Moving Sampletank 4 to new hardrive

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Moving Sampletank 4 to new hardrive

Postby Kalikiano » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:17 pm

[Mod note - split from other topic as this is a different subject]

I'm so happy this thread got started.

Recently, my MacBook Pro has been giving my the annoying, "Disk Space Low" notifications. I currently have the 120 GB setup and don't feel like purchasing an aftermarket SSD. Long story short, I was receiving Kernel Panics after using 3 different OWC SSD.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to have SampleTank 4 and AmpliTube 4 use the sound instruments on an external hard drive while using the app on the actual MacBook's drive.

I'm going to try it out today, but if any other Mac users have a solution, please let me know.

Thanks guys!
Kalikiano

Re: Moving Sampletank 4 to new hardrive

Postby garfy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:38 am

Hi Kalikiano

I've made your post into a new topic as it was a different purpose to the one you posted on.

You can move your SampleTank 4 sound content from its default location to a secondary drive. The external drive realistically needs to be SSD over USB3 to ensure that streaming is at a usable speed, but you could probably get away with a 7200rpm HD depending on your requirements.

1) Locate the sample content (default Mac installation is Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > Documents > IK Multimedia > SampleTank 4).
2) Move the whole IK Multimedia folder (the "SampleTank 4" folder within it should contain a number of other folders such as Instruments and Samples) and move this to your required new location.
3) Open SampleTank 4 in standalone and go to Settings>Sound Content. Remove the original pathway and Add the new pathway to "SampleTank 4"
4) It should rescan automatically. If not, hit Rescan All. ST4 should now rebuild the database.

Note that this does not move the app, just the sound content. There is no additional content for AmpliTube 4 it is all part of the app, so this must stay on the OS drive.
Hope that helps.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby altmail@bresnan.net » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:40 pm

The Path for Content in Windows 10 is C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\IK Multimedia\.
All the IK product paths are C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia. ( This path doesn't exist in Windows 10 ).
If you change the path to the correct path, it change and displays back to the incorrect path; C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\IK Multimedia\.

Sample Tank, Sample Tron, Miroslov all have the incorrect paths and will change the correct path to the incorrect path.

How does this make any sense at all?
How are the IK products Finding the sound samples, in a path the Doesn't even exist in Window 10?
altmail@bresnan.net

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:50 pm

Sounds like something is off / happened in your specific setup. IK Support can assist you directly of you can install the sound libraries to whichever directory you desire (you can find more information about how to do so in the IK Product Manager User Manual). Thanks!
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby altmail@bresnan.net » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:11 am

Nothing is off in the installation.
When I click on the path, from the gear icon, it goes to C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\IK Multimedia\.
Windows 10 doesn't have a Users\Public\Documents folder, only a Public Documents folder, but IK displays it and changes it to; C:\Users\Public\Documents every time.

[mod redacted: Unnecessary, please review the rules as well before posting]
altmail@bresnan.net

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More