Articulation Switching Question: MP2 [Resolved]

Hammond B-3X, Syntronik, Syntronik Deluxe, SampleTank, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, SampleTron 2, and all Powered by SampleTank instruments and sounds for Mac/PC

Articulation Switching Question: MP2 [Resolved]

Postby UrKungFuNoGood » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:39 pm

I've loaded the violin multi as the instrument and on my MIDI track I have placed notes in the corresponding key switches but no articulation switching happens.
The track defaults to whatever I have picked in the VST GUI articulation and pays no mind to the chosen articulation on the MIDI track.
How do I employ articulation switching?
UrKungFuNoGood

Re: Articulation Switching Question: MP2

Postby garfy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:41 pm

Hey UrKungFuNoGood

It sounds like you're using it correctly as far as I can tell. Make sure that you are re-triggering the note for pitch after the keyswitch note is played - it won't switch articulation part way through a note.

If you are doing that already then I would suggest, in case no one else chimes in here with advice or a solution, you should raise a ticket with IK official support here https://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby UrKungFuNoGood » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:42 pm

"Make sure that you are re-triggering the note for pitch after the keyswitch note is played"

I don't understand what you mean by that. I have the articulations placed at the same location of the pitches that I want to have altered from detache to staccato for example.
UrKungFuNoGood

Postby garfy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:36 pm

What I was referring to was if there was an expectation that the articulation would change during a note that was already playing. The notes have to be re-triggered for the articulation change to happen.

Have you tried putting them slightly in front of the note where the articulation change needs to happen? That would give MP2 chance to get ahead of itself. However, I have just tried it with my setup using your suggestion (14 Violins Multi switching from detache to staccato) both on the note and slightly before and both switched as expected.

If it's not working for you, definitely put a ticket into support.
System Specs: 2012 Mac Mini 2.6 i7 & 2015 MBP 2.2 i7, 16GB RAM
macOS10.15.7 Logic 10.6.1 Reason 11
Various IK, NI, Waves, Softube, Eventide, XLN software
Focusrite 18i20 x 2, Novation ReMote 25SL
garfy

Postby UrKungFuNoGood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:41 am

oh ok I see what you meant. no I'm just doing a very simple transcription to try and learn the tools.

I wonder if there's a setting in my DAW that is being overlooked. (Reaper)

I'll get at it again tomorrow and put in a ticket if I can't solve it. Thank you :cheers:
UrKungFuNoGood

Postby DarkStar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:28 am

Reaper has no knowledge about key-switching notes in MP2. Those notes are just like any other notes; Reaper just sends them to the plug-in.

Make sure that the KS notes are on the same MIDI channel as the playing notes. And check that the octaves in your MIDI clip are the same as those used in ST4 (where MIDI Note #0 = C-2); set the MIDI Octave name display offset to -1 in Reaper's Preferences..

Here is an example in ST3 (for clarity, I have renamed the KS notes in Reaper's MIDI Editor):

----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Postby UrKungFuNoGood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:35 pm

OK that was the problem. C0 in MP2 is C1 in Reaper.
I feel that's an unnecessary problem to have... LOL

Articulation is switching as expected now. Thank you.
UrKungFuNoGood

Postby DarkStar » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:08 pm

Good Oh :)

Just for background info: there are several conventions used when naming MIDI notes.

• One convention (adopted by Roland and many others) is based on the 88-key piano, where middle C is C4 as it is the fourth C from the left (the very first key is A0).
  • Another convention (used by Yamaha and many DAW / plug-in manufacturers) refers to middle C as C3. In MIDI this is traditionally MIDI note #60. On that basis, MIDI note #0 is C-2
  • A third uses C5 for middle C; that way, MIDI note #0 is C0.

There is no universal agreement, so the best approach is to be able to set the name range in the software, as Reaper and other DAWs do.

--------------------
As this thread has been resolved for the original poster it will be marked as such and locked to keep the forum tidy.
  • If you are the original poster and wish to add a comment please ask a Moderator to unlock the thread.
  • If you are reading this thread because you are having similar issues or have questions of a related nature, please feel free to start a new topic.
  • Remember that similar symptoms do not mean the same problem or solution.
----------------
DarkStar ... interesting, if true.
Inspired by ...
DarkStar
Hero Of The Week (Moderator)

Return to Virtual Instruments: SampleTank, Hammond B-3X, More