Possible to install Syntronik on an external SSD on Mac?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Possible to install Syntronik on an external SSD on Mac?

Postby Chrisk-K » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:59 pm

Well, the Modo Bass refused to be installed on an external SSD on my M1 Mac Mini, so I'm reluctant to install Syntronik unless I know how it will behave. Does IK allow the user to install Syntronik during installation? If not, can it be moved to an external SSD after it's installed? Thanks in advance.
Chrisk-K

Re: Possible to install Syntronik on an external SSD on Mac?

Postby DarkStar » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:21 pm

MODO Bass does not have a separate sounds library. It uses physical modelling in the software. And, I would think the software needs to installed on the system disk. Maybe the plug-in could be installed elsewhere.

For Syntronik, the software owuld be installed as above. You can then install the Sounds Library onto a different disk. In the IKPM (IK Product Manager) Sounds tab, go to Syntronik and select "... more Options" then "Install to" and pick a destination folder.

If you already have SampleTank 3 installed you should select its sounds library folder, otherwise create a folder named, "SampleTank 3" on a local disk (mine is L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3) and select that one.

After installation of the Sounds Library you may need to select the destination folder in Syntronik's Settings.

And ... as recommended by IK Multimedia, back-up all the Sounds Library download files so that you do not need to download them again.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Chrisk-K » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:45 am

Installation is confusing.

Under the "software" tab of IKPM, there's Syntronik. When I clicked "install," a 1.4GB file was downloaded.

Under the "sounds" tab, I also see Syntronik, whose download size is 47GB. Plus, it says 25 of 25 files remain. Does it mean that 25 files need to be downloaded? There are other sounds (or instruments) for Syntronik available as well. Some sounds show an additional description of # of file (e.g., 2 of 2 files remain) and other sounds don't show such a description. So, should I download every file under the "sounds" tab?
Chrisk-K

Postby garfy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:48 am

Hi Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K wrote:Under the "software" tab of IKPM, there's Syntronik. When I clicked "install," a 1.4GB file was downloaded.

Yes, this is the application part of the instrument, which should be installed on your system disk.

Chrisk-K wrote:Does it mean that 25 files need to be downloaded?

Yes, these are the Sound Content installers which can be installed to a secondary disc if you wish, as per @DarkStar's instructions in his post.

Chrisk-K wrote:Some sounds show an additional description of # of file (e.g., 2 of 2 files remain)

There are a number of the instruments that require more than one installation package, possibly due to their size but I don't know that for certain.

Chrisk-K wrote:So, should I download every file under the "sounds" tab?

Yes, that would give you the complete sound content for your Syntronik.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Chrisk-K » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:49 pm

Thank you! IK needs to include a simple instruction, I got confused because both the main program and the sound package share the same name - Syntronik. The former could be called "Syntronik main software" or something like that, and the latter "Syntronik sound package."
Chrisk-K

Postby garfy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:57 pm

That's why they are under separate tabs in the IKPM, one called "Software" and one called "Sounds."

Anyway, glad you've got it all sorted now.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More