B-3X -- Latch not working [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

B-3X -- Latch not working [Resolved]

Postby lagouyn » Sun May 17, 2020 2:05 pm

Hello,

Running B-3X for Mac, version 1.3.0.

I've configured my MIDI controller to send CC on/off messages matching some of the CC's for parameters in the "Midi Controllers" section of the B-3X settings screen. I've verified that B-3X will successfully "Learn" from input from my controller, so I'm pretty sure the MIDI connection is good.

However, I cannot get Latch to work.

For example, with "Leslie Speed" set to use "CC 1" (and with a button on my controller set to send this messages), and with "Latch" enabled, then if I press and release the corresponding button on my controller, I observed that "Leslie Speed" is unaffected.

Per the B-3X documentation, with Latch set, a button press should toggle and persist the state of "Leslie Speed".

Using the "MIDI Monitor" application, I verified that this is sending "CC 1" with a value of "1" when I press the button, and "CC 1" with a value of "0" when I release the button.

Could someone help me with this?

Thanks.
-Allan
lagouyn

Re: B-3X -- Latch not working

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Hello lagouyn and welcome to the forum.

Just a guess- shouldn't the CC#01 data values be 127 and 0?
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby lagouyn » Sun May 17, 2020 7:03 pm

That worked ... that you very much for your helpful suggestion!

I'm a programmer, so I was thinking of 0 and 1 in boolean terms. :)

Regards,
Allan
lagouyn

Postby dlgebert » Sun May 17, 2020 7:48 pm

lagouyn wrote:I'm a programmer, so I was thinking of 0 and 1 in boolean terms.

I've been a software developer both professionally and as a hobby since 1984. One of the types of software I was working on quite a bit about 15 years ago was MIDI data stream routing (devices, channels, etc.) and manipulation (effects like doubling, one note chords, strumming, arpeggiation etc.).

CC (Continuous Controller) data is meant to handle continuous streams of data that are generated from a pitchwheel, modulation wheel, etc. that were found on most synthesizers to mimick the continuous analog voltage changes in early analog synthesizers.

While pitchwheel is in its own "class" (Pitch Bend Change), with its own range of discreet values, (0 - 16383), CC values are always between (0 - 127), zero being fully off and 127 being fully on, and all values in between controlling various parameters.

In your case, it was just off (0) or on (127). But what about a three way switch? That would be off (0) mid (64) on (127). One program I did was to control my Boss GT-6 and it had a lot of different patterns of parameters to change...

There's NRPN (Non-Registered Parameter Number) to control pretty much every parameter a device might have, for example "LFO Envelope Attack Start Value", but that's a whole other world...

Dave
dlgebert

Re: B-3X -- Latch not working [Resolved]

Postby DarkStar » Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am

Just to add a few observations:
-- some software will treat CC data values of 0-63 as "off" and 64-127 as "on".
-- for 3-way switches, some software will treat CC data values 0-42 as stateA, 43-85 as stateB and 86-127 as stateC.

(RTFM :))

-------------------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More