Sampletank and amplitube as Ableton plugins

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sampletank and amplitube as Ableton plugins

Postby Andrzej71 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Hi guys

Does anyone uses sampletank as a plugin in ableton - I'm especially after percussion, hoever recording guitar straight to ableton would be nice too, so then has anyone uses amplitube as a plugint to ableton. I got lite version, maybe this is the problem, as I can't find a way to have either sampletank or amplitube working with ableton.

If you could point me in the right direction - this would be great.
Andrzej71

Re: Sampletank and amplitube as Ableton plugins

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Both SampleTank and AmpliTube work very well in Ableton Live. Make sure you are running a 64-bit version as our plugins are 64-bit only.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby Andrzej71 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:39 pm

Thank you for quick reply, I was browsing youtube and looking generally how to have both in Ableton, couldn't really start, are there any tutorials or step by step setup available anywhere?

Will keep trying however I must say things are not that obvious.
Andrzej71

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:49 pm

First of all: have you used other third-party plug-in in Ableton Live? If not, then check out the Live manual for some guidance.

You will need to install SampleTank 4 ("ST4") and AmpliTube 4 ("AT4") selecting the appropriate plug-in format for use in Ableton Live. Then get Live to scan for those plug-ins. Once they are listed in Live's Browser you should be able to load ST4 as an instrument and AT4 as an Effect onto a Live track, just as you would for other plug-ins.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Andrzej71 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi, thank you, eventually something turned up, under plugins but not under instruments, still some progress. I understand that there is learning curve about this. Couldn't record drums in Ableton, but at least I can hear it is playing.

Thank you for not leaving me alone with the problem.
Andrzej71

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:35 pm

For ST4, I reckon that you should be able to record the MIDI going into it on a Live track. Or, maybe Record the audio output by ST4 onto another Live track.

(But I do not know Live at all :))
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby garfy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:23 pm

Andrzej71 wrote:eventually something turned up, under plugins but not under instruments

Live is a bit less obvious with plugins than some other DAWs, as you've probably seen. Everything 3rd party comes under the term "plugins" and Live will then allow you to drop it onto a specific type of track. For example, SampleTank 4 is a MIDI instrument so you can drop it onto a MIDI track, but if you try and put it on an Audio track you'll get a no-entry sign.

AmpliTube 4 is an audio effect plugin (it doesn't generate its own sound) so it can go on either a MIDI or Audio track (or on the Master Output for that matter).

Andrzej71 wrote:Couldn't record drums in Ableton, but at least I can hear it is playing.

To get ST4 to work in Live:
1) In Session View or Arrangement View, choose Plugins from the selection box on the left and then drag/drop AT4 onto a MIDI track.
2) Open a preset in AT4 on the first instrument part.
3) In the AT4 track in Live make sure that a) 'MIDI from' shows 'All Ins' (you may need to change this depending on your keyboard) and 'All Channels' (again you may need to change this depending on your setup)
4) In the same track, 'Monitor' should be 'Auto' and you should 'Arm Recording'

At this point you should be able to hear your sound being triggered by your keyboard and, if you press the Record Button at the top of the window, be able to record your performance on the track in Live.

If in doubt, there is a handy help window in the bottom left-hand corner that give you tips wherever you point your mouse pointer.

Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby Andrzej71 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:22 pm

Many thanks guys. Getting there slowly, but surely. Thank you again for not leaving me in the darkness of ignorance.
Andrzej71

Postby Andrzej71 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 am

Hi Again.

Let me thank you again, as I've written before it's slowly started to work for me.

Few worlds of explanation - it might help someone who experiences similar obstructions in workflow. My idea was to use Ableton with Sampletank and Amplitube to create loops for guitar practice, nothing really that sophisticated.

At first Ableton somehow didn't picked up IK software libraries and I couldn't find anything. It might be order of software installation or so. Navigating to VST and picking folders manually did the job.

Then I couldn't figure out how to record preexisting drum loops form Sampletank to Ableton - drums were playing in a tempo required, but I didn't know how to record it. To figure out all this need time spent using software and reading manual. There are quite a few videos on Youtube showing bits and bobs, mostly not showing exactly what I needed or being on a lot more advanced level, where I was lacking basic knowledge.

Maybe all this is to sophisticated for what I really need and it is total overkill, however I got all the software because I bought IK product, so I didn't need to pay anything extra, so why not to use it.
Must say that I'm quite glad with my first looping experiment in Ableton (now transfered to Boss looper and played through amp). I'm still mostly using my intuition and trial and error approach.

Sorry for a bit long-winded post, wanted to share my joy of having task done (somehow it gave sense of achieving something, which feels good).

Thank you for all your posts to my thread. I'm still mostly in the darkness, so if you get any brilliant ideas about creating loops for guitar (or other instrument) practice, please continue.

thanks
Andrzej71

Postby DarkStar » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:22 pm

I'm glad to hear that you are now up and running. Just take a moment and think of how much you have learned during this exercise. :)

And, as you continue, you will find other things that you can do with the combination of Live, SampleTank and AmpliTube. And some things beyond your wildest dreams :)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More