Sample Tank 3 problems in Studio One 4

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Sample Tank 3 problems in Studio One 4

Postby jmgsky » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:02 pm

I can't convert MIDI tracks/clips to audio in Studio One using Sample Tank 3. I can do it with other samplers, e.g. Addictive Drums 2 and Halion Sonic, using the Studio One standard 'Bounce selection' command which produces an audio track and mutes the MIDI track in readiness for just playing the audio track. Studio One shows the usual progress popup, except the audio track has no sound or waveform.

I suspect it's related to another oddity which I get with Sample Tank in Studio One but not in Cakewalk, and that is that I very frequently have to reload the sample. I've never come across this before, the sample in Sample Tank still shows, but won't make sounds via its keyboard or in Studio One when the MIDI track is played. But if I reload the sample, as if loading a new one, the sounds work again. I'm really stuck on this one, and have run out of places to look for the problem. :(
jmgsky

Re: Sample Tank 3 problems in Studio One 4

Postby DarkStar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:11 pm

I am sorry to hear about the problems you are running into.

For the first problem:
-- double-check that the MIDI is on the correct channel (or select the channel in ST3's "CH" column)
-- when you send MIDI to ST3 do you see the instrument slot's meters move?
-- when you select an instrument and click the virtual keyboard in ST3 do you see the instrument slot's meters move?

--------------------
As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one investigation and help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). Response time is usually within 2 working days, but in the current circumstances please cut them some slack.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby jmgsky » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks.

Yes, in SampleTank the keys light up in red when they are played by the MIDI track, and the channel level green indicator moves accordingly. The MIDI track sounds work ok, and depressing the ST keys with my mouse makes the expected sounds. Except every minute or so, for some unknown reason Studio One goes dumb even though ST is working, until I double click on the patch and reload it.

I tried to work around it by arming a new audio track and seeing if I could record the MIDI to it in real time, but that doesn't work. I wonder if it's something to do with my audio setup in Studio One? I don't understand the matrix here and never touch it, here are the input and output pages:
[img]http:\\www.skylinesongs.com\S1%20Audio%20Setup_1.jpg[/img]
[img]http:\\www.skylinesongs.com\S1%20Audio%20Setup_2.jpg[/img]
(Sorry, these links will work, but I don't know why the pictures don't show.... :oops: )
jmgsky

Postby DarkStar » Fri May 01, 2020 11:24 am

I do not think that the Audio I/O Setup in Studio One will be causing this problem (and, as far as I can see, it looks OK).

There seems to be some issue between ST4 ST3 and Studio One.

By the way, what plug-in format are you using? Audio Units, VST 2, VST 3, AAX? Try the VST 2 format.

--------------
As this is primarily a user to user forum, someone-else may chime in [#]. Meanwhile, the best thing to do is raise a Support Ticket, here for some one to one investigation and help (US (East Coast) Business hours, generally). Response time is usually within 2 working days, but in the current circumstances please cut them some slack.

[#] But please remember that the same symptoms do not necessarily mean the same problem.
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Postby jmgsky » Fri May 01, 2020 12:00 pm

It's VST3. I tend not to install VST2 versions, although I'm seeing the folly of this, and how for some reason the agreement between Steinberg and users of their VST3 standard don't seem to be in lock step, even after all this time. For example, Scuffham's S-Gear won't work with Cakewalk at the moment unless you use the VST2 version.

I just installed and loaded the VST2 version of ST3 and got the same results. :( :roll:
jmgsky

Postby jmgsky » Sat May 02, 2020 5:36 pm

I just downloaded the free version of SampleTank4 and this problem does not occur there. So it is an issue with SampleTank3, or at least in the way it interacts with Studio One.

Actually, I will probably just use ST4 now as it ported all my ST3 sound content over. The only drawback to that is the interface is awful compared to ST3 INMHO :o

Can I request an ST4 feature whereby the interface can be toggled if required to look like ST3's? :o :D
jmgsky

Postby DarkStar » Sun May 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Please pass the extra info onto Support.

As for the ST4, I agree. I find it hard to read (lack of contrast, tiny font is some menus).
----------------
Inspired by ...
DarkStar

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More