B-3x, keyboard split and octave shifter

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

B-3x, keyboard split and octave shifter

Postby Gerald_Huguenin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:32 am

Hi everybody !

I'm trying B-3X and I'm very satisfy by the very good sounds (I have a Nord 5E as keyboard)... but I have one problem. When I split the keyboard, I cann't choice the octave of each splitting parts. And it'll be very usefull because I wish to achieve two parts of keyboard, the both beginning in C3 for example.
Have you an idea to solve this problem

Thanks for your help

Gerald
Gerald_Huguenin

Re: B-3x, keyboard split and octave shifter

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 am

Hello Gerald_Huguenin and welcome to the forum.

Just to be clear: you want both zones of the split keyboard to start at C3 (for example), Are the notes in each zone on different MIDI channels? Or how will you use those two zones?

And I cannot find a "Nord 5E". Did you mean the Nord Electro 5?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Gerald_Huguenin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:07 am

Thank you Darkstar for your answere...

Yes, I wish to split my keyboard in two zones each one beginning in C3... and both zone with a different midi channel.

And yes... I mean Nord Electro 5 d, sorry for the "shortcut" ;)

Thanks for your help !
Gerald_Huguenin

Postby DarkStar » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:48 am

OK, I do not think that that can be done within B-3X (by transposing one of the keyboards).

If you are using the B-3X as a plug-in in a DAW you may be able to use a plug-in, placed before the B-3X, to transpose the MIDI on the lower zone (that is the lower notes) upwards. For a standalone B-3X, something like MIDI-OX (Windows only?) may transpose the notes.
http://www.midiox.com/
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/how-do-i-install-and-use-midi-ox-for-windows/

Here is a plug-in, that I wrote for Reaper, but it can be used in other DAWs, on Windows, using the ReaPlugs package ( https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/ ).

The split is set to B2 and notes in the lower zone are transposed up by 3 octaves. The notes in the upper zone are not transposed. (You can also change the channel for notes in each Zone and use the graph to vary the velocities of the notes.)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Gerald_Huguenin » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:28 pm

Thank you darkstar for this complet answere,

In my case, I wish to use B-3X in live and in this context I do'nt want to use a DAW (too many operations to do for each song : the good preset for the DAW, for the B-3X and for the Nord.
I like the ability of the B-3x to change the preset with the preset knob of my Nord... very usefull. But I hesitate to buy it because this limitation of octave shifter.
I'll try your other suggestions... but I need something very easy to use : impossible to make a lot of change (too long on stage... and always a risk of mistake !).

Thank you !
Gerald_Huguenin

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More