Multiple same instruments Miroslav Philharmonik 2[Solved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Multiple same instruments Miroslav Philharmonik 2[Solved]

Postby j_made_it » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:53 am

So I installed all the sound dmg's to my imac's hard drive but just recently got an external ssd that I wanted to transfer all the sounds to. After some research I found that you could just copy the IK Multimedia folder from MAC HD/Users/Shared/IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3 and paste it to the new ssd.

The issue I am having now is when I open the plugin I get 2 instances of the same instrument. One will play then the other gives me "failed to load instrument" There is no way to delete the one that is not working. Here is a dropbox link that shows the image of the error. I've searched all day in the forums and haven't found anything about this. I also forgot to mention that I already went into the stand alone app and selected the new destinations for the sounds. Thanks for your help in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uy6sb09z7y8ru ... t.png?dl=0
j_made_it

Re: Having multiple same instruments Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Postby j_made_it » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:13 am

So It's not just Miroslav Philharmonik 2. It is every sound bank that I have uploaded. Happened in Sample Tank 3 and my Syntronik Library. Here is another photo for reference. The '._FM E-Bass' are the ones that don't work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9cmhr7bkgntws ... t.png?dl=0
j_made_it

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:00 am

Hello j_made_it and welcome to the forum.

They look like 2 different issues to me.

(a) Duplicates
Can you try rebuilding the cache database in MP2? Click the circular arrow button below the browser.

Also, please check that the "instrument-definition" files are not duplicated in the "Instruments" sub-folder(s).

Finally, with the software not running, find the cache database file (content.db?). On Windows 7 here, my ST3 one is in ...\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3. Rename it. Then open MP2 standalone and rebuild it. Only do this if you fully understand what you are doing.

(b) ._ files
These are something the OSX can use (cannot remember what for). I am not sure why they would show up in the ST3 Browser. But I do not know MACs. garfy may be able to advice later on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleSingle_and_AppleDouble_formats
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6997793
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby garfy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:47 am

DarkStar wrote:These are something the OSX can use (cannot remember what for). I am not sure why they would show up in the ST3 Browser. But I do not know MACs. garfy may be able to advice later on.

Strange. I've only seen them come up on Windows but not on macOS. I'd take a guess at it being because the file format has changed when you copied from your HD to the SSD.

@j_made_it - What is the SSD formatted to?
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby j_made_it » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:53 am

Thanks for getting back to me @Darkstar.
DarkStar wrote:(a) Duplicates
Can you try rebuilding the cache database in MP2? Click the circular arrow button below the browser.

Tried this and still same issue
DarkStar wrote:Also, please check that the "instrument-definition" files are not duplicated in the "Instruments" sub-folder(s).

Here is the path from my ssd showing sampletank 3. There is a lot of things in there and not sure if some are duplicated or not. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yktbwknxjvccv ... h.png?dl=0
and this is the instrument path just in IK Multimedia showing nothing in it. Not sure if this is the problem
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf7m2brv6g9dq ... s.png?dl=0
j_made_it

Postby j_made_it » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply @garfy
garfy wrote:@j_made_it - What is the SSD formatted to?

This is just a plug and go SSD. Not really sure what it was formatted to. Here is a link to the one I just bought. Hope this helps.
https://shop.westerndigital.com/product ... 0-250G-G25
j_made_it

Postby j_made_it » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:03 am

Still no luck but I did open a support ticket explaining the same thing as I did here and they mentioned to delete it from the original disk path.
I guess I'm not sure what this means. After I moved the IK multimedia folder to my SSD I deleted it off my imacs hard drive. Also I ended up uninstalling Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and deleting all the files to the best of my knowledge off my SSD and tried reinstalling it and still am getting the same issue.
They also mentioned that i might need to uninstall the application then reinstall, then set the disk path to where your sound content is located.
So if this is the case, how would I go about uninstalling everything IK Multimedia and restarting over. Definitely hope this isn't the only option as you all know how long the install process takes.

Thanks again for all your help
j_made_it

Postby DarkStar » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:43 pm

Looking at your screenshots there is some oddities there. For the general folder hierarchy for ST3 (including MP2) and ST4, please have a look at: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?category=11&topic=sampletank-4 then click on "I can't find or load my Virtual Instrument's sound content library, what can I do?".

In the first screenshot, I would expect to see only 2 folders at the second level - "SampleTank 3" and SampleTank 4". The disk path in ST3's (or MP2's or Syntronik's) Settings should be to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" - the software is expecting to see an "Instruments" sub-folder (and other stuff) within the disk path.

The Sound Contents paths in ST4's Settings should be to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4" and to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3".

