Simple "Synth Pad 1 (New Age)" sound

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Simple "Synth Pad 1 (New Age)" sound

Postby Darkkrye » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired Total Max Studio. In it, with Syntronik and other plugins, there is a ton of instruments and sounds, especially for keyboards.

When I write songs, I do with my simple Yamaha Keyboard and Guitar Pro.
Inside both of them, there is a sound that I love. It's the 89 standard midi sound which is called "Synth Pad 1 (New Age)".

After hours of research I don't find any sound which mimic or approach the midi one.
Am I a bad researcher ? Is there a way to have this sound or a really close one ?
How can I do ?

Thank you a lot for your help ! :)
Darkkrye

Re: Simple "Synth Pad 1 (New Age)" sound

Postby garfy » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Hello Darkkrye and welcome to the forum.

I don't have anything here that is GM, but I listened to a sample I found on the web and it sounds like it's some kind of Yamaha DX-style, FM synth sound. Best place to start for something like that is in Syntronik on the 99.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Darkkrye » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 am

Hi Garfy !

I thank you A LOT for your really quick answer and I apologize A LOT for my really long reply.

I have listened all the sounds I have in my Syntronik99 version and I didn't found nothing close.
I don't know if there is any possibility to create your own custom sound in Syntronik.

By the way, I'm using Logic Pro as DAW and I have created a User Patch which combine multiple sounds for the same track.
It is not as practical but at least, it works and it's rather close to the original sound.

Thanks a lot ;)
Darkkrye

Postby garfy » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:44 am

Darkkrye wrote:I have listened all the sounds I have in my Syntronik99 version and I didn't found nothing close.

It is a bit of a needle in a haystack I'm afraid. The General MIDI protocol doesn't actually specify how something should actually sound, just the name of that sound. Each manufacturer would then have creative licence to make their Synth Pad 1, or indeed Grand Piano, Pipe Organ, Flute etc, sound as they see fit. The GM rules were just so a musician knows that if they bring up GM patch 1 they would get a piano, for example. So it could be that the audio clip that I found sounds nothing like what you've got on your keyboard.

Darkkrye wrote:I don't know if there is any possibility to create your own custom sound in Syntronik.

Well, you can adapt any of the presets in Syntronik using the onscreen controllers, as well as layer upto 4 different instruments, but bear in mind that the instruments in Syntronik are not 'pure' recreations of their original inspirations like some other manufacturers VIs and so some parameters may not be available to you.

It might be that, if you favour the sound from your keyboard and you can't recreate with the VIs that you have, then just use the sound on the keyboard. Nothing to say you can't even with newer technology at your disposal.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Darkkrye » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:35 pm

Hey !

Thank you a lot for all your tips and information.

I will try to do my best to have the sound I'm searching for.
With all these tools, I'm sure I can do it.

Thanks again ! :)
Darkkrye

Postby ugpfpv » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 pm

Darkkrye wrote:Hi everyone,

When I write songs, I do with my simple Yamaha Keyboard and Guitar Pro.
Inside both of them, there is a sound that I love. It's the 89 standard midi sound which is called "Synth Pad 1 (New Age)".

Thank you a lot for your help ! :)

If I one of my old synths has that sound I can recreate a patch for you

Is this the one your looking for... #89
https://jazz-soft.net/demo/GeneralMidi.html
ugpfpv

Postby Darkkrye » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:20 pm

Hi Ugpfpv

I greatly thank you for your proposal.
Nevertheless, the site you gave me, does not sound at all like the sound I research.

I have found an old publication of myself on SoundCloud.
https://soundcloud.com/pierremetal/dern ... -kyo-cover
The sound I search for is the one which does the melody at the beginning.
The kind of "Angelic Bells".

It sounds the same on my piano. I have a cheap one, but it is still a Yamaha lol
It is a Yamaha Portatone Electronic Keyboard YPT-200.

Thank you a lot. :)
Darkkrye

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More