How does Syntronik handle round robin?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How does Syntronik handle round robin?

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:32 pm

I’m trying out Syntronik free version right now and wonder about the round robin tech IK write about. Since I only find a few patches in my basic version I don’t really understand what the full version offers in this regard. Does the poly’s basic patches come in rr? I make my own presets from scratch so I’m really mostly interested in what I can edit myself, so this is a dealbreaker. Especially with the vco based synths rr is a must if it’s not going to be another slightly better option to va’s. However I’d love to play the Juno-60 with rr because there is a lot more going on concerning unpredictability in any analog synth than just pitch drift.
joachim.sallstrom

Re: How does Syntronik handle round robin?

Postby garfy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi joachim.sallstrom

As far as I understand it, the sampled element of Syntronik are the single oscillators and oscillator combinations. After that the DRIFT technology [quoted from product page] "...varies the phase, color and pitch of the sampled oscillators to keep them moving just like the real analog oscillators do. Much more than simple detuning or even multiple-source modulation, DRIFT emulates the way real analog circuits behave over time."

So, it looks like a combination of sampling and synthesis that get the initial sounds moving.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:37 pm

If you open J-60 patches (or others from Syntronik) in SampleTank 4 and then click the Edit Page button you can see that round robin is enabled for those sounds. I didn't try every single one but every J-60 sound I played had round robin enabled.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:38 pm

garfy wrote:Hi joachim.sallstrom

As far as I understand it, the sampled element of Syntronik are the single oscillators and oscillator combinations. After that the DRIFT technology [quoted from product page] "...varies the phase, color and pitch of the sampled oscillators to keep them moving just like the real analog oscillators do. Much more than simple detuning or even multiple-source modulation, DRIFT emulates the way real analog circuits behave over time."

So, it looks like a combination of sampling and synthesis that get the initial sounds moving.

Hope that helps.

Hi and thanks for the reply!

The drift stuff IK make could be awesome, but it has nothing to do with round robin.
joachim.sallstrom

Postby garfy » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 pm

joachim.sallstrom wrote:The drift stuff IK make could be awesome, but it has nothing to do with round robin.

No, but the sampled elements are the round robins as with other multi-sampled VIs, so you get that level of randomness. Then the DRIFT technology happens post-sample and so gives you another set of random outcomes.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Correct DRIFT™ coupled with round robin and the analog-modeled filters supported the sampled oscillators make for a very realistic sound. I think some people dismiss sampled synths and include Syntronik in that category but those folks should try it and see how great it sounds. It's really a wonder of a product we make, and even better that Erik Norlander was at the head of it all (bonus even more so since he was the lead on the actual Alesis Andromeda hardware back in the day).
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:57 pm

Peter_IK wrote:If you open J-60 patches (or others from Syntronik) in SampleTank 4 and then click the Edit Page button you can see that round robin is enabled for those sounds. I didn't try every single one but every J-60 sound I played had round robin enabled.

Ok. Interesting! However, it’s in the notes of several patches that there’s no round robin bc to preserve memory. As I stated in another thread this might be an issue on the mobile platform, but surely not on modern Mac’s/PC’s.
joachim.sallstrom

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:05 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Correct DRIFT™ coupled with round robin and the analog-modeled filters supported the sampled oscillators make for a very realistic sound. I think some people dismiss sampled synths and include Syntronik in that category but those folks should try it and see how great it sounds. It's really a wonder of a product we make, and even better that Erik Norlander was at the head of it all (bonus even more so since he was the lead on the actual Alesis Andromeda hardware back in the day).

I surely don’t fit the category who dismiss sampled synths. I sample my 106, Xpander and even DX7 even though it’s not analog. I really believe this is the way to go. But from what I understand you can’t choose waveforms like on the actual hardware in one instance of a synth, and it’s not like there’s pwm possibilities or something of the sorts, is there? I mean, I can’t really see how the results are any better than random round robin sample instruments I make myself concerning unpredictability, if you scale away on rr for memory efficiency. Surely you have awesome converters and have long been in the game of making sampled instruments, so why not make the instruments more complete. I can add several different waveforms of one synth In, say, Alchemy, and edit them from the ground up.
Last edited by joachim.sallstrom on Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joachim.sallstrom

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:06 pm

Oh I know, I wasn't putting you in that group :D

With the VI Group Buy happening, it seems some of the "sampled vs modeled" binary, no grey areas or compromise accepted crowd seems to come out again.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Peter_IK wrote:Oh I know, I wasn't putting you in that group :D

With the VI Group Buy happening, it seems some of the "sampled vs modeled" binary, no grey areas or compromise accepted crowd seems to come out again.

Ok. I don’t get really how the instruments work though. Could you clear out what I asked about round robin layering?
joachim.sallstrom

Postby Peter_IK » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:36 pm

joachim.sallstrom wrote:

Ok. I don’t get really how the instruments work though. Could you clear out what I asked about round robin layering?

I guess I don't know exactly what you are asking. Each patch that has round robin has it implemented in the way the people who created it felt best served the sound. There is no patch by patch documentation about the round robin implementation sorry.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby joachim.sallstrom » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:49 pm

Peter_IK wrote:
joachim.sallstrom wrote:

I guess I don't know exactly what you are asking. Each patch that has round robin has it implemented in the way the people who created it felt best served the sound. There is no patch by patch documentation about the round robin implementation sorry.

Ok. Well what I’m looking for is to edit the pure waveforms from scratch. I’m mostly interested in if the Juno-60 instrument does rr all over for the basic waveforms?

I also wonder since I can’t enable several waveforms in one instance of the instrument, can I route several J-60 basic waveforms through the Juno chorus emulation?
joachim.sallstrom

Postby darkogav » Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:49 pm

Hi, is there any more info on DRIFT one can access? I saw Eriks discussion of the new drum library that uses DRIFT. But I am confused if its just RR in SampleTank?
darkogav

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More