Install IK software on a secondary Mac drive???

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Install IK software on a secondary Mac drive???

Postby flavorgeneral » Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 am

I'm trying to figure out how to install IK Multimedia software onto a secondary hard drive on my Mac mini. My boot drive which is an SSD does not have enough space in it but my secondary HD does. Problem is, software can only be installed on the SSD that runs macOS. Is there any way? i'm pretty sure it's a Mac issue.
flavorgeneral

Re: Install IK software on a secondary Mac drive???

Postby garfy » Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 am

Hi flavorgeneral

It is always best practice to install the actual applications on the same disc as the OS and this is definitely the case with IKM software on macOS or Windows.

However, once you have installed the main app you can then choose to install the sound content onto another drive of your choosing and a dialog box will give you that option. As long as you then make sure the main app knows the pathway where the sound content is installed (within the settings) everything will work fine. Alternatively, you can install the sound content to your main drive and then subsequently move it to a secondary drive.

The only thing to be aware of is the speed of your secondary drive may reduce the number of simultaneous voices etc. compared to SSD.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby th3madmatch3w » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:30 am

I installed the main applications to my Macintosh HD, and have been installing the sounds to a secondary drive, but I’ve noticed free space on my Macintosh HD is still going down. Like over 100 GB so far. I don’t know why it’s doing that.
th3madmatch3w

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:08 am

th3madmatch3w wrote:I installed the main applications to my Macintosh HD, and have been installing the sounds to a secondary drive, but I’ve noticed free space on my Macintosh HD is still going down. Like over 100 GB so far. I don’t know why it’s doing that.

The downloaded installers for the applications/plugins and sounds will be stored in the folder that is in your settings in Product Manager. The default setting for that will be on your system drive.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby th3madmatch3w » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:13 am

Yeah, I installed the apps into the default Mac folder, but changed the default folder in the Product Manager to the external drive to install the sounds.
th3madmatch3w

Postby Peter_IK » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:20 am

th3madmatch3w wrote:Yeah, I installed the apps into the default Mac folder, but changed the default folder in the Product Manager to the external drive to install the sounds.

Sorry if I was unclear. The downloaded installers and the locations for the programs' installation are two different things. Please check your settings in IK Product Manager for "Downloads Folder" which is almost guaranteed to be set to your main drive.
IK Multimedia. Musicians First.
YouTube - Facebook - Twitter
Need help? Our support team will be happy to help and can be reached at this link.
From the rules: Moderator decisions are not a matter for forum discussion and are final.
Peter_IK
Kingpin

Postby DarkStar » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:29 pm

----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Ginoculomerda1 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:30 pm

I have similar problem, I selected external drive from IK center as download destination but I have duplicated on my computer . I don't understand how simply put sounds and/or instruments only on the external drive .
Ginoculomerda1

Postby DarkStar » Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:55 pm

The download destination used by the IKPM is not the same thing as the destination folder for the installation of the sounds libraries. Please check the Tips thread, linked above.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby Warp415145 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:28 pm

If you want to have sound content install to a secondary drive you need to alter the sound content paths from inside sample tank itself. Sadly “Install To…” option does not make the necessary changes, and whatever your current (probably internal disk) path is first listed will be the path that it installs content to.

I became confused by this as well. Perhaps a video step by step guide on how this rather odd system works would be helpful.
Warp415145

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More