TIP: Importing legacy instruments into ST4 (needs ST3)

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

TIP: Importing legacy instruments into ST4 (needs ST3)

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 03, 2020 2:28 pm

Many users have asked about this, so I thought that it would be a good idea to post a Sticky, for ease of reference.

SampleTank 4 ("ST4") can load SampleTank 3 ("ST3") instruments directly; just add the ST3 library path into ST4 Settings panel / Sound Content (which should trigger a rescan).

ST4 does not have an Import feature for legacy instruments (such as ST2.5 instruments, SampleMoog, Sonik Synth 2, Expansion Tanks, Sonic Capsules, Sonic Reality's ReTanks). You can Import those Instruments into ST3 and add the ST3 library path into ST4 Settings panel / Sound Content.

The "ST4 Imported" library is used for instruments created using the ST4 Sample Editor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are the steps needed to Import your legacy instruments.

If needed:
  • download SampleTank Custom Shop (v3.7.3) from your User Area / My Products section.
  • If it is not listed there, contact Support to add it.
  • install SampleTank 3 ("ST3") (only, you probably already have the current standalone Custom Shop and Authorization Manager programs installed).
  • I understand that the ST3 installer will not run on Catalina; if so you will need to seek advice from Technical Support,
  • Authorize ST3.
  • set a suitable library path in ST3 Settings panel / Preferences tab.

The main steps are:
  • Import a legacy sounds library into ST3's library, giving the imported library a suitable name (NB this cannot be changed later so choose carefully)
  • Import the Combis for that legacy library (if any) into ST3's library, giving the imported library a suitable name (NB this cannot be changed later so choose carefully)
  • it's best to do these two steps one library at a time,
  • each imported library will have a folder in "Imported Instruments" and in "Imported Samples"
  • when all libraries are Imported, add the ST3 library path to ST4 Settings panel / Sound Content tab.

E&OE ;)
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Re: TIP: Importing legacy instruments into ST4

Postby DarkStar » Tue May 19, 2020 5:04 pm

And here's an example:

>>> https://i.imgur.com/Vg2mOWf.png

The FAQ for the folder hierarchies is here: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=1239

Please note that each Import into ST3 creates its own folder in "Imported Instruments" and in "Imported Samples" in the ST3 Sounds Library.

You will see that the folder hierarchy is different in my screenshots. That is because I have rearranged the folders in "Imported Instruments" to make them more logical / accessible. Please note that the relative paths to the sample files are embedded in the instrument files, so the "Imported Samples" folders cannot be moved.

An alternative would be to reorganise the legacy libraries BEFORE you Import them into the ST3 Sounds Library.

BIG DISCLAIMER: These steps are optional and you should only do either of them if you really understand what you are doing.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More