How do I record SampleTank 4 in Logic Pro X? [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

How do I record SampleTank 4 in Logic Pro X? [Resolved]

Postby supanorton » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm

Hi, hoping everyone is well in these crazy times.

I have filed a support ticket, but I'm hoping a user can help me out as I know how busy support is these days.

As the subject suggests, I'm trying to record SampleTank 4 in Logic Pro X. I've searched the internet and YouTube videos, IK and user tutorials, but I haven't found anything helpful for this particular piece of the puzzle. I'm new to SampleTank, so please forgive my ignorance.

I can load SampleTank on a virtual instrument track; I can load, play, and hear the instruments, load grooves/loops and hear those as well. I've tried creating midi and pattern regions, hitting record. I'm stumped. Ideally, I'd like to record the audio, but I'd also like to know how to record the midi as well, if possible.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to record any of them on a track in Logic. How do I do it?
supanorton

Re: How do I record SampleTank 4 in Logic Pro X?

Postby garfy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Hi supanorton

You don't mention what version of Logic that your using, so I'm assuming it is a relatively recent one.

To record ST4 as MIDI is the same as recording any performance into a software instruments, either Logic stock or third-party. On the instrument channel you have loaded ST4 into, hit the 'R' (record armed) button on the track, press the big Record button and play your MIDI keyboard. If you're hearing the instrument then Logic should be able to record the MIDI data for playback. If it's not, then this might be a problem with Logic and not ST4.

To record the output of a software instrument you need to do a couple of extra things in Logic:
1) On the Output of the instrument, change it (probably from its default Stereo Out) to a Bus. The instrument will now be silent if you play it.
2) Create a new audio track and change its Input to match the Bus that you have set the software instrument Output to.
3) Record Arm both tracks. You should now hear the instrument and see levels on both channel strips.
4) Press the big record button and play your keyboard. Your performance should be recorded as both MIDI and Audio. Here's a screenshot to show you the routing.

Image>>>>>>>https://i.imgur.com/1uWCkmb.jpg

Let us know how you get on.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby supanorton » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:27 pm

garfy wrote:Hi supanorton

You don't mention what version of Logic that your using, so I'm assuming it is a relatively recent one.

To record ST4 as MIDI is the same as recording any performance into a software instruments, either Logic stock or third-party. On the instrument channel you have loaded ST4 into, hit the 'R' (record armed) button on the track, press the big Record button and play your MIDI keyboard. If you're hearing the instrument then Logic should be able to record the MIDI data for playback. If it's not, then this might be a problem with Logic and not ST4.

To record the output of a software instrument you need to do a couple of extra things in Logic:
1) On the Output of the instrument, change it (probably from its default Stereo Out) to a Bus. The instrument will now be silent if you play it.
2) Create a new audio track and change its Input to match the Bus that you have set the software instrument Output to.
3) Record Arm both tracks. You should now hear the instrument and see levels on both channel strips.
4) Press the big record button and play your keyboard. Your performance should be recorded as both MIDI and Audio. Here's a screenshot to show you the routing.

Image>>>>>>>https://i.imgur.com/1uWCkmb.jpg

Thank you so much, garfy! I'll try later on and report back.
supanorton

Postby supanorton » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:32 am

garfy wrote:Hi supanorton

That worked! For some reason, Logic doesn't record the midi of the drum loops. I can copy and paste them in from their respective folders, but I lose the sound of the SampleTank drum kits. Is there a way to use the midi regions in a Logic track to trigger the sounds in SampleTank?
supanorton

Postby garfy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:20 am

supanorton wrote:Logic doesn't record the midi of the drum loops

ST4 does not output MIDI.

supanorton wrote:I can copy and paste them in from their respective folders, but I lose the sound of the SampleTank drum kits. Is there a way to use the midi regions in a Logic track to trigger the sounds in SampleTank?

Unless I misunderstand you, if you have a drum kit loaded into ST4 and then drag and drop a *.mid file from the Patterns folder into LPX on the instrument track the MIDI file triggers the samples in the drum kit on playback.
garfy

Postby supanorton » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 am

garfy wrote:
supanorton wrote:Logic doesn't record the midi of the drum loops

ST4 does not output MIDI.

supanorton wrote:I can copy and paste them in from their respective folders, but I lose the sound of the SampleTank drum kits. Is there a way to use the midi regions in a Logic track to trigger the sounds in SampleTank?

Unless I misunderstand you, if you have a drum kit loaded into ST4 and then drag and drop a *.mid file from the Patterns folder into LPX on the instrument track the MIDI file triggers the samples in the drum kit on playback.

Okay. This all makes sense now. I realized that all I had to do was load SampleTank 4 on the track AFTER I posted. Sorry about that. I so appreciate your help. Thank you.
supanorton

Postby garfy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Hey, no worries supanorton. Happy to help.

As this thread has been resolved for the user it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.

• If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
• If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic. Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
garfy

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More