Choppy notes on playing

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Choppy notes on playing

Postby wayupnorth » Sun May 10, 2020 1:05 am

[Mod edit: split from the Official Hammond B-3X Wish List!, for discussion first]

B-3x Sustain Pedal Action: I realize, Hammond (and Hammond purists) want to retain the 'realism' of the Hammond play/feel; and, having acquiesced to even allowing ANY kind of pedal sustain was a huge concession on the part of Hammond. However, moving the Hammond sound/experience into a Midi/Keyboard/Digital environment inherently changes the rules, so-to-speak.

One could say: the real Hammond has no "sustain pedal" at all, so, why include that feature in a digital/midi/keyboard world? Fair enough: But, then...why allow the B-3X to respond to a pitch bend wheel? Why allow it to respond to a transpose function? The logic employed should be: this wonderful Hammond tone should be experienced by all musicians, in any setting and in digital/keyboard setup, and subject to the fullest extent, of the skills, styles and methods of the musician, and the hardware they use. Let the musician decide how "authentic" the hammond B-3x should feel.

For myself, I layer the Hammond sound beneath my piano. I rely extensively upon being able to hit and hold a hammond chord, leslie screaming, sustaining with my foot pedal, move quickly to a different zone of my keyboard for a piano rift, then return my hand to the hammond chord I left behind, and pickup the organ run from there.

Currently, the B-3x leaves my playing very, very choppy, since, when I return to the hammond chord which I left sustaining with the screaming leslie, and release the sustain pedal to continue to the B3 rift, even if my hand is placed back on the sustained chord, the tones disappear/cut out suddenly, leaving a big hole in the musical idea I had.

This will make the B-3x ineffective for my style of play. Please consider these thoughts, and logic, as I have finally found "the sound" of a digital Hammond clone that I've been longing for! I just cannot use it live as currently released.

Thoughts, anyone?
wayupnorth

Re: Choppy notes on playing

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 10, 2020 3:32 pm

Hello wayupnorth and welcome to the forum.

As this topic may trigger some discussion it is better to put it in its own thread; at a later stage please add your specific request for a change in behaviour to the Wish List.

I would think that currently, the notes are being sustained while the Sustain pedal is held, but when the keys are pressed again (after the piano riff is played), then the current notes are stopped and the new notes (although exactly the same) are triggered afresh.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby wayupnorth » Sun May 10, 2020 3:49 pm

Darkstar, thanks for the help getting this thread properly developed. I tried to find the 'wishlist' but could not. I will keep looking. In response to your thoughts abut the retriggering of sustained notes. IK Multimedia has made a conscious software implementation for B-3x to IGNORE retriggered notes IF the note is currently being held via sustain pedal. This means, if I sustain a B-3x chord with the pedal, remove my hand from the chord (while still pedal sustaining), play a different piano run an octave lower (with the keyboard 'zone' ONLY sounding the local MIDI Keyboard Piano sound), and then go back to the original B-3x chord (still with sustain pedal down), you would think, when the sustain pedal was lifted, that B-3x chord I just re-struck (after the piano rift), would still sound. But it does not. B-3x ignores the 2nd instance of the sustained chord. So, as you can imagine, in my mind, I am thinking I a mstill force-sustaining the B-3x chord by striking it a second time, but the tone stops sounding as soon as I lift my sustain pedal, even if my hand is on the same chord. I'll try to find the wishlist and post my suggestion there. thanks....
wayupnorth

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 pm

I should have been clearer: your post was in the "Wish List" but I moved it into its own topic otherwise we could have ended up with a lot of posts in the Wish List, making it less focussed on specific feature requests.

I suggest that you let this thread evolve with ideas / comments from other users. After that please post your specific request onto the Wish List.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 10, 2020 4:02 pm

I'm a bit confused now :)

When you return to the Hammond chord and re-press the chord's notes, do you then release the Sustain pedal? IF so, what happens and what would you expect to happen? (I'm not an organ player.)
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby wayupnorth » Sun May 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Much Appreciated: Is there a "wishlist" link on the forum/website anywhere? I am not understanding how this thread could eventually be part of a wishlist.
wayupnorth

Postby wayupnorth » Sun May 10, 2020 4:07 pm

Sorry... this in response to your "Im confused now" post: Yes, once I go back to the sustained hammond chord (after the piano run), THEN I lift the sustain pedal. That's when the hammond sound stops sounding....even IF my hand is on the same chord I had sustained a few moments earlier.
So, to answer your question: Yes, I release sustain pedal AFTER I have triggered (attempted to retrigger) the original Hammond chord. And, what I expect to happen is: to have the 2nd chord retriggered when I press the keys again (even IF the sustain pedal is still pressed).
wayupnorth

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 10, 2020 4:39 pm

^^^
Ah ha, got it, I think> :)

What you are looking for is for MIDI Notes NOT to be ignored if the Sustain pedal is pressed. Would that be OK in all circumstances?

Just for my education: if you release the Sustain, then play the chord and press Sustain again, are things then OK?

wayupnorth wrote:Much Appreciated: Is there a "wishlist" link on the forum/website anywhere? I am not understanding how this thread could eventually be part of a wishlist.

When this discussion in this runs its course, please feel free to post your feature request in the Wish List, here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22351 (which is where your post was originally).
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby wayupnorth » Sun May 10, 2020 5:21 pm

DarkStar wrote:^^^
Ah ha, got it, I think> :)

What you are looking for is for MIDI Notes NOT to be ignored if the Sustain pedal is pressed. Would that be OK in all circumstances?

Just for my education: if you release the Sustain, then play the chord and press Sustain again, are things then OK?

wayupnorth wrote:Much Appreciated: Is there a "wishlist" link on the forum/website anywhere? I am not understanding how this thread could eventually be part of a wishlist.

When this discussion in this runs its course, please feel free to post your feature request in the Wish List, here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22351 (which is where your post was originally).

Yes.To NOT ignore MIDI notes on sustain would be great in all circumstances. For myself, I can self-manage the sustain pedal action to avoid redundant organ tones/overtones that would muddy a mix and negatively affect the performance...just as I do with any other instrument tone I am using.
FYI: In my scenario, yes, when sustain is released, and chord is played again, everything is OK. Final point here: I realize these are not "real hammond" features. But, a purist can program most MIDI keyboards to DISABLE sustain pedal response for any instrument, including the B-3x, which, would then make B-3x behave more like a "real hammond."
wayupnorth

Postby dylan.haines@gmail.com » Sat May 16, 2020 7:48 pm

I will add to this, I would like B-3X to respond to my sustains pedals the way all other B3 plugins do, in fact pretty much all plugins, that is *normally*.

Sustain is unusable in it's current configuration for me. Quite annoying.

Thanks

D.
dylan.haines@gmail.com

Postby DarkStar » Sat May 16, 2020 7:59 pm

Please post your feature request in the Wish List, here: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22351 so that all the requests are in one place.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More