Syntronik Instruments For Classic Prog Rock

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Syntronik Instruments For Classic Prog Rock

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:32 am

I'm a guitarist who writes in the style of Floyd, Rush, Yes, ELP and would like to add keys to my compositions. I'd like to take advantage of Ik's group buy and pick up (so far 3) a few of Syntronik Instruments. Which Syntronik Instruments would best be suited for this genre ?

Geddy, Wright, Wakeman, Emerson 8-)

Thanks....
Musical.Alchemy

Re: Syntronik Instruments For Classic Prog Rock

Postby integratron » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:17 pm

Check out this article - http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/transcripts/19970700eq.htm

I think that Geddy Lee used a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 on Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

The Syntronik Pro-V would be perfect. I have six of the Syntronik synths and this is my favourite thus far. Get it... you won't regret it!

I think that each synth in the collection has about 100 presets. I used some of my IKMM Jam Points and ended up purchasing two synths for about $70.00. So 600 presets for $70... that works out to less than $0.12 per preset... that's a steal IMHO... and I still have the potential to get two more Syntronik instruments free with the current Group Buy VI here:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=9777
Amplitube/SampleTank/Syntronik/TrackS/Steinberg UR22/Win 10 Pro/Dell XPS8700/intel i7 /TB HDD/8Gb RAM - J S Bach, the Einstein of music - Listen to D. Scarlatti and my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/
integratron

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Integratron.

Yes, the Pro V is definitely on my list. I believe most classic prog bands used the Prophet 5 at one time or another. Along with that I'm thinking the Harpi260, Memory V and Mini Mod. Judging by the Youtube videos I've seen these seem to fit the bill nicely. Though I know I'm leaving out others that I'll come back to on black Friday.

The only sound I can't seem to find is the Floyd Pad sounds, like on Wish You Were Here. Not sure judging by the videos I've seen which would fit best ?

What are the other five synths you have, and how do you like them ?

I'm hoping the group buy hits 3 free, that would help as I singled out 4 synths.
Musical.Alchemy

Postby integratron » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:31 pm

I actually have more Syntroniks than I realized!!!!!!

All of the IKMM Syntronik synths sound amazing to me. Most of the presets are great right out of the box. Those that are not, just need a bit of a tweak,

IKMM - Syntronik Blau - PPG Wave 2.3 - Another more esoteric synth.

IKMM - Syntronik Bully - Moog Taurus series - I've been playing electric bass guitar for about 60 years so... also see "Mike and the Mechanics" - yea, I'm really old! :shock:

IKMM - Syntronik Galaxy - Alesis Andromeda - I like this for its uniqueness.

IKMM - Syntronik J-8 - Roland Jupiter-8/6/4 - Love the sound... all things Roland, even the emulations, are great IMHO

IKMM - Syntronik MiniMod - Modular Moog, MiniMoog Model D, Moog Voyager - a true classic

IKMM - Syntronik OXa - Oberheim OB-X and OB-Xa - I have the Sonic Projects product as well - they are both killer synth plugs.

IKMM - Syntronik Pro-V - Prophet-5 and Prophet-10 - I bought this because I really dig the sound.

IKMM - Syntronik V-80 - Yamaha CS-80, GX-1 and CS-01 - I'm a huge YAMAHAHA fan and love the power of this baby.

I'm jonesing for the SEM. :mrgreen:
Amplitube/SampleTank/Syntronik/TrackS/Steinberg UR22/Win 10 Pro/Dell XPS8700/intel i7 /TB HDD/8Gb RAM - J S Bach, the Einstein of music - Listen to D. Scarlatti and my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/
integratron

Postby Peter_IK » Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:58 pm

I think Minimod gets the nod for being somewhat of a "flagship" or "keystone" of the collection (and of course a tone of deserved prog rock love) but the others mentioned above are superb and deserve a lot more time in the spotlight too.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:37 pm

Thanks for the mini reviews Integratron, they were very helpful.

And yea, I'm that old too :o
Musical.Alchemy

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Peter_IK wrote:I think Minimod gets the nod for being somewhat of a "flagship" or "keystone" of the collection (and of course a tone of deserved prog rock love) but the others mentioned above are superb and deserve a lot more time in the spotlight too.

Thanks Peter, I agree. After hearing the Minimod on Youtube I could hear all those great classics from Yes, ELP, Rush, ect come alive again.

Since you probably have a lot of exposure to the Syntronik Instruments what do you feel would best fit the soft lush keys of Rick Wright ? I couldn't find a good example of this on Youtube. But Yes, Genesis, Rush, ELP were all well represented.

I'm thinking (if the group buy hits 4) of Minimod, Pro-V, Memory-V, Harpy 260 or VCF3. And I already have the OXa thanks to IK's generosity ;)
Musical.Alchemy

Postby garfy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Musical.Alchemy wrote:Since you probably have a lot of exposure to the Syntronik Instruments what do you feel would best fit the soft lush keys of Rick Wright ?

I'm not sure how accurate this will be, but here's a rather interesting PDF solely about RWs keys throughout his recording life.

http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine28/Wr ... rev156.pdf

For WYWH era, the Minimod, Bully and the VCF3 will be the closest. Also, the String Box may get you close to the Solina String Ensemble.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Musical.Alchemy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:58 pm

garfy wrote:I'm not sure how accurate this will be, but here's a rather interesting PDF solely about RWs keys throughout his recording life.

http://sparebricks.fika.org/sbzine28/Wr ... rev156.pdf

For WYWH era, the Minimod, Bully and the VCF3 will be the closest. Also, the String Box may get you close to the Solina String Ensemble.

Thank you for that excellent article Garfy, it was very interesting. I see the VCS3 played a large part in his overall sound in Floyd, I'll definitely be adding the VCF3 to my list.

As well the Minimod, Pro-V, Bully, Memory-V, Harpy 260 and String Box all seem essential to a good solid Prog sound. In time I hope to add them all to my collection.
Musical.Alchemy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More