Here is the folder hierarchy here, in Windows 7 (I do not have MP2 or the full Syntronik):
Image >>> https://i.imgur.com/PTDuBqC.png

Only do the following if you fully understand what you are doing.
-- It looks like the other folders and files at the second level are the result of some earlier installation or move.
-- Look in the other folders at the second level and compare that contents with that of the same folders in "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3"
-- if the second-level folders have different or newer content, move it into the equivalent folders in "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3".
-- Rename those other folders at the second level only, just to keep them out of the way; add a suffix, say, "_notused".
-- Rename the cache.db files at the second level only, just to keep them out of the way; add a suffix, say, "_notused".

-- Start MP2 standalone, and set the disk path to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" and let the database rebuild. Close it.
-- Start Syntronik standalone, and set the disk path to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" and let the database rebuild. Close it.
-- Start ST3 standalone, and set the disk path to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" and let the database rebuild. Close it.
-- Start ST4 standalone, and set the disk paths to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 4" and to "IK Multimedia/SampleTank 3" and let the database rebuild. Close it.

Phew. If you do try this, please report back.

------------------------------------

I don't think that reinstalling the software would help. Reinstalling the sounds libraries would - that is simpler than the above steps but will take longer.

But if you do decide to reinstall, please reply to Support, with your screenshots or a link to this thread and ask for precise step-by-step instructions.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby j_made_it » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:24 am

Wow, thank you for the descriptive reply. So I tried cleaning up the folder and it was still showing up as 2 instruments so then I decided to uninstall everything and delete all the IK Multimedia files and folders.

Then I started the process all over and reinstalled Miroslav Philharmonik 2 and after a couple hours of it installing I went to open the Stand alone version and it is still showing up with the double instruments. So at this point I feel like it might have to be something with my SSD.

This program worked fine when the sound libraries were just on my imac's hard drive. So I am starting to think that all my sounds just have to go on my internal which is a bummer because I was trying to free up some space, that is why I got the external.
j_made_it

Postby j_made_it » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:24 am

I'm not really sure where to go from here. But I do appreciate you taking the time
j_made_it

Postby j_made_it » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:14 am

So a quick update:

I put the sounds back on my imacs hd and the problem went away. Wondering now if I have to format my ssd now. Not really sure how to do that but gonna do some research. I will update more after I figure something out
j_made_it

Postby garfy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am

Hi j_made_it

j_made_it wrote:Wondering now if I have to format my ssd now. Not really sure how to do that but gonna do some research.

As long as you're sure there is nothing on the SSD that you want to keep, you can format it as follows:

1) Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility.
2) Locate and click on your external disk in the list on the left-hand side. Make sure it says it is GUID Partition Map.
3) Click on the arrow next to it and it will reveal the Physical Volume.
4) Highlight this Physical Volume and then click Erase at the top of the Disk Utility window.
5) Name the drive as you want it to appear on the desktop/in Finder.
6) Click the dropdown box for Format. If this drive is only going to be used with a Mac I would suggest to format as APFS. This is a specific format for SSD on Mac as it's fast and less prone to corruption. If you think you may use the drive with a Windows PC then you will have to format as "ex-FAT" which works with both Mac/PC.
7) Click Erase. This will unmount the drive, erase, format and then mount the drive when finished.

I have no idea if this is going to help with your issue and, to be honest, if it doesn't I think that would be the time to contact IK Support who can give you some one-to-one help with the issue. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:36 pm

Hold on a moment - when you say "double instruments" do they have exactly the same name, or does one of them start with "._"?

Are those ._ files still in your MP2 Sound library on the system disk? Could that be the underlying reason for nearly all the problems? Maybe your system disk supports use of those files and the SSD does not. That could be related to the disk format -can you check the SSD format before you reformat it?

Dot underscore files are Mac system files. They are the result of storing your files on a hard drive partition that does not support extended file attributes. They have likely always been there on your Mac, but since they are OS X system files, they were hidden.

Also, if you get the error shown in your first screenshot, drag the scroll bar to the right so we can see the file name:
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby j_made_it » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 pm

DarkStar wrote:Hold on a moment - when you say "double instruments" do they have exactly the same name, or does one of them start with "._"?

So some had the same name and some had the ._ so what I did was format my SSD to my imac last night and started from the top again. (sorry @darkstar, didn't see what it was formatted too before I reformatted it) So far, Miroslav Philharmonik is back to normal. Just finished with Syntronik and now working on sampletank3. I think since my SSD was a plug and go it was reading window files too somehow and displaying them inside the plugin's sound library. When I am finished with installing everything I will give an update to let you know what I find out. Also @garfy there was no option for APFS. The one I selected was OS X Extended (Journaled)

Thanks again for your guys help and hopefully just reformatting it was the solution
j_made_it

Postby j_made_it » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:29 am

So I think that was the issue. Everything is working fine now. Never had to format something before but seems to be working.

Found the solution I feel like!
Thanks for your guys help.
j_made_it

Next

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More