IK products volume not affected by fader in Cubase 10

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

IK products volume not affected by fader in Cubase 10

Postby rwwatson » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi all,

Best wishes to all on the forum: hope you're all keeping safe and doing lots of composing.

I am using ST4 and Miroslav 2 on Cubase and loving the great sounds from IKM...but when using the main mixer in Cubase 10 the volume faders do not volume of ST4 or Miroslav instruments. The volume faders work with all my other VSTs.

I can, of course, change the volume faders on the ST4 or Miroslav mixers but I don't want to keep changing to those pages. This seems such a basic thing but i can't figure it out. Any help much appreciated.

Rich Watson
rwwatson

Re: IK products volume not affected by fader in Cubase 10

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:26 pm

Hello rwwatson and welcome to the forum.

I do not know how multi-output plug-ins are used in Cubase, but you need to use the faders on the Cubase tracks to which the audio from ST4 or MP is routed. Not the fader on the track where the plug-in is.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby rwwatson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:49 pm

Hi Darkstar,

I have seen many of your posts on the forum so thank you for replying : it is much appreciated. On the Cubase mixer there is obviously the Stereo output channel ( in my case the old standard stereo output (1-2)). If I have one ST4 sound then it's easy to just use that one fader. But with 7 or 8 (poss. up to 16) ST sounds in one project, would they not then all need a separate out for each sound? Apologies if this is a dumb question!

Rich
rwwatson

Postby DarkStar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:07 pm

Not a dumb question - and the answer is yes!

That's the bit of Cubase that I do not know - how to set up multiple tracks for the multiple audio outputs from a plug-in such as SampleTank (on Kontakt etc).

Google "multi-output plug-in in Cubase" or "SampleTank in Cubase"
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby rwwatson » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi DarkStar,

Thanks again: this has been really helpful: I shall delve further into this. It seems unusual that most VST manufacturers have an "inbuilt" routing of their VST outputs to the Cubase mixer and that IKM has a slightly different architecture.

Rich
rwwatson

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm

You're welcome. :)

rwwatson wrote:... most VST manufacturers have an "inbuilt" routing of their VST outputs to the Cubase mixer and that IKM has a slightly different architecture.

I don't understand that, can you go into the details? Perhaps what you need to do with SampleTank and what you need to do with another manufacturer's multi-output plug-in?

In SampleTank and the other multi-output plug-ins that I use, I just route the mixer within the plug-in to the appropriate output channels. Now, I would agree that it is easier to set up those output channels in some DAWs than in others. But within the plug-ins the principle is the same.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby Peter_IK » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:27 pm

SampleTank works like any other multitimbral virtual instrument. It isn't "built differently" than others.

You should be able to route both multiple tracks of MIDI into and multiple audio tracks as outputs on multiout virtual instruments like SampleTank. Looks like it doesn't matter whether you use instrument tracks or the instrument rack any more either (from what I recall only one of those supported multi-out in the past): https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=124404

The Cubase manual for your version should elaborate exactly how to set up multiple outputs for virtual instruments
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby rwwatson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Thanks again for these responses, and Hi to Peter. Thank you for your input. I was reading a response you both made to ericda in Nov 2017. I wonder whether we are at cross purposes; I am not talking about separate audio outs: I only have a stereo pair of outs from Cubase so can't change this.

I am still getting my musician's ( so far; not technician's !) brain around routing and instrument tracks and so on. But if I open, say, an instance of Halion from the rack ( also a 16 track multi timbral VST like Sampletank) and then put a piano, say, into slot one of that rack, a MIDI and an audio track will open in the Cubase mixer . To add an instrument into all 16 of those slots? Yes; All 16 of those MIDI channels will be effective in the cubase mixer.

I could also open, say Rob Papen Blue, and despite not being multi-timbral; that MIDI channel assigned to Blue will also be operative.

But if I open ST4 from the rack and put , again, say, a piano or indeed, any sound in slot one, then, again, a MIDI channel will open for that sound in the cubase mixer but, unlike the other VSTs , that MIDI fader won't be operative, whereas the ST audio output for all those 16 poss. slots in the cubase mixer will work. So, Peter, i guess that's my point about IKM being different: I wonder why all my other VSTs MIDI faders will work out of the box in the Cubase Mix console but IKM won't.

DarkStar; in your post to ericda three years ago you mentioned having to reset CC7 settings in ST3; is this what I shall have to do? And how?

Once again, thanks for your input.

Rich
rwwatson

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:42 pm

Yes, you will need to assign CC#07 (Volume) messages to the faders.

SampleTank 4, by default, does not map MIDI CC #07 messages control the volume faders. You can do that using "MIDI Learn"; right-click the fader in ST4, select "MIDI Learn" and adjust the MIDI fader. You can check the assignment in the "MIDI Assignments" window. Details are in the ST4 User Manual.

Here, I have two instruments loaded and am sending MIDI notes AND CC#07 messages to both of them (in the MIDI piano roll, they are in red and blue respectively). I have "MIDI Learned" CC#07 to the fader for the second instrument. You will see the meters in ST4 show the audio for both and the second fader move.

I'll guess that HALion and some other instrument plug-ins do have CC#07 assigned automatically. But many do not.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DarkStar » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:49 pm

Also, when we talk of multi-outputs above, we mean output channels from the plug-in to the DAW. In the DAW these will be combined in some manner and then sent to the audio interface, which will have 2 or more channels.

Multi-output plug-ins enable us to add different effects to the sounds after they have left the plug-in. Or route them to different busses. Or .... Of course, with ST4 you can apply effects on its Mixer, Send and Master channels.

And it is in the ST4 MIxer, at the bottom of each channel, where you can select the different channels out of ST4 to your DAW.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More