SampleTank 4 drag patterns to DAW

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

SampleTank 4 drag patterns to DAW

Postby mkdaws32 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 pm

Is this seriously not a feature in Sampletank 4? I LOVE the new ARP and Strummer, but after creating some very realistic acoustic guitar patterns, I can't copy them as MIDI into a DAW track?

I understand the patterns can be triggered from a midi track and recorded as audio, but I like to work with the raw midi in the DAW, copy it multiple times, and tweak each loop for more variation and realism. The strummer is awesome and quick for creating base patterns, but tedious to try and create all of the variations I would need.

Is it possible to export user patterns as midi loops; either drag and drop or otherwise? I've searched google and the forums here and have not seen anything on this, so sorry if this has been posted before.

Thanks!
mkdaws32

Re: SampleTank 4 drag patterns to DAW

Postby ugpfpv » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:57 pm

I JUST started to play with Strummer myself, yeah that would be nice! Are the files saved somewhere where you can grab them at least?
ugpfpv

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:22 am

Please add your requests to the official SampleTank Wish List.

Here, the Arp, Phraser and Strummer preset files are stored in sub-folders in ...\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 4\... They are all in XML format.

Phraser patterns files are.MID files.
  • The ST4 patterns are in sub-folders in ...\Documents\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 4\Patterns\...
  • ST3 patterns are in the main sound library (L:\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 3\Patterns).
But Strummer Patterns are in XML format.

Also: any idea what this is for?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby mkdaws32 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks DarkStar - yeah, I will have to add this to the wish list for sure.

That Drag and Drop link seems to allow you to drag the pattern above it to assign it to a key in the pattern set list - kinda redundant. Maybe it's a quick way to get a user-modified pattern into the pattern set list on the fly? Not sure it works that way - haven't played with it much other than trying to use it to drag a pattern to a DAW track (which obviously doesn`t work).

I`ll look at the Midi patterns in the location you specified. If user patterns are stored as standard midi files somewhere, as well as the built-in patterns, that`s a clunky but usable workaround for me for now.

All in all ST4 has been awesome - especially after the first few releases after some of the sample issues and resource issues were fixed. And the new ST4 Editor is a very welcome addition indeed!
mkdaws32

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:40 pm

Strummer patterns are in XML format.

Phraser patterns are .mid files, but they are special somehow. I moved some other .mid files into the Phraser/Patterns folder - they load (at least the name appears in the Phraser list) but they do not play.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby mkdaws32 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Ahh - I missed that :( The Strummer patterns are the ones I want to copy out to the DAW.
mkdaws32

Postby ugpfpv » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Cool, I'll have to check it out unless they are encoded it shouldn't be too to make some sort of converter/utility
ugpfpv

Postby ugpfpv » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:52 pm

mkdaws32, are you using the editor, would love to hear your process.
ugpfpv

Postby DarkStar » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:53 pm

PS: it would be best to change your Account Name away from an email address, to minimise the chance of it being harvested by web bots and you receiving all sorts of 'special offers', bank account verification requests, Amazon Prime renewals, tax refunds etc from all over the place for years and years. You can change it here:.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby mkdaws32 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:03 am

ugpfpv wrote:Cool, I'll have to check it out unless they are encoded it shouldn't be too to make some sort of converter/utility

Thinking the same here ;) I've been more high-level the past few years, but I've done my share of XML parsing and conversions in various previous software development roles. Problem is time - I literally have dozens of projects stacked up at the moment.

I haven't used the editor, but I have a stellar deep sampled drum kit from DrumDrops (the Mapex Heavy Rock kit). One of the projects would be to create a Sampletank Instrument for this using the new editor (I did an SFZ instrument for sForzando a few years back and Drum Drops distributed it with the samples). I also have a bunch of Peavey Foundation S Bass samples I recorded myself with many round robins and articulations - I was working on an SFZ instrument for that at one time, but never finished it. It might be easier in the SampleTank editor though. I guess I'll see!
mkdaws32

Postby mkdaws32 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:05 am

DarkStar wrote:PS: it would be best to change your Account Name away from an email address, to minimise the chance of it being harvested by web bots and you receiving all sorts of 'special offers', bank account verification requests, Amazon Prime renewals, tax refunds etc from all over the place for years and years. You can change it here:.

Yikes! Absolutely - I had another account I used last year when testing, troubleshooting and reporting issues with ST4 when it first came out, but I couldn't recover it for some reason, so I just created this one quickly - didn't think about the email address showing up, honestly. Changing that now!
mkdaws32

Postby ugpfpv » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:16 pm

DarkStar wrote:Strummer patterns are in XML format.

Phraser patterns are .mid files, but they are special somehow. I moved some other .mid files into the Phraser/Patterns folder - they load (at least the name appears in the Phraser list) but they do not play.

Did you have the file name format right? the spaces and bpm etc...
i loaded one into my daw modified it and it played in sampletank no problem
ugpfpv

Postby ugpfpv » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:59 pm

mkdaws32 wrote:
ugpfpv wrote:Cool, I'll have to check it out unless they are encoded it shouldn't be too to make some sort of converter/utility

Thinking the same here ;) I've been more high-level the past few years, but I've done my share of XML parsing and conversions in various previous software development roles. Problem is time - I literally have dozens of projects stacked up at the moment.

I haven't used the editor, but I have a stellar deep sampled drum kit from DrumDrops (the Mapex Heavy Rock kit). One of the projects would be to create a Sampletank Instrument for this using the new editor (I did an SFZ instrument for sForzando a few years back and Drum Drops distributed it with the samples). I also have a bunch of Peavey Foundation S Bass samples I recorded myself with many round robins and articulations - I was working on an SFZ instrument for that at one time, but never finished it. It might be easier in the SampleTank editor though. I guess I'll see!

Here's a little utility I made to make automap naming easier, there doesn't seem to be enough interest in people actually using the editor to create their own instruments so I'm not going to develop it for public consumption just for personal use..
Imageautomap
ugpfpv

Postby DarkStar » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:11 pm

ugpfpv wrote:
DarkStar wrote:Strummer patterns are in XML format.

Did you have the file name format right? the spaces and bpm etc...
i loaded one into my daw modified it and it played in sampletank no problem

That may have been it - I did not rename them.

And, yes, they all play OK within the DAW, triggering ST4 correctly. But I was trying to load them into the ST4 Phraser play-list - I renamed a couple, selected each into the play-list and ST4 threw an error which crashed the DAW.

I wanted to put them in the play-list as they are easier to trigger there.

----------------------
Edit: some success
(a) I changed the notes to be on MIDI channel 01
(b) the naming format in the User Manual is incorrect - there is no space between the tempo number and "bpm".
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby ugpfpv » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:17 am

what I did just to test it was load the mid file into the daw than change a few notes just so I know it was different, then I saved it and added to the end of the file name.
ugpfpv

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More