Hammond B-3X: tone-wheeels out of tune?

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Hammond B-3X: tone-wheeels out of tune?

Postby reuelt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:46 am

I have to use tone wheels 1 or 4 because A4 note on tone wheels number 2 & 3 are out of tune.

tone wheel
2 1960 A-100 #4444 A4 key appears to be audibly out of tune
3 1956 B-3 #63822 A4 key appears to be audibly out of tune

Wish IK would check and correct the tuning of these two tone-wheels samples.

A4 key when using tone wheels 1 and 4 are OK.
reuelt

Re: Hammond B-3X: tone-wheeels out of tune?

Postby DarkStar » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:02 am

I have split this post from the Wish-List as it is not a feature request, rather a possible bug.

Please report your findings to Support so that they can investigate and resolve any problems.

As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is check the FAQs, via here. If they do not resolve the issue, there is a link to the Technical Support form, for some one to one investigation and help. Response time is usually within 2 working days (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally), but in the current circumstances please allow some more time.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby reuelt » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:47 pm

I won't be reporting to support because it is not a programming bug.
Samples taken from old machines are faithful reproductions. If the old machines were out of tune, then the samples are out of tune. It is NOT any programmers fault.

It is easy to confirm.
Turn off Vibrator, Chorus and Leslie, reverb etc.
Play the D chord or D7 chord. They do not harmonise very well.
reuelt

Postby garfy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:45 am

Hi reuelt

I can't replicate your out of tune notes on either of the tone wheel sets you mention using the parameters you specify, either by ear or by using a Tuner plugin in my DAW. Set at A=440Hz the greatest fluctuation of pitch is +/- 1cent, which is pretty good in my book.

reuelt wrote:Wish IK would check and correct the tuning of these two tone-wheels samples.

reuelt wrote:I won't be reporting to support because it is not a programming bug.
Samples taken from old machines are faithful reproductions. If the old machines were out of tune, then the samples are out of tune. It is NOT any programmers fault.

Your opinions seem to be at odds with one another. I would humbly suggest that if the B-3X was a faithful recreation of an out of tune Hammond it would have been marketed as such. I would also suggest that, unless other users chime in here with similar experiences, this is not expected behaviour and a ticket into IK Support as DarkStar suggests would get your issues sorted for you.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby reuelt » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:45 am

Hammond tonewheels pitch are approximation when it comes to true pitch and that is known fact. The use of 192 teeth instead of the required 256 means some notes in 5th octave are by design out by 1.92cents.
I have tuned pipe tunes pipe organ samples myself and variation up to 6 cents are usually not discernable by a normal listener. I have even corrected a Wurlitzer organ preset that was out of tune in 1 note (the A5) out by about 30cents. I won't correct samples that are more than +-10cents out - I just rejected them.

Since I have been listening to Gigabytes of 96k precise organ samples, I may be more discerning or more critical than others. When using the 3rd tonewheel instead of the default of #2, I also perceive that A1 and B1 pedal keys are also probably out of tune. So I just stop using tone wheel #3 too.
As I said before, tone wheels 1 & 4 B-3X are both normal so I won't report to support.
reuelt

Postby DarkStar » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm

Technical Support deal with a lot more than programming errors.

In your earlier post you wished that IK Multimedia would check and correct the tuning of these two tone-wheels samples. How can they do it unless the precise details are reported to Support?

Maybe it was an out-of-tune organ. I doubt it but if so, IKM could consider retuning it or get other samples or some other solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ryan_IK » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:02 pm

reuelt wrote:As I said before, tone wheels 1 & 4 B-3X are both normal so I won't report to support.

Please send any details you have to support. If you believe something is wrong, we're more than happy to look into it.

Like the others above, I couldn't recreate this behavior from the short description. It's possible some more details will help our team investigate this as best as possible.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
Ryan_IK
Senpai

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More