Miroslav Philharmonik2 not working with MAudio Keystation 49

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Miroslav Philharmonik2 not working with MAudio Keystation 49

Postby emo10001 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:00 am

I have Miroslav Philharmonik2 installed and can play instruments with the virtual keyboard in standalone and as a vst in Reaper. But I can't get it to recognize my MAudio Keystation 49es in either version. Keyboard works just fine with other vsts (Ez drummer and a few other piano vst's) I've searched this forum and see where other people might have had the same issues...and some say they figured it out...but no one says HOW they figured it out, or what the actual steps in correcting the issue are.

I'm sure it's something easy and simple. However this is my first foray into midi controllers/keyboards, so I don't pretend to understand it all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Assume I know NOTHING! :D
emo10001

Re: Miroslav Philharmonik2 not working with MAudio Keystatio

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Hello emo10001 and welcome to the forum.

When using a DAW (such as Reaper) it is the DAW that takes care of the connection to the keyboard. The plug-in don't care.

Now, you mentioned that other plug-in instruments (e.g. EZDrummer) can be played in Reaper. When you do that what is the name of the MIDI input device that you select for the track?

On that track, remove EZDrummer and add MP2 and load an instrument. If playing your MIDI keyboard does not create any sound, then check which MIDI channel your MIDI keyboard is using to sending MIDI notes to Reaper (use the MIDI Logger JS FX (before MP2) or ReaControlMIDI's Log to see them).

As for the standalone MP2, select that same MIDI Input device (And your audio interface output) in MP2's Settings.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby emo10001 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 am

DarkStar wrote:Hello emo10001 and welcome to the forum.

When using a DAW (such as Reaper) it is the DAW that takes care of the connection to the keyboard. The plug-in don't care.

Now, you mentioned that other plug-in instruments (e.g. EZDrummer) can be played in Reaper. When you do that what is the name of the MIDI input device that you select for the track?

On that track, remove EZDrummer and add MP2 and load an instrument. If playing your MIDI keyboard does not create any sound, then check which MIDI channel your MIDI keyboard is using to sending MIDI notes to Reaper (use the MIDI Logger JS FX (before MP2) or ReaControlMIDI's Log to see them).

As for the standalone MP2, select that same MIDI Input device (And your audio interface output) in MP2's Settings.

Thanks Darkstar. That's certainly helpful to figure out what channel my M-AUDIO is sending on. It's sending on channel 12. What I don't understand is that in Reaper, I have it set to "All Channels", and it works just fine with other plugins, and if I set Reaper specifically to channel 12 it works, and if I set it specifically to a channel other than 12, it doesn't work as expected. But when I swap out the VSTi from Ez drummer to MP2, on the same channel, changing nothing else, I still get nothing. Even when the channel is set specifically to channel 12, and is working with EZ Drummer. I'm not really sure what else to try here. EVERY other plugin I use...synths, drums...etc...all work...except MP2
emo10001

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:08 pm

Ah ha, then the keyboard is the source of the problem! And everything is working as intended.

• If you set Reaper to "All channels" then it passes MIDI notes on any channel to the track and thence the plug-ins.
  • If you set Reaper to "Channel 12" then it passes MIDI notes on channel 12 only,
  • If you set Reaper to, say, "Channel 14" then it passes MIDI notes on channel 14 only; as your keyboard is sending notes on Channel 12, nothing gets passed.
EZDrummer ignores the MIDI channel and so will be triggered by MIDI notes on any channel.

So we have:
(a) Reaper set to "All channels"
-- keyboard sends notes on Channel 12,
-- Reaper passes them on to the track and thence the plug-in,
-- EZD is triggered as it ignores the MIDI channel,
-- MP2 is triggered, and plays the loaded instrument, whose slot is set to Ch 12.

(b) Reaper set to "Channel 12"
-- Reaper passes them on to the track and thence the plug-in,
-- EZD is triggered as it ignores the MIDI channel,
-- MP2 is triggered, and plays the loaded instrument whose slot is set to Ch 12.

[c](b) Reaper set to "Channel 14"[/b]
-- Reaper does not pass them on to the track and thence the plug-in,
-- EZD is not triggered,
-- MP2 is not triggered.

You could configure the keyboard to send MIDI notes on a different channel. Or, in Reaper, you could map the input to a different channel.

----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby emo10001 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:33 am

DarkStar wrote:You could configure the keyboard to send MIDI notes on a different channel. Or, in Reaper, you could map the input to a different channel.

Well that at least got me something LOL. I mapped the input to channel 1 in Reaper, and then I pressed some keyboard keys, and got a sound. However, what is happening now is, when I press a note on my keyboard, it plays the note in MP2, and the note on the virtual keyboard in MP2 changes color or orange......but STAYS orange....and the note becomes "unplayable", as in if I play the note on my actual keyboard again, no sound, but if I click the note on the MP2 virtual keyboard, it does make a sound, and the key changes back to white color.

Very strange. Thoughts?
emo10001

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:01 pm

Faulty keyboard? Seems like it is not sending Note Offs. Or you are using Sustain?

Try using Reaper's Virtual MIDI Keyboard.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby philian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:07 pm

hello, I'm having the exact same problem, but with an older Roland PC-200.

Well that at least got me something LOL. I mapped the input to channel 1 in Reaper, and then I pressed some keyboard keys, and got a sound. However, what is happening now is, when I press a note on my keyboard, it plays the note in MP2, and the note on the virtual keyboard in MP2 changes color or orange......but STAYS orange....and the note becomes "unplayable", as in if I play the note on my actual keyboard again, no sound, but if I click the note on the MP2 virtual keyboard, it does make a sound, and the key changes back to white color.
philian

Postby philian » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:31 pm

in addition to the post above.... If I use the stand-alone version of MP2, the keyboard works perfectly fine, and does all the right things... it's just inside Reaper that it won't function correctly. With that result, I don't think it's the keyboard but settings in reaper, and only with MP2 since all the other instruments work fine with my "ancient" keyboard.
Thanks for your help and any insights you might have.

Phil Miller
philian

Postby DarkStar » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:58 pm

Hello and welcome to the ofurm.

That's a bit odd copying text from another user's post without putting it in quotes.

Anyway, put a MIDI Logger just in front of MP2 and check whether it is getting the Note Off messages when you release the keys. Having said that, I have seen other users report problems with Stuck notes in Reaper, especially in the more recent versions.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby philian » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:21 am

Sorry about the copy and pasting of another person's comment. I'm not that savvy at this, and don't know how to do it correctly, it was my next best solution. Thanks for getting back to me though.

I did find in another thread that if I delete the MP2 VSTi3 (I moved it out of the folder) and re-installed the software installing the VST2 that it should solve it. Once installed I opened it in the VSTi area and it worked perfectly. The issue with MP2 and Reaper seems to be with the MP2 VSTi3. So my midi keyboard works perfectly now. Thanks for all your help

Phil

(I just saw the quote button at the top right, I guest that's how you do it correctly?)
philian

Postby DarkStar » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Yes, the quote button is how you do it. :)

It would be worth reporting your findings to Technical Support so that they can investigate the cause.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby zhektorm » Tue May 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Mine is also not working in Reaper using Launchkey MK3 49 but works in Ableton.
zhektorm

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More