Sample Tank 4 and 3 crashing Cakewalk by Bandlab

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sample Tank 4 and 3 crashing Cakewalk by Bandlab

Postby turtlehill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi all, I'm running the latest versions of Sample Tank 4 SE and Sample Tank 3 SE on Cakewalk by Bandlab, latest version. Both plugins load up fine, and I can browse the libraries, select and load sounds, but after about 15 minutes or so the Cakewalk application blows up, and most of the time the operating system (Win 10) restarts, too.

Anyone have any ideas about why this might be happening, and/or what the workaround is?
turtlehill

Re: Sample Tank 4 and 3 crashing Cakewalk by Bandlab

Postby DarkStar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into. That is not normal behaviour ;) And I thought the windows 10 was tolerant of application crashes.

Has it always happened? Could it be (whisper it softly) a recent Windows 10 Update?

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link at the top to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.

And, to help others who run into a similar problem, please let us know what you did to resolve the problem, but without directly quoting any correspondence from Support.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby turtlehill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:42 pm

I checked the FAQs first thing, before I wrote in this forum, and I'm pretty sure that there's nothing related to this issue in the forum.

Meanwhile, I loaded up a Cakewalk project with no plugins other than Sampletank 4 in it, and I'm waiting to see what happens. It's been up and running now for about 30 minutes. The issue may involve conflict with some other plugin; I was running EZbass, EZDrummer, True Pianos, and a couple of other instruments as well as various FX plugins in the projects that blew up.

Note: as I was writing this, I tried linking a MIDI track to the audio track containing Sample Tank 4, and the computer restarted. So it's not a conflict with any other plugins. It may have to do with Cakewalk's MIDI routing. Stay tuned for more.
turtlehill

Postby DarkStar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Perhaps you can try a test with another DAW (Reaper, perhaps, it's clean to install and remove) too?
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby turtlehill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:03 pm

I've just acquired a demo copy of Reaper, and I'll see if I can duplicate the issue there.
turtlehill

Postby turtlehill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:23 pm

It occurred to me that the problem may be with my M-Audio Hammer 88 MIDI controller. I checked and updated the firmware to current version, and we'll see what that does.
turtlehill

Postby turtlehill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:18 pm

I may have found the solution.  I mentioned earlier that my M-Audio Hammer 88 controller has been acting up some.  I updated the firmware in that device from version 1.0.2 to 1.0.9.  (I must have missed a few along the way.)   I've had a fairly complex project including ST4 running on the machine for over an hour with no issues.  

So many moving parts to this stuff.  
turtlehill

Postby DarkStar » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:21 pm

We'll leave this thread open for a while just to be sure that all is OK. :)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby turtlehill » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:50 am

More testing in the last few hours. I shut down the machine, took one of the external hard drives off, and moved the USB input for the Hammer 88. The system seems to have stabilized. Ran a project with multiple plugs and ST4 for over two hours with no problem. We'll see what happens, but I'm feeling optimistic.
turtlehill

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More