midi learn in ST4 and ST3 [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

midi learn in ST4 and ST3 [Resolved]

Postby opiesd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:07 am

ST4 & ST3 midi learn, volume control, only learns and works on ch1.
opiesd

Re: midi learn

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:44 pm

They work on any channel here. Remember that each loaded instrument receives MIDI on its selected MIDI channel only.

So to use MIDI CC events on, say, channel 04, the MIDi channel for that instrument needs to be set to 04 too. Also, some MIDI CCs are used for Browser control, you may need to change them too.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby opiesd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:20 pm

Obviously the problem is something I am doing wrong or not doing properly. Will only learn on Ch1. I am using Cakewalk Sonar if that helps. Could there be a mismatch of settings between them?
opiesd

Postby opiesd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 pm

More info. I set CH 1 on ST for midi volume control. When I try to setup CH2 the volume knob on CH1 moves
opiesd

Postby DarkStar » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:33 pm

Here, I am sending CC#60 messages on Channels 01 and 03 respectively into ST3. Both are MIDI Learned to the respective Volume.

And here is the result when I just playback the MID clip (with 2 CC#60 messages on each channel):
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby opiesd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:47 am

I appreciate everything you have done but please remember that you are talking to an idiot. All I know how to do is what is in the manual. I cannot duplicate your video. When ch1 is learned I get a 7 in the box above the volume slider. When I try to learn ch3 i get an empty black box above the vol slider and stays empty. When I move the cakewalk slider ch1 box lights up, 3 does not. Selecting midi control button part 1 shows volume 7. I am unable to find the screen that shows cc 60.
opiesd

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:15 pm

Understood.

Some clarifications:
-- I have never used Sonar so I do not know what the "Cakewalk slider" is.
-- I used CC#60 at random; I could have used 07, or any other CC number.

Anyway: for MIDI Learn on Channel 03 to work, the MIDI CC messages being sent to SampleTank by Sonar or by a MIDI controller MUST be on MIDI channel 03. From what you have posted they are on Channel 01.

Have a look in the Sonar User Manual to find out how to change the MIDI channel used by the slider. Is it the first drop-down list in Area C of the Track Inspector below? Maybe, if not set it defaults to Channel 01?

----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby opiesd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:26 pm

BINGO. I kept scrounging through the settings looking for something that might work. Right thinking, wrong place. Just where you said it was, on the track midi settings. Like everything else in the world, once you figure it out, it's a piece of cake. Thanks so much for your patience and help.
opiesd

Re: midi learn [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:07 pm

Phew! Goo oh :)

-------------------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More