B-3X interface/ Disabling the left-most "Organ Presets"

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

B-3X interface/ Disabling the left-most "Organ Presets"

Postby wayupnorth » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:13 pm

Is there a way to disable/hide (permanently) the lowest octave (12 presets) so my older Midi Keyboard will NOT change my drawbar settings, when I play any of those 12 notes in the "hammond preset" octave range?

Problem is now: if I am playing a piano tone from my keyboard, with the B-3x software overlaid, if I play a low piano note (that happens to be in the "Hammond preset" range, then my iPad B-3x drawbar settings change to reflect settings for that particular Hammond Preset.

On one of my keyboards, I solved the problem by limiting the "Keyboard Range" for that particular midi channel, so, any intentional (or even inadvertent) playing in that "Hammond Preset" octave range is not interpreted by the B-3X software. So that's "ok"....

My real question is: I have an older Midi keyboard (not really a controller), for which I CANNOT modify the "Keyboard Range" on any part of the older midi keyboard (nor for any MIDI output). So, any intentional (or inadvertent) playing in the lower octave (the "Hammond Preset" octaves) always change my B-3x drawbar settings, mid-performance. Ideas?

Help? I'm probably missing the feature that is right in front of my face... Thanks, in advance for your help.
wayupnorth

Re: B-3X interface/ Disabling the left-most "Organ Presets"

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm

There is no way to disable these inverted keys as they are an integral part of the Hammond B-3X (and general Hammond) experience. IK has recreated the Hammond B3 including the range of the instrument as intended so these keys are not meant to sound lower notes but to allow for the quick change of drawbar settings. There is a section of the manual that also describes how these are different from main presets and such, too.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby wayupnorth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:43 pm

I appreciate your comments about the (pure) Hammond experience. And, to be sure, the B-3X software is really amazing in every respect. It is my preferred Hammond tone in live performance, and I have used it now, several times, with great compliments.

However, countering the 'purist' notion: once a software-based clone enters the Midi market, immediately the 'purist' argument is compromised on several aspects. After all, how many Hammond organs can pitch bend, or transpose? Some (like me) appreciate 'the experience', but are seeking mostly 'the sound' (to replace inadequate onboard sounds in a stage piano or synth). And as such, if 'the sound' is to be utilized (and appreciated) in a modern (from a tech standpoint) setting, then, well, the interface must adapt as well (as B-3x already has to a great extent).

So, my request would be to consider: adding a toggle (in the settings) that would display the left-most 'presets' if desired, or hide (and deactivate) the presets, when a full 88 key midi keyboard is being used. This would give more flexibility to the modern user, and, make the B-3x sound even more desirable in a live setting. I highly recommend 'the sound.' I love 'the experience.' I think a bit more tweaking to be not a bad thing, to help promote the sale of B-3x to the wider marketplace.
wayupnorth

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:08 pm

But to go outside of the range of the instrument in that way would likely be "artificial" in multiple ways. The best bet would be to use the built-in ability to combine the manuals to see if that gets you closer to where you want to be and put in a feature request either in the official wishlist thread in this subforum and/or to the team directly from the IK web site.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby wayupnorth » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:47 pm

I may have mischaracterized my suggestion/thoughts: I would not be looking to further change any 'range of the instrument.' I would consider it more of an 'interface', or 'look-and-feel' preference, much as is already allowed in the current interface. (one can switch between a view of the keys/keyboard, versus a view of the drawbars presently.... a 'zoom-in-view' if-you-will). My suggestion would be just another 'zoom-in-view' of the active keys only.... omitting the view/use of the left-most, inverted keys.

How do I go about presenting a "feature request" from this thread? (can this thread be converted to be a feature request)?

Thanks
wayupnorth

Postby DarkStar » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:54 pm

Go to this thread:
https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22351,
make sure that your request / suggestion is not already on the thread, and if not, then add your request / suggestion.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby j_meginniss » Wed May 19, 2021 1:32 am

I have discovered a way to work around this problem of unintentionally changing presets when playing keys that correspond to the keyswitches associated with the Hammond's black keys in it's lower register.
It is not an elegant solution, but it works for me, at least until IK Multimedia makes the smart decision of incorporating a preset keys toggle switch somewhere in it's control windows.
Observe the drawbar settings of your preset of choice in the B3=X Organ window. Click on the Controls button at the bottom left of the B3-X Organ window and find the drawbar graphic that corresponds to the the drawbar settings of your chosen preset. The general shape should be the same. Right click on it and choose "Copy Drawbar Setting". Right click on all the other drawbar graphics in the Controls window and choose "Paste Drawbar Setting". Click on the three horizontal bars next to the preset name. Choose "Save As" and give your modified preset a new name.
Now whenever you load your new preset and play over those preset keys, they will still be triggered just like before, but the drawbar settings do not change to something unintended.
I hope that helps.
j_meginniss

Postby wayupnorth » Wed May 19, 2021 3:41 am

Clever idea. Thanks for the thought. Let’s hope, though, that a toggle to enable/disable the lower octave preset keys is added someday.
wayupnorth

Postby j_meginniss » Wed May 19, 2021 3:05 pm

You're welcome and thanks for the comment. Actually, if you decide to ever use the idea, there is an option to paste to all of the other drawbar presets simultaneously when you right click on the applicable drawbar preset icon. I think that the B3-X app is amazing and I have also owned the real deal for many decades, so I love that they included the preset keys feature. Such attention to detail. It's just that in the event that the user chooses to layer the B3-X with a grand piano or something, that wonderful preset keys feature presents an undesirable result.
j_meginniss

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More