to a sound. I am trying to add these as separate articulations below C1 but ran out of time at A-1 to see what effect that this had on the note. Does any one from IKMM know of any reason as to they have used articulations that don’t bear resemblance to normal orchestration .

Another one is

Staccato 1
Staccato 2
Staccato 3.

What does this mean?

In Cubase you have 3 definitions of short notes Tenuto, staccato and stactissimo. Do these relate to to these lengths? Cubase seems to have the access to about 50+ articulations that don’t exist here. DAWs seem to be much the same I have seen from the pictures of them.

I am putting together a list of expression maps for Philharmonik 2 to use in Cubase 10.5 above. And will pass onto admin here and at Cubase to add to the ones that exist.

But it does seem to be confusing as why completely different names were used except the Italian ones that most of us are used to seeing as IKMM is an Italian company.

Sorry one last word on this TechRadar webpage seems to make some to reference of SW and MWin addition to KS. Anyone come across this and how to use these inside Cubase?

Regards

David
David

HP Envy
16 gb Ram
HD 2tb
i7 quad core 4770u cpu 3.4 ghz (cores disabled as per Cubase management system)
64 bit windows 8.1
external soundcard UR44 (Steinberg) Yamaha drive Asio 2 compliant
DVD R/RW
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
DavidR1

Re: Philharmonik 2 articulations unusual nametures

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:06 pm

I cannot answer all your question, but

MP2 User Manual 3.3.1 wrote:Then there are “multi-articulation” Instruments that use key switching, velocity switching or mod wheel switching to change between different performances of the same sound such as a violin that is played with sustaining notes, portato notes, staccato notes or pizzicato notes.

The articulation switches are indicated by gray icons next to the Instrument name: KS for key switch, VS for velocity switch and MW for mod wheel switch.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chip in on your other questions.

Meanwhile, the best thing to do is contact Support, via here. There is a link at the top of the Search FAQs page to the Technical Support form, for help.

Response time aims to be within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time, especially as Support will need to contact the library designers.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby DavidR1 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:58 pm

Hi Dark Star I have found some info on the articulations names in the sounds manual.

Crescendo (CRESC) Increasingly loud, a building up of volume and timbre.
Détaché (DET)Term used for strings played with separated notes.
Expressivo (EXPR) Notes played with more expression.
Flutter A rolled ‘r’ tonguing used with brass and woodwinds.
Forzato A more emphasized attack, usually associated with Staccato or Portato articulations.
Glissando (GLISS) A glide up or down the pitch scale with individual notes being played and heard.
Legato (LEG). For woodwinds it means notes are played without tonguing. For Strings it means smooth, slurred notes.
Marcato (MARC) With notes marked, accented.
Mute The sound of the notes is reduced. Some instruments may be played with a device called a “mute” or “sordina” which not only diminishes the volume of the instrument but also changes its timbral character.
Pizzicato (PIZZ)for strings it is the plucking of the string, as opposed to bowing.
Portato (PORT) “Carried” note.
Spiccato (SPICC) Very short notes.
Staccato (STACC) Short and separated notes.
Sul Ponte For strings played with the bow near the bridge.
Tremolo (TREM) For strings it means a rapid up-down bowing.
Vibrato (VIBR) Notes are played with modulated pitch.
No Vibrato (NV) Notes played evenly with no modulated pitch.

The only problem is that spiccato isn’t in the strings naming.

[mod redacted - unnecessary]
David

HP Envy
16 gb Ram
HD 2tb
i7 quad core 4770u cpu 3.4 ghz (cores disabled as per Cubase management system)
64 bit windows 8.1
external soundcard UR44 (Steinberg) Yamaha drive Asio 2 compliant
DVD R/RW
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
DavidR1

Postby Peter_IK » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:00 pm

The information available was found in the manual, and anything else seems like a feature request so this thread has run its course. Any feature requests should be added to the official wishlist thread - please do so without excess additional editorializing, etc.

Also, the forum admins/moderators (nor users) will not have the ability to execute on these requests so for official responses and/or actions you should open a ticket with the IK Support team via http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support

As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More